none
ADSIEdit error code: 0x57 - FGPP

Question

• Hi all,

I created a PSO using the adsiedit and at the end when I click finish to close the wizard I get the following error message,

Operation failed. Error code: 0x57

The parameter is incorrect.

00000057: LdapErr: DSID-0C090C30, comment: Error in attribute conversion operation, data 0, v1db0

I checked all the parameters and they are all correct as it was mentioned in the procedure. Any idea what it might be?

Thanks in advance,

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 1:46 PM

Answers

• Mavrick,

verify that the DN of the group/user you specified is correct (i.e. its format is correct and the group/user actually exists). A quick way to obtain it is by running dsquery user -name username or dsquery group -name groupname

hth
    Marcin

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 3:50 PM
  • Also, is it possible any of the DN values have a character that must be escaped? For example, a comma in a Common Name must be escaped with the backslash escape character. For example:

cn=Smith\, James,ou=West,dc=MyDomain,dc=com

The characters that must be escaped include the following:

, \ # + < > ; " =

Also, leading and trailing spaces must be escaped, but not embedded spaces.

Richard Mueller

MVP ADSI
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 4:16 PM
  • I found out why I could not delete the PSO! The option "Protect object from accidental deletion" was checked on the PSO object that is in "Active Directory Users and Computers/domain name/System/Password Settings Container"!

Friday, July 23, 2010 8:45 AM

All replies

• Hello,

so you followed this way on the server or a management machine?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754461(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_1

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 2:06 PM
  • Hello,

Yes! I followed this procedure http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754461(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_1 on a DC. Curiously, if I skip the step 12-16 (for adding users or groups), then I don't get any error message!

Best regards,

Mavrick

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 2:56 PM
  • Mavrick,

verify that the DN of the group/user you specified is correct (i.e. its format is correct and the group/user actually exists). A quick way to obtain it is by running dsquery user -name username or dsquery group -name groupname

hth
    Marcin

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 3:50 PM
  • Also, is it possible any of the DN values have a character that must be escaped? For example, a comma in a Common Name must be escaped with the backslash escape character. For example:

cn=Smith\, James,ou=West,dc=MyDomain,dc=com

The characters that must be escaped include the following:

, \ # + < > ; " =

Also, leading and trailing spaces must be escaped, but not embedded spaces.

Richard Mueller

MVP ADSI
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 4:16 PM
  • Thank you all for your answers and your help. There was indeed an error in the DN value!

However, there are two ways to add users/groups to the list when you edit <!-- [if gte mso 10]> <mce:style> msDS-PsoAppliesTo . One way to do that is by clicking the Add Windows Account... and the second way is by clicking the Add DN. Does it make a difference which way you add users/group?

Kind regards,

Mavrick

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 11:19 AM
  • Not as far as I know...

hth
    Marcin

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 11:30 AM
  • Thanks for quick reply!

Kr,

Mavrick

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 11:44 AM
  • Hi,

It looks like other users have encountered the same error. I would like to add the excellent suggestions that are offered in this thread to the topic, to help prevent more users from getting confused. Please let me know if you have any objections to that, and thanks for the great help!

Justin [MSFT]

Active Directory Documentation Team

Justin [MSFT] Active Directory Documentation Team
    • Proposed as answer by Dubliner2 Thursday, July 15, 2010 7:16 AM
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 12:48 AM
  • I want to delete a PSO in the ADSI Edit console but I get the error message

"Operation failed. Error code: 0x5

Access is denied.

00000005: SecErr: DSID-0315202A, problem 4003

(INSUFF_ACCESS_RIGHT), data 0"

If I'm not wrong, it has to do with my access privilege. But, I am logged in as a member of the Domain Admins group. Why do I still get this error message?

Kind regards,

Mavrick

Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:54 AM
  • I found out why I could not delete the PSO! The option "Protect object from accidental deletion" was checked on the PSO object that is in "Active Directory Users and Computers/domain name/System/Password Settings Container"!

Friday, July 23, 2010 8:45 AM
  • I found the reason why this error occur. you should fill out the duration form like 0:00:00:00, not 00:00:00:00. :)
    Monday, August 04, 2014 5:40 AM