none
Server 2008 KMS service

Question

• Greetings.

Im alittle lost it this KMS ____, let me start with som pointers:

1. You need to have 5 Servers or ABOVE! on the network. (Alternative: 25 clients or ABOVE! on the network)?

2. The KMS server MUST! be a Server 2008 R2!, or can this be done from a Server 2008 (x86)?

3. And most importent, can the KMS server replace keys? We have clients on the network that has a installed MAK key, can the server replace them once the KMS server is up and running or do i need to do i manually?

In advance, thanks!

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 7:26 AM

Answers

• As the output of slmgr.vbs /dli displays, the current count is 1. It doesn’t meet the threshold. Currently please install KMS client setup key on another 5 Windows Server 2008 or 25 Windows Vista machines to convert them to KMS clients, ensure these machines can contact the KMS host well. To install the KMS client setup key, type the following commands on the clients machine:

On Windows Server 2008 Enterprise: slmgr /ipk YQGMW-MPWTJ-34KDK-48M3W-X4Q6V

On Windows Vista Enterprise: slmgr /ipk VKK3X-68KWM-X2YGT-QR4M6-4BWMV

To ensure that the KMS clients can contact the KMS host, you can ping the KMS host server to ensure that the KMS client can communicate with KMS host, then manually assign the KMS host to a KMS client:

To assign a KMS host using the host’s version 4 IP address, type:

Cscript \windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /skms <IPv4Address><:port>

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by JawsABK Thursday, December 16, 2010 8:03 AM
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 1:29 AM
  • As the KB974998 describes, there might be one of the following reasons:

1.     The update KB968912 isn’t applied correctly on the KMS server. On the KMS server, please click Start, type: “Windows Update” in Start Search box, click “View update history”, check if KB968912 was installed and with the Successful status.

2.     The system time is different between the KMS client and KMS host. Please run the command: w32m /resync to sync the time on the client.

3.     You may happen to use the wrong KMS setup client key, please ensure that the KMS setup client key for Windows 7 Professional is: FJ82H-XT6CR-J8D7P-XQJJ2-GPDD4

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by JawsABK Friday, December 17, 2010 1:11 PM
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 9:41 AM
  • Hey Dale.

You are gonna laugh when you hear this....

First off all you and i can dust our hands off and clap our self on the shoulder, we have done everything right... by the book actually.

The main problem was that the Microsoft Product Key Team disabled the Server 2008 R2 KMS Key by a mistake, so no matter what we would have done the problem would not have been fixed. The key have been activated and its working like a charm now.

Case closed.

Merry christmas to everyone.

Friday, December 17, 2010 1:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

To answer your questions one by one:

1.     You need to have 5 Servers or ABOVE! on the network. (Alternative: 25 clients or ABOVE! on the network)?

This is the KMS activation threshold, the minimum number of physical computers within a network so as to qualify for KMS activation. KMS clients activate only after this threshold is met. To ensure that the activation threshold is met, a KMS host counts the number of physical computers requesting activation on the network. Each of these operating systems begins activating after a different threshold is met. The Windows Server 2008 KMS client threshold is 5, while the Windows Vista KMS client threshold is 25. None of these systems activate since the activation count meets the activation threshold.  

2.     The KMS server MUST! be a Server 2008 R2!, or can this be done from a Server 2008 (x86)?

Yes, it is possible. But if you install a Windows Server 2008 R2 KMS host key on Windows Server 2008, you need to get the update KB968912 to extend the support for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

3.     And most importent, can the KMS server replace keys? We have clients on the network that has a installed MAK key, can the server replace them once the KMS server is up and running or do i need to do i manually?

You can install KMS client setup keys on client machines to convert the MAK to KMS client machine. You can get the KMS client setup key from the following link:

KMS Client Setup Keys

To get better understand of KMS, please read:

Understanding KMS

Best Regards

Dale

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 8:49 AM
  • Hey Dale.

Thank you for the quick anwser.

So far so good, so lemme get this straight.

First, i install the KMS key on the 5 servers to meet the requirments threshold. That should make the KMS key active.

Second, we are using a KMS B key (Windows Server 2008 Std/Ent KMS B) which i have been told is correct by MS VLSC service.

Thïrd and last, i installed the Volume Activation Managment Tool which is pretty niffty.

Now, the downside to this story is, even tho the 5 servers are Licenced and activated, when i try to push out keys to the 320 clients we have im getting this error in VAMT after trying to install the client key and activate it:

Unknown error (0xc004f074)

And the computer is marked as "Out of box grace", after browsing around abit i found out, or atleast think the error means theres a "Missmatch between the KMS key and the Clients"

Hmmm..... ?

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 6:43 AM
  • 1.     What is the exact KMS key? Windows Server 2008 KMS B key or Windows Server 2008 R2 KMS B key? If you own a KMS B key for Windows Server 2008, just install it on Windows Server 2008 Enterprise. If you own a KMS B key for Windows Server 2008 R2, as I said above, you need to install update KB968912 on Windows Server 2008 Enterprise so as to install the KMS key.

2.     I noticed that you install the KMS key on 5 servers? Do you happen to install the KMS host key on 5 servers? If so, the 5 servers are all KMS hosts. These servers doesn’t contribute to the KMS counts to meet the threshold. The threshold limit of 5 servers is for Windows Server KMS clients machine. There is no need to setup 5 KMS host servers if there is not much computers to activate, just install the KMS host key on one Windows Server to be a KMS host server, then point other 5 combination of Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista computers as KMS clients to the KMS host. This makes the activation meet the threshold, then you can push the key to other clients for activation.

3.     Error code 0xC004F074 means “The KMS is unavailable”, please visit the following KB for detailed information:

When trying to activate you get 0xC004F074 with description "The Key Management Server (KMS) is unavailable"

Best Regards

Dale

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 7:53 AM
  • Hey again Dale.

So, if im getting this right, you need 6 servers before the KMS host will start validating the KMS clients? The KMS host does not count as a "Activation"?

Yes we have a Server 2008 R2 KMS B key, i tryed installing the KB968912 on our AD server (Server 2008 Enterprise x86) and add the R2 key after the setup and reboot, but the Windows activation says the key does not work with this type of OS and tells me to type in a none Server 2008 R2 Enterprise key.

Last thing, the KMS host is pushing out "KMS Client keys" which the KMS host is generating?

Edit: I uninstalled 4 KMS B keys from the servers so there is only one KMS host now.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 8:41 AM
  • Addtionally, please ensure that you are running Windows Server 2008 SP2, if you are running Windows Server 2008 SP1, please upgrade to Windows  Server 2008 SP2.

Best Regards

Dale

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 9:25 AM
  • Yes, I am running on Server 2008 Enterprise SP2.

After running the slmgr.vbs /dli on the host i get these informations: (skipped some lines)

Name: Windows Server(R), ServerEnterprise edition

VOLUME_KMS_B channel

Key Management Service is enabled on this machíne

Current count:1

Port: 1688

DNS publish enabled

KMS Priority: Normal

Key Managment Service cumulative requests received from clients:

Total requests received: 3

Failed requests received: 52

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 9:48 AM
  • As the output of slmgr.vbs /dli displays, the current count is 1. It doesn’t meet the threshold. Currently please install KMS client setup key on another 5 Windows Server 2008 or 25 Windows Vista machines to convert them to KMS clients, ensure these machines can contact the KMS host well. To install the KMS client setup key, type the following commands on the clients machine:

On Windows Server 2008 Enterprise: slmgr /ipk YQGMW-MPWTJ-34KDK-48M3W-X4Q6V

On Windows Vista Enterprise: slmgr /ipk VKK3X-68KWM-X2YGT-QR4M6-4BWMV

To ensure that the KMS clients can contact the KMS host, you can ping the KMS host server to ensure that the KMS client can communicate with KMS host, then manually assign the KMS host to a KMS client:

To assign a KMS host using the host’s version 4 IP address, type:

Cscript \windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /skms <IPv4Address><:port>

Best Regards

Dale

• Marked as answer by JawsABK Thursday, December 16, 2010 8:03 AM
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 1:29 AM
  • Greetings Dale.

I succsefully installed 5 client keys on 5 servers using VAMT, the count slowly went up from one to five. All 5 clients is now activated and there state says "License renewed". What confused me the most was that the KMS host did not count as a "activation" so the count never went from four to five, so this means to other people who might have slipped this information you need six! servers, or 25 clients.

Thank you for your help Dale.

Thursday, December 16, 2010 8:08 AM
  • I'm glad to see that all works great now. Just remember that the threshold is met by the activation counts number of KMS clients machine.

Best Regards

Dale

Thursday, December 16, 2010 8:40 AM
  • Hey Dale.

I might have been too happy too quick. The servers activate just fine, but my Windows 7 Pro clients still slams me the 0xc004f074 error in my face. Somthing i need to change?

Thursday, December 16, 2010 8:45 AM
  • As the KB974998 describes, there might be one of the following reasons:

1.     The update KB968912 isn’t applied correctly on the KMS server. On the KMS server, please click Start, type: “Windows Update” in Start Search box, click “View update history”, check if KB968912 was installed and with the Successful status.

2.     The system time is different between the KMS client and KMS host. Please run the command: w32m /resync to sync the time on the client.

3.     You may happen to use the wrong KMS setup client key, please ensure that the KMS setup client key for Windows 7 Professional is: FJ82H-XT6CR-J8D7P-XQJJ2-GPDD4

Best Regards

Dale

• Marked as answer by JawsABK Friday, December 17, 2010 1:11 PM
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 9:41 AM
  • The KB968612 is installed "Successful" on the server.

I have deployed the Win 7 Pro client key you posted above thru VAMT, i even tryed it manually on the client.

Still not working.

However, i cannot run the w32m /resync on the client, it says wrong syntax or incorrect batchfile. Im trying to figure out why at the moment.

EDIT: net time \\%logonserver% (or IP address) /set /y

No luck, still not working after the time sync :(

Thursday, December 16, 2010 9:52 AM
  • Hey Dale.

I have contacted Microsoft technical support via our Software Insurance, they are looking into it now. The first thing he discovered was the key needs to be a KMS R2 Key to activate windows 7 products (yes, you have to install a "64-bit key" on a 32-bit platform, huh?) but they where not going to fix it that easily! :) The problem still persists. They expect to have the problem solved Monday. I will keep you posted.

Thursday, December 16, 2010 4:15 PM
  • Hey Dale.

You are gonna laugh when you hear this....

First off all you and i can dust our hands off and clap our self on the shoulder, we have done everything right... by the book actually.

The main problem was that the Microsoft Product Key Team disabled the Server 2008 R2 KMS Key by a mistake, so no matter what we would have done the problem would not have been fixed. The key have been activated and its working like a charm now.

Case closed.

Merry christmas to everyone.

Friday, December 17, 2010 1:11 PM