none
Windows 2008 DFS Initial Replication Not Completing- This member is waiting for initial replication for replicated folder <folder name>

Question

• I'm having an issue getting DFS initial replication to complete and need help troubleshooting it. The primary is running Windows Server 2008 SP2 and the behavior is the same regardless if another member is running Windows Server 2008 SP2 or Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

The initial replication never completes and running the following dfsrdiag command reveals a single "blank" file in the backlog (file name is blank). This appears to enable replication to continue working from the primary to the other members, but not the other way around.

dfsrdiag backlog /RGName:GIARepl /RFName:GIAFileSystem /SendingMember:GIACINHOST3 /ReceivingMember:GIACINFILESVM1

Thanks in advance.

Bill Thacker

Thursday, June 14, 2012 5:27 PM

Answers

• I ended up opening a support case with Microsoft Support and wasn't charged, because the issues were resolved by appying DFSR related hotfixes to the DFS members within the topology. As you'll see from the link below, there are separate hotfixes available for Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2. I'm hoping these get rolled up into the next Service Pack for these operating systems, because managing hotfixes is a pain.

List of currently available hotfixes for Distributed File System (DFS) technologies in Windows Server 2008 and in Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968429

Bill Thacker

• Marked as answer by Bill Thacker Friday, July 06, 2012 12:22 PM
    Friday, July 06, 2012 12:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Bill,

Above all, if file size is large, it is recommanded to do the prestaging step before starting initial replication. You could use backup-restore steps to do the prestaging.

Here are the steps to redo the initial replication. You could test if it will be finished this time.

1.       Stop and ALSO disable the DFSR service on <ServerA> server (don't just simply stop it)

2.       In Windows Explorer open the specific drive

3.       Right click on the "System Volume Information" directory and select Properties\Security

Note: You might need to select the option for "Show hidden files, folders or drives" and also uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" in the folders view options to be able to even see the "System Volume Information" directory.

4.       Grant your user account that you're logged in with (if a member of Administrators group this will also suffice) "Full Control" to the "System Volume Information" directory.

Note: You may get an error on setting security on some files - this is expected.

5.       Open an elevated/Administrative command prompt. Switch to the "<drive letter>:\System Volume Information" directory

6.       Type the command "rmdir DFSR /s"

7.       Enable and re-start the DFSR service on <ServerA> server

8.       We will then set the <ServerA> server as the Primary member with dfsradmin.exe utility –

Dfsradmin Membership Set /RGName:<RG Name> /RFName:<RF Name> /MemName:<Member Name> /IsPrimary:True

Note: Files will be replicated from ServerA to all other targets. So if there is any newer file on other target servers, backup before starting replication.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 15, 2012 5:39 AM
  • Shaon,

The total file size is somewhat large (~230 GB), but 99%+ of the content has made it to the other receiving members so pre-staging at this point isn't necessary.

I'm going to go perform the steps you provided for redoing the initial replication, so I'll get back to you after the results are in (success or not). Hopefully this will do the trick. Thanks so much.

Bill Thacker

Friday, June 15, 2012 1:06 PM
  • Shaon,

I performed the steps you provided for redoing the initial replication, which seemed to be processing fine for a couple hours until a new/different problem arose. After a couple hours the primary (sender) logged a 2104 Error- The DFS Replication service failed to recover from an internal database error on volume D:. Replication has been stopped for all replicated folders on this volume. Right after that a 4004 Error was logged- The DFS Replication service stopped replication on the replicated folder at local path D:\GIAFileSystem.  database error on volume D:. Replication has been stopped for all replicated folders on this volume.

DFS appeared to have recovered from this within a few minutes when it logged a 2002 and 2214 Informational Event. The 2214 Event states- The DFS Replication service successfully recovered from an unexpected shutdown on volume D:.This can occur if the service terminated abnormally (due to a power loss, for example) or an error occurred on the volume. No user action is required.

The problem is that DFS replication appears to have stopped, because the transaction backlog is over 900k and is not decreasing like I've seen it do rather quickly in the past. Like a lot of people I've noticed online, I'm starting to get extremely frustrated with DFSR. Any suggestions at this point?

Bill Thacker

Friday, June 15, 2012 5:53 PM
  • Hi Bill,

Sorry for the delay in reply.

As the file size is large, you could test to do a prestaging with robocopy or backup-restore to copy files to target server first before re-enable DFSR. This could reduce the heavy load of DFSR when doing the initial replication. Check if it could back to work.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 06, 2012 7:49 AM
  • I ended up opening a support case with Microsoft Support and wasn't charged, because the issues were resolved by appying DFSR related hotfixes to the DFS members within the topology. As you'll see from the link below, there are separate hotfixes available for Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2. I'm hoping these get rolled up into the next Service Pack for these operating systems, because managing hotfixes is a pain.

List of currently available hotfixes for Distributed File System (DFS) technologies in Windows Server 2008 and in Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968429

Bill Thacker

• Marked as answer by Bill Thacker Friday, July 06, 2012 12:22 PM
    Friday, July 06, 2012 12:22 PM