none
Hyper-V Cluster Quorum RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I want to implement a Hyper-V Cluster with 2 Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 and a HP SAN.
    I know that I have to create a quorum disk for the cluster but what's about the size? How much MB or GB should I use for the Quorum disk?

Regards!

Friday, November 13, 2009 7:29 AM

Answers

• Use a small Logical Unit Number (LUN) that is at least 512 MB in size.  <--- So here is the Microsoft Recommendation
  • Choose a basic disk with a single volume.
  • Make sure that the LUN is dedicated to the disk witness. It must not contain any other user or application data.
  • Choose whether to assign a drive letter to the LUN based on the needs of your cluster. The LUN does not have to have a drive letter (to conserve drive letters for applications).
  • As with other LUNs that are to be used by the cluster, you must add the LUN to the set of disks that the cluster can use. For more information, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=114539.
  • Make sure that the LUN has been verified with the Validate a Configuration Wizard.
  • We recommend that you configure the LUN with hardware RAID for fault tolerance.
  • In most situations, do not back up the disk witness or the data on it. Backing up the disk witness can add to the input/output (I/O) activity on the disk and decrease its performance, which could potentially cause it to fail.
  • We recommend that you avoid all antivirus scanning on the disk witness.
  • Format the LUN with the NTFS file system.
  • Marked as answer by Nitz Daniel Monday, November 16, 2009 8:30 AM
Sunday, November 15, 2009 3:29 AM

All replies

• Hiya,

We are running 1GB quorum disk size, which seems to do the trick. 4 nodes 48 machines.
    Friday, November 13, 2009 7:57 AM
  • We use a 5 Gig Quorum disk for 2 nodes (which is overkill for us). Actual size of data is less than 2 Meg's Hope this helps.

Scott Weber
    Friday, November 13, 2009 3:07 PM
  • Use a small Logical Unit Number (LUN) that is at least 512 MB in size.  <--- So here is the Microsoft Recommendation
  • Choose a basic disk with a single volume.
  • Make sure that the LUN is dedicated to the disk witness. It must not contain any other user or application data.
  • Choose whether to assign a drive letter to the LUN based on the needs of your cluster. The LUN does not have to have a drive letter (to conserve drive letters for applications).
  • As with other LUNs that are to be used by the cluster, you must add the LUN to the set of disks that the cluster can use. For more information, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=114539.
  • Make sure that the LUN has been verified with the Validate a Configuration Wizard.
  • We recommend that you configure the LUN with hardware RAID for fault tolerance.
  • In most situations, do not back up the disk witness or the data on it. Backing up the disk witness can add to the input/output (I/O) activity on the disk and decrease its performance, which could potentially cause it to fail.
  • We recommend that you avoid all antivirus scanning on the disk witness.
  • Format the LUN with the NTFS file system.
  • Marked as answer by Nitz Daniel Monday, November 16, 2009 8:30 AM
Sunday, November 15, 2009 3:29 AM