none
Add node to windwos multisite/multisubnet cluster RRS feed

• Question

• We have two windows 2008 R2 Datacenter server on-premises with 10.0.20.0 subnet

We have one windows 2008 R2 Datacenter virtual machine on Microsoft Azure with 192.168.10.0 subnet.

We have already IPSec site-to -site VPN setup up and running between on-premises and Azure.

We have already created two node windows cluster on-premises.

But I unable to add 3rd node (Azure vm) to windows cluster.

How I will add azure vm node to existing windows cluster?

ABDUL HAFEEZ MCSE MCITP

Thursday, April 28, 2016 12:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• Bing is a wonderful tool - maybe this will help - Checklist: Setting Up a Clustered Service or Application in a Multi-Site Failover Clusterhttps://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/a5e5fc11-97db-48b2-85fb-f5780822a26f

Have you followed the instructions provided in this link?

. : | : . : | : . tim

Thursday, April 28, 2016 8:38 PM
  • First, can your Azure VM resolve the FQDN of your on-premise AD domain? Second, can your Azure VM resolve the FQDN of your on-premise failover cluster? Third, is your Azure VM configured to use asymmetric storage? The error when you add the Azure VM to your WSFC should give you an idea of what the issue is.

Edwin Sarmiento SQL Server MVP | Microsoft Certified Master/Solutions Master
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    Learn SQL Server High Availability and Disaster Recovery

Friday, April 29, 2016 4:54 AM
  • First, can your Azure VM resolve the FQDN of your on-premise AD domain?

YES

Second, can your Azure VM resolve the FQDN of your on-premise failover cluster? 

YES

Third, is your Azure VM configured to use asymmetric storage?

Waht is this? We dont requird shared storage/SAN

It add node to cluster then remove it and say can't add

ABDUL HAFEEZ MCSE MCITP

Friday, April 29, 2016 7:21 AM
  • Did you run the cluster validation wizard before trying to add the third node?  That will point you to any issues the clusters finds 'suspect'.  Besides, if you want support on the configuration, Microsoft will ask for the output from the cluster validation wizard as one of their first items in assisting you on a support call, so you might as well have it.

Friday, April 29, 2016 12:49 PM
  • I ran cluster validation wizard but it stuck and take too much time and it shows "take longer than expected time" message. I takes more than 8 to minutes than I will cancel. 

ABDUL HAFEEZ MCSE MCITP

Monday, May 2, 2016 6:45 AM
  • Well, canceling the wizard will not help find what the cause of the issue is.  In order to have a supportable cluster, Microsoft requires a report from the validation wizard.

Did you read the article on steps to create a multi-site cluster?  What step is failing during the addition of the third node?

You state you don't need shared storage.  What sort of application are you running on the cluster that does not use shared storage?

Monday, May 2, 2016 1:29 PM
  • I will configure MS SQL 2012 Always on High availability group.

But Always on High availability group requirement is windows cluster.

So first we have to setup windows cluster. 

ABDUL HAFEEZ MCSE MCITP

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 4:56 AM
  • Did you read the article on steps to create a multi-site cluster?  What step is failing during the addition of the third node?

I also suggest you re-run the cluster wizard so you get the information it can provide.

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 11:32 AM
  • I am getting following error

ABDUL HAFEEZ MCSE MCITP

Thursday, May 5, 2016 4:51 AM
  • Okay, that is what is happening when you try to join the node to the cluster.  What is the output of the cluster validation wizard?  I don't mean to sound like a broken record, the but validation wizard is a tool designed to find most configuration errors before you try to establish a cluster, as well as a debugging tool after a cluster is formed.

Here is an article about creating a cluster that spans local and Azure nodes - http://windowsitpro.com/hybrid-cloud/extend-failover-cluster-windows-azure

Thursday, May 5, 2016 11:34 AM