Server 2012 High availability - Load balanced DHCP RRS feed

• Question

• I have two sever 2012 boxes with DHCP role installed on both. They are set up in a load balancing cluster.

How often do they sync or replicate to each other. I have noticed when I create a reservation on one, or a host gets a IP lease, it doesn't show up for a while on the other dhcp server.

How often to they sync?  Is there a way to configure how often they sync/replicate?

Sunday, October 14, 2012 10:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Please note that the lease information will replicate immediately between DHCP servers in load balance mode. However, the Reservation setting is considered as scope configuration, it will not automatically replicate between servers. Beside Reservations, also Exclusion and Scope option, we need to manually replicate it. We can sync it at single Scope level (Right click Scope Name -> Replicate Scope…) or at Server level with all failover Scope (Right click IPv4 -> Replicate Failover Scopes ).

Best Regards,

Aiden

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Aiden Cao

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Allen-CCWTech Wednesday, October 17, 2012 12:59 AM
    Monday, October 15, 2012 9:17 AM

All replies

• Hello, 

Probably this blog guides you in right direction to configure DHCP Cluster.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/teamdhcp/archive/2012/06/28/ensuring-high-availability-of-dhcp-using-windows-server-2012-dhcp-failover.aspx

Regards, Ravikumar P

Monday, October 15, 2012 7:39 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Please note that the lease information will replicate immediately between DHCP servers in load balance mode. However, the Reservation setting is considered as scope configuration, it will not automatically replicate between servers. Beside Reservations, also Exclusion and Scope option, we need to manually replicate it. We can sync it at single Scope level (Right click Scope Name -> Replicate Scope…) or at Server level with all failover Scope (Right click IPv4 -> Replicate Failover Scopes ).

Best Regards,

Aiden

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Aiden Cao

• Marked as answer by Allen-CCWTech Wednesday, October 17, 2012 12:59 AM
    Monday, October 15, 2012 9:17 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Best Regards,

Aiden

Aiden Cao

Thank you!!

I wish they would have had the reservation automatically replicate, however I think Microsoft is going in the right direction getting rid of the old 80/20 configuration.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 12:59 AM
  • We also facing the same issue, Reservation and exclusion IP Address is not replicating to partner DHCP Server. we need manually configure the same.

Microsoft Please help or suggest.

Thanks/Regards, Avijit Dutta

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 9:44 AM