Windows Server Compatibility with VMware ESXi Patch for Meltdown/Spectre RRS feed

• Question

• I have been told by a director that I need to confirm that VMware's ESXi600-201711101-SG patch for our ESXi 6.x hosts is compatible with Windows Server 2008 (32 and 64 bit), 2008 R2 Server, 2012 R2 Server and 2016 Server guests. (To me the compatibility is implied since VMware knows there are millions of Windows VMs out there.)

Does anyone know the best way to get this in writing? Does anyone know of a Microsoft article that can attest to this?

If I open a support case I'm afraid I won't get that information.

Thursday, January 11, 2018 8:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    Based on my research, it seems that there is no information about incompatibility about the two patches.
    And you could follow the article as below to see the details of VMware Meltdown and Spectre performance tests after patching the updated from Microsoft and VMware.
    https://www.virtualizationhowto.com/2018/01/vmware-performance-impact-of-meltdown-and-spectre-patches/
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    Best Regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by CFS-BC Monday, January 15, 2018 3:49 AM
    Monday, January 15, 2018 3:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Based on my research, it seems that there is no information about incompatibility about the two patches.
    And you could follow the article as below to see the details of VMware Meltdown and Spectre performance tests after patching the updated from Microsoft and VMware.
    https://www.virtualizationhowto.com/2018/01/vmware-performance-impact-of-meltdown-and-spectre-patches/
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    Best Regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by CFS-BC Monday, January 15, 2018 3:49 AM
    Monday, January 15, 2018 3:06 AM
  • Thanks for the link. That is actually quite helpful.
    Monday, January 15, 2018 3:50 AM