none
ADMT rollback plan (intra-forest migration)

Question

• Hello
    I am planing an intra-forest migration. (creating additional DCs in Parent domain and migrate child domain on them, then decommission the child domain)
    As we know during migration process most of objects no longer exist in source domain. my source domain is a VM. If I take an snapshot or backup from source domain, when I need a rollback, can I use it? revert the snapshot? I can delete the destination OU from target domain. Can it be a solution or I am missing something?
    thanks in advance 
    Tuesday, May 7, 2019 6:16 PM

All replies

• Hello,

ADMT migrate object means it will copy the objects not move. If you need to rollback, All objects still be in place on source domain. So you don't have any losing objects on any domain.

Best Practices for Rolling Back a Migration

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/cc974385(v=ws.10)

In your scenario, you want to decommission the child domain after migrate then restore it in time of need, that’s ok, you idea is reasonable, please refer to this article for detailed information

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/cc974365(v=ws.10)

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 2:15 AM
  • Thanks for your reply dear Teemo

Based on documents in an intra-forest migration users and groups are deleted from source domain but computer objects are copied. but in inter-forest migration all objects remain in source domain after migration. 

So in my scenario (intra-forest) I need a certain method for rolling back. In none of links including your links, they are not talking about reverting an snapshot or restoring a backup. I need to know would it be an answer? after reverting the snapshot everything will be ok?

>> ADMT guide: “To ensure a succesaful rollback of an intraforest migration, dont attempt to delete the objects in the target domain and then restore them in the source domain. You will not be able to recover the objects in the source domain because they are automatically deleted by the cross-domain move proxy if a restore is attempted”

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 11:27 AM
  • Use Windows Server backup to backup your child DC and restore it on new VM.

You could backup firstly and restore it in advance , once restore successfully then execute your intra-forest migration, don’t advise using clone method.

https://searchdatabackup.techtarget.com/tip/How-to-back-up-and-restore-domain-controllers-with-Windows-Server-Backup

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 9, 2019 1:28 AM