none
Server 2012 R2 DFS RRS feed

• Question

• Guys.

Got a weird issue. I have two Server 2012 R2 servers running DFS. I have been using the get-dfsrbacklog command for months with out issue. After i restarted SERVER-B i am unable to retrieve the DFS backlog from either SERVER-B or SERVER-A. I receive the message below. 

I am unsure what the issue is and google is not turning up much. Can anyone advise?

Get-DfsrBacklog : Could not retrieve the backlog information. Replication group: "EUHome" Replicated folder: "EUHome"

Source computer: SERVER-B Destination computer: SERVER-A Confirm that you are running in an elevated Windows
    PowerShell session and are a member of the local Administrators group on the destination computer. The destination
    computer must also be accessible over the network, and have the DFSR service running. This cmdlet does not support WMI
    calls for the following or earlier operating systems: Windows Server 2012. Details: The WS-Management service cannot
    process the request.The computed response packet size (1461270) exceeds the maximum envelope size that is allowed
    (512000).
    At line:1 char:1
    + Get-DfsrBacklog -SourceComputerName EUXDFS02 -DestinationComputerName SERVER-A - ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ProtocolError: (EUXDFS02:String) [Get-DfsrBacklog], DfsrException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Get-DfsrBacklog.CimException,Microsoft.DistributedFileSystemReplication.Commands.GetDfsr
       BacklogCommand

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 8:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In the end of this error message it mentioned:

The WS-Management service cannot process the request.The computed response packet size (1461270) exceeds the maximum envelope size that is allowed (512000).

It seems that the return string is larger that the client side of WSMAN (the WinRM listener).

Please try to run this command line to enlarge the size: 

winrm set winrm/config @{MaxEnvelopeSizekb="2048"}

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 7, 2015 9:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The WS-Management service cannot process the request.The computed response packet size (1461270) exceeds the maximum envelope size that is allowed (512000).

It seems that the return string is larger that the client side of WSMAN (the WinRM listener).

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 7, 2015 9:55 AM
  • Hi,

That command results in the following error: 

"Error: Invalid use of command line. Type "winrm -?" for help.

Thursday, July 23, 2015 1:47 PM
  • That command can be run in an elevated PowerShell window, but it takes additional steps.

Run the same command in an elevated command prompt instead of in PowerShell. It should work there.

I just faced this same issue myself, and banged my head against it for hours before finding this document:

http://blucorenetizen.blogspot.com/2011/09/invalid-use-of-command-line-winrmerror.html

• Proposed as answer by aseques Monday, February 6, 2017 2:16 PM
    Thursday, July 23, 2015 6:35 PM
  • Thanks and for the record (other people's search hit) this problem shows-up in Hyper-V Client on Windows 10 1703 connecting to Hyper-V Server 2016 Windows 10 1703 VM when attempting to capture a screen shot. I couldn't find any hit on that, maybe the new WinRM defaults in Hyper-V server are lower, or 2016/1703 Windows is using a larger/higher quality buffer for the screen captures by default (screen capture worked up until the 1703 VM booted in UEFI OOBE mode = with Microsoft VM UEFI graphics/integration active). Had to set it to 4096 in my case, it wanted just over 2MB (for a screen capture)!

• Edited by Code Chief Friday, June 9, 2017 7:18 AM
    Friday, June 9, 2017 7:17 AM