none
DNS Server shows up as not configured RRS feed

• Question

• We have 4 domain controllers. I noticed on one of them, DNS was showing up as not configured. The service was stopped. Event viewer shows it terminating unexpected every time it tries to start. No other details is provided with the error.

I decommissioned that DNS server and then tried promoting another server. After active directory gets installed and configured, server reboots, and the same thing happens to DNS on this machine.

DNS is working fine on the other machines. But ever since the first server failed, I'm unable to get DNS running on ANY new domain controller that I add to the domain.

Any ideas?

I'm using Windows Server 2008 R2.

Friday, December 22, 2017 10:25 PM

All replies

• What's in the system event log?

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, December 22, 2017 10:51 PM
  • It just says DNS terminated unexpectedly. 
    Friday, December 22, 2017 11:47 PM
  • Might check if this hotfix was installed as it appears to be problematic for DNS service KB3145216

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, December 22, 2017 11:56 PM
  • I decommissioned that DNS server 

I'd also check old ones were properly removed.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816907%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Saturday, December 23, 2017 12:01 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 25, 2017 1:34 AM