none
Windows Storage Server SAN cluster For Sql Server Cluster RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to cluster deployment and ISCISI terminaligy so please excuse my ignorance/possible incorrect use of terms.

I am trying to create a Failover Sql Server Cluster.  I have been able to successfully do this using FreeNas installed on one computer and Sql Server installed as a 2 node failover cluster using FreeNas as an ISCSI target.  However my ultimate goal is to create a 2 node SAN Cluster with a 2 node Sql Server Failover cluster.

The problem is i have not been able to find a detailed tutorial how to create the 2 node SAN cluster.   Preferably i would like to use MS Storage Server if it is able to do that.  If not what other options are there?  will starwind accomplish what i am trying to do?

All four boxes currently have Microsoft Enterprise Server 2008 installed.

Monday, February 28, 2011 2:16 PM

Answers

• Hi there,

As the SAN is third party specific hardware storage solution, I would like to suggest you contact the vendor to see if they have existing Guide for configuring SAN cluster.

For Windows OS level, you may refer to following document to setup cluster.

How to: Create a New SQL Server Failover Cluster (Setup)
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms179530.aspx

Hope it helps.

Scorprio

TechNet Software Assurance Managed Newsgroup MCTS: Windows Vista | Exchange Server 2007 MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician | Server & Enterprise Admin | System Architect
    Monday, February 28, 2011 2:39 PM
  • I am new to cluster deployment and ISCISI terminaligy so please excuse my ignorance/possible incorrect use of terms.

I am trying to create a Failover Sql Server Cluster.  I have been able to successfully do this using FreeNas installed on one computer and Sql Server installed as a 2 node failover cluster using FreeNas as an ISCSI target.  However my ultimate goal is to create a 2 node SAN Cluster with a 2 node Sql Server Failover cluster.

The problem is i have not been able to find a detailed tutorial how to create the 2 node SAN cluster.   Preferably i would like to use MS Storage Server if it is able to do that.  If not what other options are there?  will starwind accomplish what i am trying to do?

Go StarWind! There's a manual on how to configure SQL cluster by Microsoft MVP Danny Cherry with it included:

http://www.starwindsoftware.com/white-papers

Good luck!

Anton

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 7:14 PM

All replies

• Hi there,

As the SAN is third party specific hardware storage solution, I would like to suggest you contact the vendor to see if they have existing Guide for configuring SAN cluster.

For Windows OS level, you may refer to following document to setup cluster.

How to: Create a New SQL Server Failover Cluster (Setup)
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms179530.aspx

Hope it helps.

Scorprio

TechNet Software Assurance Managed Newsgroup MCTS: Windows Vista | Exchange Server 2007 MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician | Server & Enterprise Admin | System Architect
    Monday, February 28, 2011 2:39 PM

Go StarWind! There's a manual on how to configure SQL cluster by Microsoft MVP Danny Cherry with it included:

http://www.starwindsoftware.com/white-papers

Good luck!

Anton

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 7:14 PM