none
Migrate Windows server 2008 32bit to Windows server 2008 R2? RRS feed

• Question

• Our church has a Windows Server 2008 32bit server on its domain. We have recently acquired a 64bit server and installed Windows Server 2008 R2. We would now like to migrate our AD to the Windows Server 2008 R2 system.   I tried to perform ADPrep on the Windows Server 2008 32bit DC using the Windows Server 2008R2 DVD and executing ADPrep32 /forestprep but that does not work. How do I prep the forest and domain for Windows Server 2008 R2?

Cal Miyatake

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 5:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• Our church has a Windows Server 2008 32bit server on its domain. We have recently acquired a 64bit server and installed Windows Server 2008 R2. We would now like to migrate our AD to the Windows Server 2008 R2 system.   I tried to perform ADPrep on the Windows Server 2008 32bit DC using the Windows Server 2008R2 DVD and executing ADPrep32 /forestprep but that does not work. How do I prep the forest and domain for Windows Server 2008 R2?

Cal Miyatake

Please describe that does not work

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 2, 2015 2:48 AM
  • Hi,

We need more detailed error message about the issue.

If you are preparing for Windows Server 2008 R2 and your existing domain controllers run 64-bit version of Windows Server, use Adprep.exe in the support/adprep folder of the operating installation disk. By default, Windows Server 2008 R2 runs a 64-bit version of Adprep.exe. If you are preparing for Windows Server 2008, there is only one version of adprep.exe, located in the sources/adprep folder.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771461(v=ws.10).aspx

Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, July 2, 2015 6:30 AM
  • The forest is in 2008 functional level.   The Windows 2008 32bit server was the first server in the domain.   The Windows 2008R2 server was recently added. It is the only 64 bit server on the domain now.  It is still a member server.   However, I'd like to move the Domain Controller role to the Windows 2008R2 server.   So, to do that I knew I had to ADPREP the forest and domain "on" the Windows 2008 32bit server since it exists as the only DC currently. 

I joined the Windows 2008R2 server to the domain.   I then attached the Windows 2008R2 files to the Windows 200832bit server so that I could execute ADPREP32 /forest on the server.  When I tried to do that I was given a message stating that ADPREP32 could not be used on the server.  So, I know I've missed something.  

How do I adprep a Windows 2008 32bit server so that it can support Windows 2008R2 server?

Cal Miyatake

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 6:48 AM
  • The current DC is 32bit.   I have only recently added Windows 2008R2 (64bit) to the domain.  It is still a member server.  Mu objective is to DCPROMO the Windows 2008R2 server.  cAn't do that without ADPREP the forest.

Cal Miyatake

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 6:51 AM
  • 1. Do diagnostics with dcdiag

2. Do troubleshooting

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2008/12/15/troubleshooting-adprep-errors.aspx

and here

https://technet.microsoft.com/cs-cz/library/dd464018(v=ws.10).aspx

3. Any traces in Event logs?

4. It is good to use exact error wording. Use it also in initial search. You may not be alone to encounter this error.

5. Use parameter for refining exit codes. See syntax in

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731728.aspx

6. Hope you are doing this step with proper user account

7. Many problems are caused by missing updates, DNS issues, remnats from previous configurations (metadata cleanup is needed), DNS cache, wrong configuration of DNS IP adresses, etc

M.

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 2:21 AM
  • thanks very much

Cal Miyatake

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 3:36 PM
  • Hi,

I just want to confirm what is the current situation.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 5:41 AM