none
RDS CAL loading & activation timing... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

A vCloud provider handed over 2 servers to me, one to be DC and one to be RDS.

They decided it was a good idea to load the RDS server roles and per User CALS into the RDS Server before handing over to me without telling me.

I then begun to setup the DC and joined the RDS server to the domain after that without knowing or checking RDS roles were installed...and now we are getting a warning the CALS are not activated...Remote Desktop Licensing service also will not start.

Do we need to remove RDS roles and start again or can the CALS be reloaded and activated?

vCloud admins tell me they want to remove RDS roles and start again...WTF!?

As always, thanks in advance...

durrie.

Thursday, July 4, 2019 10:08 AM

Answers

• hi,
    "They decided it was a good idea to load the RDS server roles and per User CALS into the RDS Server before handing over to me without telling me."
    do they give you rds server cal purchase agreement.if you have you will be the rds server cal purchase owner .

"vCloud admins tell me they want to remove RDS roles and start again"
    yes ,you need to remove all rds role then reinstall them again.but before you remove RDS role ,you need to take 3 pictures about connection method(your licese server id and product id),required information,optinal information in RDLS properties like picture.
    It will help you to re-enroll RDS CAL to your rebuilding RD licensing server.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 4, 2019 3:10 PM

All replies

• hi,
    "They decided it was a good idea to load the RDS server roles and per User CALS into the RDS Server before handing over to me without telling me."
    do they give you rds server cal purchase agreement.if you have you will be the rds server cal purchase owner .

"vCloud admins tell me they want to remove RDS roles and start again"
    yes ,you need to remove all rds role then reinstall them again.but before you remove RDS role ,you need to take 3 pictures about connection method(your licese server id and product id),required information,optinal information in RDLS properties like picture.
    It will help you to re-enroll RDS CAL to your rebuilding RD licensing server.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 4, 2019 3:10 PM
  • hi,
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Monday, July 8, 2019 2:42 AM
  • hi,
    Is there anything to help you?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Monday, July 15, 2019 3:57 AM
  • Apologies for the delayed response...the issue has been resolved...

The vCloud admins were reluctant to give me the keys and purchase agreement information as these CALS belong to them not to us...as part of their SPLA licensing model...

I ended up creating a service account for them and they managed to sort the RDS Licensing server and Service out...but broke the RDS links in Windows Server Manager which I managed to fix in the back end XML file. So far we are back up and running, that being said I have no idea if they removed and re-added the Roles and Features...

Monday, July 15, 2019 2:53 PM
  • HI.
    Thanks for your reply. I am glad to hear that your issue is solved.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 9:51 AM