none
Windows 7 Remote Administration Firewall group RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to easily allow remote management of the Windows 7 desktops in my domain using the common MMC snap-ins. When I check the Windows Firewall with Advanced Settings I do not see the Remote Administration group listed.

A bit of Googling leads me to this command which is supposed to allow remote administration using most of the MMCs snap-ins. However, I get an error since the group does not exist.

C:\Windows\system32>netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="Remote Administration" new enable=Yes

No rules match the specified criteria. 

What is the correct command to enable this rule group?

Now the fun thing is I tried the old command to enable this from Windows XP/2003 which works! It also causes the group to show up but throws a warning saying the command is deprecated and to use "netsh advfirewall firewall" instead.

IMPORTANT: Command executed successfully.
    However, "netsh firewall" is deprecated; use "netsh advfirewall firewall" instead.
    For more information on using "netsh advfirewall firewall" commands
    instead of "netsh firewall", see KB article 947709 at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=121488 .
    Friday, January 7, 2011 10:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your post here.

As you can see that there is no "Remote Administration" firewall rule in Windows 7. You may need to create the firewall rule manually to enable inbound remote administration.

Monday, January 10, 2011 7:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post here.

As you can see that there is no "Remote Administration" firewall rule in Windows 7. You may need to create the firewall rule manually to enable inbound remote administration.

Monday, January 10, 2011 7:21 AM
  • You can try this. It has worked for me on my Win 7 machine.

C:\>netsh firewall set service type=remoteadmin mode=enable

IMPORTANT: Command executed successfully.
    However, "netsh firewall" is deprecated;
    use "netsh advfirewall firewall" instead.
    For more information on using "netsh advfirewall firewall" commands
    instead of "netsh firewall", see KB article 947709
    at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=121488 .

Ok.

C:\>NETSH advfirewall firewall SET rule group="remote administration" new enable=yes

Updated 3 rule(s).
    Ok.

C:\>

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 7:38 PM
  • Here is the advfirewall command to do the equivilent:

netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="Windows Remote Management" new enable=yes

• Proposed as answer by Primoo3571 Monday, December 22, 2014 6:07 PM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 11:00 PM