none
Windows 7 Backup and Restore questions RRS feed

• Question

• I have some questions about backup and restore for ten Dell OptiPlex 740 computers running Windows 7 Pro.

in a public library.  No user data is involved (these are public-access computers) so the backing up is an effort to

quickly recover from a crashed HDD.  I am creating a system image disk of drive C: (80 gigabyte HDD) on

drive E:(same type of 80 gb HDD) and creating a CD-ROM system repair disk at the same time.  I have read the

FAQ: "Restore your computer from a system image backup" but still have these questions.

1. In creating the system image disk does it matter if the original is a dynamic or a basic disk?  (I was trying

mirroring but gave up on that idea but the C: drive was left as dynamic.)  (Others are still basic.)

2. Say the C: drive crashes and I take it out.  I move the E: drive into the C: drive's slot.  I use the repair disk

to restore the system.  Will it now boot and work like the original or do I have to worry about boot managers, etc.?

3. Will this repair disk work on the other nine systems if they have been formatted and the C: drives in each used to

create system images on the E: drive in each.  Or must I create ten repair disks?

Thanks, Ken Rogers

Sunday, June 5, 2011 9:29 PM

Answers

• Hi Ken,

Please understand this TechNet forum is for Windows server support only. As this issue is related to Windows 7, I suggest discussing it in our Windows 7 forum. They are the best resource to answer your question.

Windows 7 IT Pro
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro/

Brent
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, June 6, 2011 4:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Ken,

Please understand this TechNet forum is for Windows server support only. As this issue is related to Windows 7, I suggest discussing it in our Windows 7 forum. They are the best resource to answer your question.

Windows 7 IT Pro
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro/

Brent
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, June 6, 2011 4:01 AM
  • Sorry, I've moved it to the W7 performance forum.

Ken

Monday, June 6, 2011 11:01 AM