none
Cannot rename DC, "Cannot create a file when that file already exists."

Question

• Hi,

A long time ago we used a domain controller named jacob.mydomain.lan.  It was removed, possibly in a 'dirty' way, and now we cannot re-use that name for another domain controller.  In the meantime we have upgraded to Win 2012 domain controllers now, and when I enter this to rename:

netdom computername ourdc.mydomain.lan /add:jacob.mydomain.lan

I get the error:  "Unable to add jacob.mydomain.lan as an alternate name for the computer.  The error is:  Cannot create a file when that file already exists."

If I enter: 

netdom computername ourdc.mydomain.lan /remove:jacob.mydomain.lan

I get: "The command completed successfully", but it still refuses to add jacob.mydomain.lan

After each attempt to add a forward zone dns record 'jacob.ourdomain.lan' has been created.  I always erase this manually afterwards.

What is the problem? How can I search to find the offending 'file' named 'jacob'?

Thanks a lot for help on this.

regards Tor

Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:43 AM

Answers

All replies

• Have you tried the metadata cleanup?

How to remove data in Active Directory after an unsuccessful domain controller demotion

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216498

Monday, December 31, 2012 7:05 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the information provided should be helpful. If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best Regards

Kevin
    Wednesday, January 2, 2013 6:42 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for getting back late, but we have had a week + off :-)

The suggested kb216498 describes metedata removal for older server versions, but when I followed the instructions there ( just out of curiosity) the DC names finally listed were only the current (valid) ones, the stale (and unwanted) name jacob.mydomain.lan did not appear.  

Does this mean that the offending exisisting 'file' is somewhere in the dns data?  

Thanks for any more help on this

regards Tor

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 12:42 PM
  • Kevin,

I suggest you wait 30 days instead of 3 days before you enthusiastically close threads. Some people might think you are being a jerk if you don't.
    Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will mark it as �??Answered�?? as the information provided should be helpful. If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW, we�??d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best Regards

Kevin

Tomás Mason
    Saturday, February 23, 2013 10:52 PM
  • same here.  metadata cleanup doesn't show the offending server.  It only shows the valid ones.  I want to rename one of my valid servers to the name of the old DC, but I get this "Cannot create a file when that file already exists." error. 
    • Proposed as answer by Brumsky Friday, January 23, 2015 6:22 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Brumsky Friday, January 23, 2015 6:22 PM
    Monday, May 19, 2014 11:33 AM
  • I know this is an old post.  I had the same issue and I was able to resolve it. 

I had to remove the old computer name objects from AD.  Once I did that I was able to rename 4 domain controllers using Netdom.

• Proposed as answer by Brumsky Friday, January 23, 2015 6:24 PM
    Friday, January 23, 2015 6:24 PM