none
Sound Card Emulation in Hyper-V?

Question

•  

Does anyone know if Hyper-V includes / will include sound emulation for the virtual machines?
    Thursday, January 31, 2008 9:38 PM

Answers

•  

At this stage there is no support for Sound Cards, USB or LPT Parallel Ports in Windows Server Hyper-V.

That said, many of us would enjoy the support for those devices in certain scenarios though.

Cheers,

Stephen Edgar

Friday, February 01, 2008 1:28 AM

All replies

•  

At this stage there is no support for Sound Cards, USB or LPT Parallel Ports in Windows Server Hyper-V.

That said, many of us would enjoy the support for those devices in certain scenarios though.

Cheers,

Stephen Edgar

Friday, February 01, 2008 1:28 AM
  • Are there plans on implementing any of those features into future releases of Hyper-V?

Friday, April 11, 2008 10:50 PM
  • If you connect to your VMs via RDP (RDP direct to the VM) you can enjoy the benefits of RDP passthrough devices.

And you will have a printer, USB devices, and sound.

• Proposed as answer by Brian Borg Wednesday, October 07, 2009 8:55 PM
    Friday, April 11, 2008 11:05 PM
  • "connect to your VMs via RDP"/ What is RDP? and how to setup?
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 11:38 PM
  •  RDP is the protocol used by Remote Desktop Connection.
    Sunday, October 12, 2008 4:00 AM
  • Sorry, it is not true. If you connect into (Hyper-V) VM by RDP, you have not any sound because your VM has not any sound device emulator ! Only old VirtualPC 2007 have sound devicve emulator (based on very simple old Creative Soudblaster card).
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 12:19 AM
  • Funny - I am listening to music from a Hyper-V VM over RDP right now.  You may need to manually enable sound support - depending on what OS you are running.  Here is what you need to do for Windows Server 2003: http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2006/06/29/648105.aspx.  I'll see if I can blog the details for Vista / Windows Server 2008 at some time.
    Cheers,
    Benjamin Armstrong
    ============================
    Windows Virtualization
    Senior Lead Program Manager

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 1:20 AM
    Owner
  • Hi, mea culpa, i was too quick with my keyboard.
    On the Windows 2008 with installed Hyper-V, it is possible to hear sound from Vista VM if:

1) I connect to VM from other computer via RDP, and set on this remote computer RDP manager to: "transfer sound into this computer". Connect headphone into the remote computer.
    2) I conect into VM from main host server 2008, but by RDP (not by Hyper-V manager). RDP manager properies must by set to "Transfer sound into this computer". Connect headphone into the host computer.

Attention: Only one RDP connection with sound into the host PC VMs is possible. If I conect to 2 VMs on the same host, with sound, the host server go into the death state (not response to any action on the host PC). Only reboot is possible. I test sounds with MS media player only.
    Vladimir

Thursday, January 22, 2009 2:08 AM
  • Besides enabling Windows Audio service and the Client configuration "Bring to this computer", I had to go into Terminal Service Configuration on the Windows 2003 Server as well and uncheck disable: "Audio Mapping". This seems to be disabled by default on my machine. Not sure if it is Windows 2003 SP2 normal default or a group policy.

Friday, January 23, 2009 8:25 AM
  • Hello there,

I hope that you can help me.

I am running a quad core server with 8gb of memory and windows server 2008 r2 rc.  I am hyper v'ing out to 3 other servers, one of which is another instance of windows server 2008 r2 rc.

I am using the later server, as the core basis for my home network, running active directory, dhcp, dns, file services, remote desktop services, iis, and wsus.

Its when Im using this server as a media server that I start running into trouble.

As MS doesnt support dlna under media player, I have had to install tversity in order to stream my media to a playstation 3 and 3 dreamboxes (I try to keep servers as MS only, but in this case I dont seem to have any other option - please correct me if Im wrong here).

The streaming works fine, but when it gets to transcoding, it fails because I think there is no sound card supported under hyper v.  I have tried enabling the windows audio service, but this doesnt help me, as it may work for a remote desktop session but Im not connecting under rdp, but directly under upnp (via tversity).

If you have any advice, it would be appreciated.  I would rather avoid running tversity on the root server as I would prefer to keep this clean, ie hyper-v and backup only.

Thank you in advance,

Mark

Sunday, July 19, 2009 11:14 PM
  • Hi

Same problem/situation as Mark.

Any solution?

-Alexander
    Wednesday, October 07, 2009 8:49 PM
  • Here are instructions complete with screen captures on how to enable sound in a Hyper-V vm when using RDP to connect:

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/john_paul_cook/archive/2009/09/14/enabling-sound-on-hyper-v.aspx

If that doesn't do what you need, Hyper-V isn't appropriate for your use case. It was developed for server applications other than multimedia applications. As such, it offers only very limited multimedia capabilities.
    • Proposed as answer by toby1naz Friday, June 21, 2013 4:34 PM
    Wednesday, October 07, 2009 9:27 PM
  • Well, "It was developed for server applications" is no excuse because many "server applications" now days use some kind of transcoding in the process. Streaming, video converting, etc. many of them are server applications. We have many problems because of this and many people who use "server applications" ask us for sound card support. VmWare is also designed for server applications and it has sound. Also gone are days when server applications just processed text or database, even 3d graphics card emulation/mapping would be good in virtual environments.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:51 AM
  • Well, "It was developed for server applications" is no excuse because many "server applications" now days use some kind of transcoding in the process. Streaming, video converting, etc. many of them are server applications. We have many problems because of this and many people who use "server applications" ask us for sound card support. VmWare is also designed for server applications and it has sound. Also gone are days when server applications just processed text or database, even 3d graphics card emulation/mapping would be good in virtual environments.

I would have to agree with this statement.

That RDP trick does work to get sound out of those VMs. Unfortunately if you have installed an application that requires a sound card, it just won't run.
    Got a mp3 applications installed on a WinXP-SP3 (host is Win2008 R2 Datacenter), and well the application just won't start seeing it doesn't detect a sound card.
    Sure, all the windows sounds work seeing I'm connecting to it via remote desktop. That still doesn't solve my problem of applications needing a sound card to start up.

Too bad I may have to go back to VMware products. Had high hopes for Hyper-V. Loved the networking configuration, but I need those sound cards in my virtual machines.
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 5:23 PM
  • The solution: http://www.e2esoft.cn/vsc/

Trial SW, but since I only need the HW emualtion and newer use the GUI, I have never been asked for register or something.
    It's just working.

-Alexander
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 5:28 PM
  • Mr. Abentzen,
    you may have just saved me from re-installing many, many machines... LOL
    Thank you very much, and if this works (so far so good) I'm buying you a cookie. :)

-loneferret
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 5:40 PM
  • There's another solution similar to the one Abentzen suggested, it's Virtual Audo Cable (VAC): http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.html

It creates a set of virtual audio devices named "Virtual Cables", each of them consists of a pair of the waveform input/output devices. Any application can send audio stream to an output side of a cable, and any other application can receive this stream from an input side. All transfers are made digitally, providing NO sound quality loss (a bitperfect streaming).
    I have it running in 2 VMs. I am then using RogueAmoeba’s “Airfoil” and stream the sound output to 2 x Airport Express – that also works fine and is, in connection with an iPod Touch, a near perfect multiroom audio solution with a “headless” audio server.
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 12:44 PM
  • that does not work for anything needing the audio card to function..

Monday, March 07, 2011 7:55 PM
  • Hello,

I am facing the same issue, I have a VPS running Windows Server 2008 R2 (Hyper-V) and although both of the above mentioned virtual sound cards work and show up under device manager, none of them appear in any of the software...

Ironically, when I connect via RDP, it creates a driver called 'Remote Audio' and this IS visible in the software and I can use it, not really to get sound to my own PC, but I can use it for the purpose I got the server, which is streaming (lets not debate my choice here!), but obviously, when I log off my RDP session, this driver is disabled. SURELY, there is a way of keeping this driver enabled after log off??

Has anyone else found a solution?

THanks

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 6:13 AM
  • Hey BrianEh, Thanks for this suggestion, this works perfect.

I'm running Win 7 through Hyper-V on a Server 2008 box. 

Saturday, July 02, 2011 6:53 AM
  • I don't think this solution solves all problems. As technology is created and grows, you will find some individuals running into situations where audio needs to be captured from a virtual machine with no active RDP connection. I am running into this problem and am faced with new challenges because of it. If we could simply attach a virtual sound adapter this would be perfect. Is it maybe possible to have a driver or software installed that emulates a sound device?

The solution I am working on is for a very large project, and sound is a small part of it. RemoteFX works perfectly for our needs, now if we could address the sound...

Friday, November 04, 2011 8:29 PM
  • There's another solution similar to the one Abentzen suggested, it's Virtual Audo Cable (VAC): http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.html

It creates a set of virtual audio devices named "Virtual Cables", each of them consists of a pair of the waveform input/output devices. Any application can send audio stream to an output side of a cable, and any other application can receive this stream from an input side. All transfers are made digitally, providing NO sound quality loss (a bitperfect streaming).
    I have it running in 2 VMs. I am then using RogueAmoeba’s “Airfoil” and stream the sound output to 2 x Airport Express – that also works fine and is, in connection with an iPod Touch, a near perfect multiroom audio solution with a “headless” audio server.
    Didn't Try Abentzan's suggestion but can confirm that VAC free trial works perfictly to allow teverity to successfully transcode media to be streamed on a Hyper-V 2008 R2 Guest Machine.

D

Sunday, August 12, 2012 12:23 PM
  • Hi, mea culpa, i was too quick with my keyboard.
    On the Windows 2008 with installed Hyper-V, it is possible to hear sound from Vista VM if:

1) I connect to VM from other computer via RDP, and set on this remote computer RDP manager to: "transfer sound into this computer". Connect headphone into the remote computer.
    2) I conect into VM from main host server 2008, but by RDP (not by Hyper-V manager). RDP manager properies must by set to "Transfer sound into this computer". Connect headphone into the host computer.

Attention: Only one RDP connection with sound into the host PC VMs is possible. If I conect to 2 VMs on the same host, with sound, the host server go into the death state (not response to any action on the host PC). Only reboot is possible. I test sounds with MS media player only.
    Vladimir

Thanks. I just tried this out and it works.
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 2:05 AM
  • Unless your vbox uses a version of Windows (like win 7 home premium) that MS generously made sure RDP connections weren't supported on.
    Sunday, November 11, 2012 8:17 PM
  • Have NO idea how to get this to work.  Install on vbox?  How do you map it anywhere when the vbox can't see the real sound card? Instlal on server?  What good does that do? Doesn't work at all for me, and there's certainly no instructions on their site regarding this kind of usage.
    Sunday, November 11, 2012 8:41 PM