Domain Controller In-place Upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We are planning to in-place upgrade our Windows 2008 R2 based domain controllers to Windows 2012 R2 domain controllers. We have multi-site environment with around 90 domain controllers spread geographically. I read through a number of articles, however not finding answers to the following questions:

1.        In a multi-site environment, which AD site to upgrade first, specifically, the one with FSMO roles or any site domain controllers can be upgraded first?
    2.        As we have FSMO roles placed on two different domain controllers, one with Schema Master and Domain Naming Master roles and another domain controller with all the three domain-wide FSMO roles – If there’s any recommendation to upgrade the FSMO role holders first, which one in this case should be upgraded first?
    3.        In this scenario, what would be the best strategy:
      1.        In-place upgrade any one of the domain controller OR
      2.       Introduce a completely new Windows 2012 R2 domain controller first and then in-place upgrade the rest of the legacy domain controllers.

Thanks

Taranjeet Singh

zamn

Saturday, November 14, 2015 4:22 PM

Answers

• Hi

1-  In a multi-site environment, which AD site to upgrade first, specifically, the one with FSMO roles or any site domain controllers can be upgraded first? >>>> first,You should migrate fsmo roles holder.(PDC),then migrate the other DC's.

2- As we have FSMO roles placed on two different domain controllers, one with Schema Master and Domain Naming Master roles and another domain controller with all the three domain-wide FSMO roles – If there’s any recommendation to upgrade the FSMO role holders first, which one in this case should be upgraded first?>>> Just add Server 2012 r2 as an Additional DOmain Controller,then transfer fsmo roles,first you migrate schema and domain naming master,then migrate other roles.

3- In this scenario, what would be the best strategy:
    2.       Introduce a completely new Windows 2012 R2 domain controller first and then in-place upgrade the rest of the legacy domain controllers. >>> I always prefer to install clean installation of server then promote it as DC,so in-place upgrade also not recommneded.for all DC's.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Saturday, November 14, 2015 4:54 PM
  • Hi

We are planning to in-place upgrade our Windows 2008 R2 based domain controllers to Windows 2012 R2 domain controllers. We have multi-site environment with around 90 domain controllers spread geographically. I read through a number of articles, however not finding answers to the following questions:

1.        In a multi-site environment, which AD site to upgrade first, specifically, the one with FSMO roles or any site domain controllers can be upgraded first?
    2.        As we have FSMO roles placed on two different domain controllers, one with Schema Master and Domain Naming Master roles and another domain controller with all the three domain-wide FSMO roles – If there’s any recommendation to upgrade the FSMO role holders first, which one in this case should be upgraded first?
      2.       Introduce a completely new Windows 2012 R2 domain controller first and then in-place upgrade the rest of the legacy domain controllers.

Thanks

Taranjeet Singh

zamn

1. I would usually start with a hub site (e.g. where the FSMO holders usually live). When you upgrade or transfer the PDCe holder, a handful of new built-in groups necessary to support new features will get created. Additionally, there are some new features that light up as soon as the first Windows Server 2012 R2 DC is on the network, so placing that centrally wouldn't hurt.

2. It doesn't really matter what order you do it in.

3. Personally I try not to get in the business of doing in-place upgrades, clean is always good. If you are going to in-place the whole setup, I would do them all the same way.

Thanks,
    Brian

Consulting | Blog | AD Book

Saturday, November 14, 2015 6:13 PM

All replies

• Hi

1-  In a multi-site environment, which AD site to upgrade first, specifically, the one with FSMO roles or any site domain controllers can be upgraded first? >>>> first,You should migrate fsmo roles holder.(PDC),then migrate the other DC's.

2- As we have FSMO roles placed on two different domain controllers, one with Schema Master and Domain Naming Master roles and another domain controller with all the three domain-wide FSMO roles – If there’s any recommendation to upgrade the FSMO role holders first, which one in this case should be upgraded first?>>> Just add Server 2012 r2 as an Additional DOmain Controller,then transfer fsmo roles,first you migrate schema and domain naming master,then migrate other roles.

3- In this scenario, what would be the best strategy:
    2.       Introduce a completely new Windows 2012 R2 domain controller first and then in-place upgrade the rest of the legacy domain controllers. >>> I always prefer to install clean installation of server then promote it as DC,so in-place upgrade also not recommneded.for all DC's.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Saturday, November 14, 2015 4:54 PM
  • Hi

Thanks

Taranjeet Singh

zamn

1. I would usually start with a hub site (e.g. where the FSMO holders usually live). When you upgrade or transfer the PDCe holder, a handful of new built-in groups necessary to support new features will get created. Additionally, there are some new features that light up as soon as the first Windows Server 2012 R2 DC is on the network, so placing that centrally wouldn't hurt.

2. It doesn't really matter what order you do it in.

3. Personally I try not to get in the business of doing in-place upgrades, clean is always good. If you are going to in-place the whole setup, I would do them all the same way.

Thanks,
    Brian

Consulting | Blog | AD Book

Saturday, November 14, 2015 6:13 PM
  • Thanks you very much guys for your valuable suggestions.

zamn

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 7:30 PM