Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy has stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• I cannot get a backup of my server. Backup Exec 2010 and Windows backup both fail with this error

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
      Application Name:    vssvc.exe
      Application Version:    6.0.6002.18005
      Application Timestamp:    49e02c5c
      Fault Module Name:    vssvc.exe
      Fault Module Version:    6.0.6002.18005
      Fault Module Timestamp:    49e02c5c
      Exception Code:    c0000005
      Exception Offset:    000000000005ced2
      OS Version:    6.0.6002.2.2.0.272.7
      Locale ID:    1033
      Additional Information 1:    a6a7
      Additional Information 2:    0fd6f37fe1e6a863e27c44430331b685
      Additional Information 3:    121a
      Additional Information 4:    998a6339445daa719bfed095ebefa601

Read our privacy statement:
      http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

It happens almost immediatly after starting a backup.

The story behind this server is that is a recovery from a crash. It is a Vsphere 4 VM. It had a snapshot on it that VMware had made during a patch, and a Snapshop from Backup Exec 2010 when it was trying to make a backup.

The server ground to a halt, rebooted and did not come back up.

Since then, we recovered the server from a much earlier backup, recovered all the mail, but I still can't make a successful backup. I'm totally stuck on what to do next. Any ideas?

Thursday, July 8, 2010 4:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try the following steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
    2. Type the following commands at a command prompt. Press ENTER after you type each command.
    3. cd /d %windir%\system32
    4. Net stop vss
    5. Net stop swprv
    6. regsvr32 ole32.dll
    7. regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
    8. regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
    9. vssvc /register
    10. regsvr32 /i swprv.dll
    11. regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
    12. regsvr32 es.dll
    13. regsvr32 stdprov.dll
    14. regsvr32 vssui.dll
    15. regsvr32 msxml.dll
    16. regsvr32 msxml3.dll
    17. regsvr32 msxml4.dll

Note: If there is any error occurs when running one of the above commands, please write it down and post here.

After finish the steps, try to do a backup again to see the result. If still failed, check if there is any new error. Please also post here.

Shaon Shan| TechNet Subscriber Support in forum| If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Friday, July 9, 2010 7:30 AM
  • Thanks so much for the reply.

ole32.dll succeeded

oleaut32.dll succeeded

vss_ps.dll succeeded

swprv.dll succeeded

When regsvr32ing eventcls.dll I got an error "The module "eventcls.dll" was loaded but the call to DllInstall failed with error code 0x8000fff

When registering es.dll I got an error "the module "es.dlll" was locaed but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found. Make sure that "es.dll" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again (I'll see if I can find them on one of our other servers and retry this. looks like its not there)

stdprov.dll succeeded

vssui.dll succeeded

when registering msxml.dll I got an error "the module "msxml.dll" failed to load. Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it. (looks like it is missing too)

msxml3.dll succeeded

when registering msxml4.dll I got an error "the module "msxm4l.dll" failed to load. Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it. (looks like it is missing too)

Without those 2, or a reboot, it did fail again

Friday, July 9, 2010 6:32 PM
  • Roger,

Would it be possible for me to see the vssvc.exe dump created when the process crashed? Also a copy of the event logs would be helpful. Would it be possible for you to drop them on your SkyDrive with a pointer?

Thanks,

Ron Stock [MSFT]

Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Monday, July 12, 2010 5:07 PM
  • sure, how do I do that?
    Monday, July 12, 2010 9:47 PM
  • Roger - Instead of using the free SkyDrive space included with Live accounts, please upload the system and application event logs to this Secure File Transfer Site- 

https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=b83f6c4d-8f17-4e83-b684-859240d354d3 

Password: H$GBHEpwGtLO

Choose the option to Upload data to Microsoft. Please upload the process memory dump created when the process crashes too.

Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
      Application Name:    vssvc.exe
    ß---------
      Application Version:    6.0.6002.18005
      Application Timestamp:    49e02c5c
      Fault Module Name:    vssvc.exe

Thanks,

Ron Stock [MSFT]

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Monday, July 12, 2010 10:39 PM
  • Ok, i didn't find a minidump, so I just uploaded the apps and system logs.
    I did get a successful backup for no reason this morning.
    Monday, July 12, 2010 11:01 PM
  • Roger - Did the backup work again today? I'll downloaded the event logs and I'll take a look today. Please configure the system to capture process dumps using these steps -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps
    Value Name = DumpType
    Data type: REG_DWORD
    Value Data = 2

Once enabled, the dump can be found at %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\WER

After the next failure please upload the vssvc.exe dump to the file transfer site.

Thanks,

Ron Stock [MSFT]

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 4:34 PM
  • I did that with the registry and yea I got another good backup last night. Its confusing because basically all I did was run the lines above that Shaon Shan suggested, and moved the backups forward 4 hours so that they don't run the same time the databases on the exchange server run maintenance.
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 5:54 PM
  • Roger - Thanks for the additional info. The lines Shaon prescribed basically self-register the VSS DLLs and solve a large majority of the VSS cases we see in support. It’s possible the registering of the DLLs coupled with the reboot brought the VSS Writers to a stable state. We don’t necessarily prescribe it on Windows Vista\2008 Server and higher because Windows component installation is manifest based, and most of the registry is locked down even to the Administrator.

You mentioned you're no longer running parallel backup jobs. There is a known issue described in KB 975928 "A parallel backup operation may fail when the operation is performed by Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS)". The symptoms are a little different (not a crashing VSS process) but you were running parallel backup jobs with a VSS failure so it wouldn’t hurt to update the VSS binaries by applying the fix. I would only do it if you continue to see back up jobs failing. Based on your system event log you're running - 6.00. 6002 Service Pack 2 so the article would apply to your OS. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975928 

Thanks,

Ron Stock [MSFT]

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 10:49 PM