Virtual Machine Bus driver in Vista not installed, Hyper V Integration Services not recognized RRS feed

• Question

• Although the integration services installed properly, there is a yellow exclaimation on the  Virtual Machine Bus driver in Vista. I can get network connectivity through the legacy driver. The error message in the service manager states "Install error: No driver selected for device information set or element. E0000203. Using the error search turned up a reference to Virtual Server compatibility, but this is Hyper V, not VS.

Vista machine was on VMM. From same VMM I am successfully running Server 2003 on the Server 2k8 hyper V. New installation, no other roles, workgroup, new Dell 1950 all firmware updated.
    Friday, July 11, 2008 11:58 AM

Answers

• Did this vm originally come from Virtual Server or Virtual PC? Or did you create it from scratch in Hyper-V?

When a Vista or 2008 vm comes from VS or VPC, you need to:

1. run msconfig
    2. go to the Boot tab
    3. click the Advanced options button
    4. check Detect HAL
    5. click OK
    6. click OK
    7. reboot the vm
    8. apply Integration Services
    Friday, July 11, 2008 2:45 PM

All replies

• Did this vm originally come from Virtual Server or Virtual PC? Or did you create it from scratch in Hyper-V?

When a Vista or 2008 vm comes from VS or VPC, you need to:

1. run msconfig
    2. go to the Boot tab
    3. click the Advanced options button
    4. check Detect HAL
    5. click OK
    6. click OK
    7. reboot the vm
    8. apply Integration Services
    Friday, July 11, 2008 2:45 PM
  • This did the trick! I could not find this info anywhere I looked. Thank you!

Monday, July 14, 2008 5:53 AM
  • Thank you John Paul

You just saved me many hours (already spent tons on this).

We are in the midest of a huge (for me anyway) 2008 domain switch and hyper-v from VS 2005 weekend.

I might even get done in time now.  Thank you ever so much.

Some phrases I was searching on, maybe they will help others find this post.

Integration services do not install

Integration services install but don't work
    • Edited by Paul Mitton Saturday, August 2, 2008 8:40 PM Typos
    Saturday, August 2, 2008 8:39 PM
  • i have the same issue on windows2003 servers and windows 2008 r2 but the option detect hal doesnt exist in those. is there some other way you can trigger this on those? i also had a windows 2008 and i checked the option and it worked fine.

i also noticed that the new integration service is installed but it dowesnt update the drivers if you manually uppdate the driver it will detect the new version and install it little more job though since you need to do it on all devices. 

/JR

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 8:18 AM
  • I had the same problem after a MS 2003 server P2V conversion with "sysinternals disk2vhd" (free tool from microsoft). My vm started in my hyper-v server 2008 but a "code 39" was observed for two devices "virtual machine bus" and "catch mouse something..." because i ran add-on's setup from the support\x86 folder and the HAL was not updated. To solve this problem;

run the Virtual Machine Additions cd-rom by right-clicking the drive and selecting Autoplay

Friday, December 3, 2010 9:02 PM
  • it took me hours to find this solution. Thank you very much John
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 12:11 AM