none
2008 R2 - Do not know if next backup will be incremental. RRS feed

• Question

• I am backing up to a NAS and I used the WSB wizard to change the backup time however it said "Your first backup will begin at 3:00 AM".  I just spent 12 hours on my first backup and I want this next one to be incremental.  How can I find out if it will overwrite the original tonight or will just be incremental?
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 11:37 PM

Answers

• Hello.

Yes. This is an inherent limitation of backups taken to network shares. However since we would be doing incremental backup, the backup window should be small and there should't be a case where you are left with no backups. Note that guarantee that subsequent backup doesn't tamper with existing backup on network share would require 2x space.

Thanks,

Sriram [MSFT]

Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:02 AM

All replies

• Hello.

There is no way to determine upfront whether WSB will do an incremental backup.

When backup is taken to NAS (network share) using WSB, the subsequent backups will overwrite the original backup as only one version will be available on the share at any time.

However, this doesn't mean that subsequent backups will be full. It can still be incremental with respect to the previous backup. WSB will overwrite only the changed files if doing a file-level backup or overwrite only the change blocks if doing a block-level backup.

Hope that clarifies.

Thanks,

Sriram [MSFT]

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 5:33 AM
  • Thank you for the information even though it is a bit disappointing.

If I was sure it would overwrite I would change the location so I could at least be safe in the event of a failure during the backup.  I am assuming perhaps too quickly that I could restore from the original location if a failure occurred at the second location?

On a related note: does the threat of having only one backup at one NAS location mean that if a failure occurred during the backup process the one and only backup would be rendered unusable or perhaps unreliable?

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 6:52 AM
  • Hello.

Yes. This is an inherent limitation of backups taken to network shares. However since we would be doing incremental backup, the backup window should be small and there should't be a case where you are left with no backups. Note that guarantee that subsequent backup doesn't tamper with existing backup on network share would require 2x space.

Thanks,

Sriram [MSFT]

Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:02 AM