none
Certificate template "Unavailable": The specified role was not configured for the application. RRS feed

• Question

• I have looked all over the Internet trying to figure out what to do next to solve this problem to no avail.

What I am trying to accomplish is to simply use the MMC certificate snap-in on my Windows Server 2012 R2 server to create a certificate using the "User" template.  But that template is not available for use in creating a certificate.  At first it was not available because that particular template was not available for "Enroll" in security settings.  But I changed that and now I get the message:

The specified role was not configured for the application.
    This type of certificate can only be issued to a user.

The account I am using to perform this operation is a user, administrator, domain-administrator, and many other roles.  I am looking for a laundry list of all of the things that can go wrong so I can check through them one by one.  But none of the lists I have found so far include something that helps.

Thursday, February 26, 2015 9:47 PM

Answers

• Hi John,

I suggest you choose the “My user account” option when you load the certificates snap-in as below:

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, February 28, 2015 6:26 AM