none
Hyper v VM not able to start after vSAN RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Not able to start the Virtual machine after configured vSAN getting the below error, we have 2 physical host, and 1 storage. i'm trying to do configure SQL failover cluster in the VM, so shared storage planning to attach from storage.  created the lun in the storage and created virtual san in the Hyper v manager and assigned the vSAN in fiber channel adapter in the VM. but when trying to start the VM i'm getting the below error. 

Regards,

Manikandan
    Tuesday, October 15, 2019 5:35 AM

Answers

• Again, does your HBA vendor support virtual HBAs under Hyper-V?  Have to start with having hardware that supports what you are trying to do in software.

You may also want to consider posting further questions about the efficacy of your solution to the SQL HA experts over in their forum located at https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=sqldisasterrecovery.  Yes, clustering SQL in VMs is fully supported, but I know some of the experts have strong opinions about better solutions, depending upon your requirements.

tim

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 1:36 PM

All replies

• Does your HBA vendor support virtual fibre channel under Hyper-V?  That is the first requirement you need to determine.

The recommended way to configure a Hyper-V cluster is to use shared virtual disks.  It is highly unlikely that you will obtain any better performance by using virtual fibre channel than by using shared virtual disks.  And to configuration and management is much more simple for shared virtual disks than for virtual fibre channel.  For virtual fibre channel, you need to define and manage twice as many connections from the VM to the storage.  Virtual fibre channel is available if it makes sense, but about the only place I ever used it was in a lab to see that it worked.  Never deployed a production system with it.

tim

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 3:52 PM
  • Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply.

We are trying to do SQL Cluster on the guest OS, created LUN on the storage and connected Storage directly to 2 physical server using Fibre Channel, created virtual SAN in Hyper v and mapped for the VM. and starting the VM we are getting the error.

Regards,

Manikandan

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 7:51 AM
  • Again, does your HBA vendor support virtual HBAs under Hyper-V?  Have to start with having hardware that supports what you are trying to do in software.

You may also want to consider posting further questions about the efficacy of your solution to the SQL HA experts over in their forum located at https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=sqldisasterrecovery.  Yes, clustering SQL in VMs is fully supported, but I know some of the experts have strong opinions about better solutions, depending upon your requirements.

tim

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 1:36 PM
  • Hi Tim,

I have checked HBA vendor is supported with Hyper v , but identified if we directly connect storage to Server, Virtual Fiber Channel will not work and we have connect via Switch.

Regards,

Manikandan 

Friday, October 18, 2019 3:58 AM

• Did you get anything useful in SQL HA forum?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 21, 2019 6:50 AM
  • Hi Danie,

i got confirmation from our storage vendor, if we connect storage directly to server NPIV will not supported so we may need to go with SAN Switch, then only we can achieve this. 

Regards,

Manikandan

Monday, October 21, 2019 10:36 AM
  • OK,If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

In addition, please be kind enough to "mark it as an answer" for helping more people.

Regards,
    Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 7:34 AM