none
DNS scavenging RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a question about scavenging.

In the root of the server "Server Aging/Scavenging Properties" the option "scavenge stale recorders" is not check.

but in the Zone properties it checked and set to "no-refresh interval"=2 days and "Refresh interval"=27 days, so after 29 days it should scavenged steal records. 

It's seems to be not working, and old records are not been deleted.

Do I have to check the option in the root of the server? if YES, what should I put in "no-refresh interval" and "Refresh interval"?

Is there any log for failure?

Thanks,

Lior 

Thursday, October 10, 2019 1:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>>In the root of the server "Server Aging/Scavenging Properties"

After the non-refresh interval and refresh interval, the records are considered to be stale but will not be cleared.

You need to “Enable automatic scavenging of stale records”.

For more details about How DNS Aging and Scavenging works, you can refer the following article:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/21724.how-dns-aging-and-scavenging-works.aspx

Hope this can help you, if you have anything unclear, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Ellen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 11, 2019 9:39 AM
  • Hi,

Hi,

I read the article, there is something I don't understand.

In the Zone level I configure scavenging :

"no-refresh interval"=2 days and "Refresh interval"=27

In the root level I configure automatic scavenging, what should be scavenging period? It's effect all zone's in DNS.

Friday, October 11, 2019 12:40 PM
  • Hi,

Even after the no-refresh and refresh intervals have both expired, a record will most likely not be scavenged immediately, as scavenging is controlled by a server's scavenging period, which is independent of the other two intervals.

Scavenging period can also be called the scavenging interval. This is how frequently the scavenging process runs on the designated DNS server. When the scavenging period is configured on a DNS server, the timer starts for 7 days (or whatever the configured value is). Once the timer expires, the scavenging process runs.
    7 days for scavenging is a default setting, you can leave it alone or configure whatever value you want.

In addition, it is recommended to configure No-refresh Interval and Refresh Interval settings being less than the DHCP Lease Period.

I think you could understand better by reading the following articles:

Information about Aging and Scavenging:

How DNS Aging and Scavenging Actually Work:

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

How DNS Scavenging and the DHCP Lease Duration Relate:

Hope this can help you, if you have anything unclear, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Ellen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 8:14 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Ellen

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 2:45 AM
  • Hi,
    As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will propose it as ‘Answered’ as the information provided should be helpful.
    If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.
    Best regards,
    Ellen

Friday, October 18, 2019 2:19 AM