none
RDP: Remote administration mode Vs. Application mode RRS feed

• Question

• I apologize for posing a very basic question.

Where can I locate a detailed description about the technical differences between remote administration mode and application mode in either Windows Server 2008 R2 based RDS servers and earlier versions Terminal Servers?

I understand the differences from the licensing point of view.

• What is the difference from the technical point of view?
    • What can I do and cannot I do in remote administratin mode compared to Application mode?
    • Can I connect concurrently to the same RDS server or Terminal Server using two different user accounts (both with Administrator user rights)?
    • Can I run applications, i.e. Microsoft Office applications while in Remote administration mode?

Regards

Marius

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 8:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Marius,

Basically Remote Administration mode should only be used by administrators who need to perform administrative actions on a machine. If you are having regular users connect to the RDS environment to do their day-today job you should not use Remote Administration Mode.

To answer your other questions:

• What can I do and cannot I do in remote administration mode compared to Application mode?

- Using Remote Administration you have the following disadvantages:
    - Time zone redirection is disabled.
    - RD Connection Brokerredirection is disabled.
    - Plug and Play device redirection is disabled.
    - The remote session theme is changed to Windows Classic.
    - Remote Desktop Easy Print is disabled.

• Can I connect concurrently to the same RDS server or Terminal Server using two different user accounts (both with Administrator user rights)?

Yes, a maximum of two concurrent users.

• Can I run applications, i.e. Microsoft Office applications while in Remote administration mode?
      Yes, you could.

But, as you might have understand in the meantime. Remote Administration Mode should only be used by administrators who need remote access to administrative actions. In any other case purchase RDS Cal’s and configure a RD License Server.

Kind regards,
    Freek Berson
    http://www.microsoftplatform.blogspot.com
    Wortell company website
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 7:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Marius,

Basically Remote Administration mode should only be used by administrators who need to perform administrative actions on a machine. If you are having regular users connect to the RDS environment to do their day-today job you should not use Remote Administration Mode.

To answer your other questions:

• What can I do and cannot I do in remote administration mode compared to Application mode?

- Using Remote Administration you have the following disadvantages:
    - Time zone redirection is disabled.
    - RD Connection Brokerredirection is disabled.
    - Plug and Play device redirection is disabled.
    - The remote session theme is changed to Windows Classic.
    - Remote Desktop Easy Print is disabled.

• Can I connect concurrently to the same RDS server or Terminal Server using two different user accounts (both with Administrator user rights)?

Yes, a maximum of two concurrent users.

• Can I run applications, i.e. Microsoft Office applications while in Remote administration mode?
      Yes, you could.

But, as you might have understand in the meantime. Remote Administration Mode should only be used by administrators who need remote access to administrative actions. In any other case purchase RDS Cal’s and configure a RD License Server.

Kind regards,
    Freek Berson
    http://www.microsoftplatform.blogspot.com
    Wortell company website
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 7:01 AM
  • I have a similar question:  With Remote Desktop Administrator mode I can't seem to run an app via an RDP connection on my PC. When I launch the connection I get logged in and I'm presented with the server desktop. I have a network administration tool that I run on this server. Only admins use it so I didn't want to invoke full-blown Application Mode. Am I correct in my assumption (based on my experiences with this server) that 2008R2 will not allow me to start an app in Administrative mode?

Thanks.

Friday, June 24, 2011 6:26 PM