Microsoft Sign in Something went wrong and we can't sign you in right now. Please try again later. The Microsoft login server has detected too many repeated authentication attempts. Please wait a moment and try again. RRS feed

• Question

• On the computer that I regularly use for technet it has displayed most of the day today:

Microsoft Sign in  Something went wrong and we can't sign you in right now.  Please try again later.  The Microsoft login server has detected too many repeated authentication attempts.  Please wait a moment and try again

The chrome browser has been used regularly and there are many open thread.s

This second computer is on the same network.  It was easy to logon with this computer but for 4 -5 hours I have been unable to logon with the other computer.

The other computer has open files that I do not want to close at this time.

Using IE on the computer allows logon to Technet.

However using chrome continuously fails.

There are several hundred web pages open today as there are on most days.

What methods are available to fix the Technet logon problem so that:

a) webpages that are open do not have to be closed

b) the chrome browser can be used

Thursday, April 26, 2018 5:52 PM

All replies

• I had the same problem today with Chrome.
    Connecting to technet in Incognito Windows worked.
    So I removed cookies and saved passwords for Microsoft pages and now can again logon.

Reason might be due to the last Chrome update.
    Thursday, April 26, 2018 7:09 PM
  • I need to correct myself: the login problems returned, so clearing the cookies did not help?
    But again I can login in incognito mode.
    Thursday, April 26, 2018 7:56 PM
  • Yeah same, this has hit all of my machines with the Chrome browser today.

I can't access any resources on TechNet that require a redirected sign in from Live.

I've wiped the cookies off 2 machines and I've been able to access the site briefly but then the problem returns. The browser just goes into an authentication loop and I get the standard message:

Something went wrong and we can't sign you in at the moment. Please try again later.

The Microsoft account login server has detected too many repeated authentication attempts. Please wait a moment and try again.

• Edited by Paul May Friday, April 27, 2018 5:58 PM
    Friday, April 27, 2018 5:55 PM
  • I've had this issue plaguing both my home and work pc's for this whole week!  I could get to everything microsoft except for the technet forums and occasionally my outlook.com connection would time out.

What I did:

close all browsers, then open new browser session.

go to https://account.microsoft.com/account

if you appear to be logged in (upper right), then log out.  Make sure your page gets refreshed by the logout action and it now says 'Sign In' at the top right.

Close browser, re-open and go back to https://account.microsoft.com/account. 

Log in with your account, get through the 2-step validation (if you have it).  Make sure you click the option to 'remember me on this device' (or simliar message).   

Once you're logged in to the accounts page, open a new BROWSER TAB, go to https://technet.microsoft.com

You may have to Sign In, but it should transfer your auth session. just verify you see your account icon in the top right. 

Click on "Forums" and I was finally able to access the site after being rejected for a week...

Tim Magnuson | MCTS, MCITP | MCCA 2011 |
    Ok, so I changed my name...you can still call me Tom if you like. It's a...jump...to conclusions...mat.
    My Blog Site: http://tmagnuson.wordpress.com

• Proposed as answer by Tim Magnuson Friday, April 27, 2018 6:24 PM
    Friday, April 27, 2018 6:20 PM
  • Didn't work for me.

Monday, April 30, 2018 1:33 PM
  • im having issues again today not being able to login to certain things - technet works fine (obviously), but outlook.live.com is not happy.  Ran through my steps above and I was able to access it again. 

It appears that something isn't honoring the cookie option to 'remember me' as I was prompted to log in again.

Ok, so I changed my name...you can still call me Tom if you like. It's a...jump...to conclusions...mat.

Monday, April 30, 2018 2:59 PM
  • I've been seeing this as well for the last week or so using Chrome on Win10 x64.  Had to use Edge to get into TechNet forums.  Outlook.com works fine and I can access other MS stuff, just not the TechNet forums.  Latest chrome version today did not fix it, maybe MS issue??

-- Al

Monday, April 30, 2018 4:19 PM
  • I've had this issue plaguing both my home and work pc's for this whole week!  I could get to everything microsoft except for the technet forums and occasionally my outlook.com connection would time out.

What I did:

if you appear to be logged in (upper right), then log out.  Make sure your page gets refreshed by the logout action and it now says 'Sign In' at the top right.

Log in with your account, get through the 2-step validation (if you have it).  Make sure you click the option to 'remember me on this device' (or simliar message).   

Once you're logged in to the accounts page, open a new BROWSER TAB, go to https://technet.microsoft.com

You may have to Sign In, but it should transfer your auth session. just verify you see your account icon in the top right. 

Click on "Forums" and I was finally able to access the site after being rejected for a week...

Hi

Firefox on Win 10 64bit.

Tried exactly as you listed in your post. 

Did not work in my case, still getting the login loop for Forum. (other sites you mention all logged in without issue)

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

Monday, April 30, 2018 4:30 PM

What I did:

Hi

As I mentioned in a previous reply, that particular procedure didn't work for me.

However, what does seem to have worked for me:

------------------------------------------------------

Firefox on Win 10 64bit.

OK, have had some success (for now at least).

Having tried all sorts of things, cookies, cache, firewall and everything I could think of short of uninstall/reinstall Firefox - with no difference to the looping login I was getting.

What seems to have worked (tentative) was to use CCleaner - a free utility - and set it to clear everything (except saved passwords) resulted in the Forum login working fine.

I hope it continues to work OK.

Monday, April 30, 2018 4:53 PM
  • Arrived here when a Grouped Tab of Chrome pages went burko after wake up from hibernation, currently under focus regarding other issues. All of Chrome then duly crashed when the window was activated. As a matter of interest, in the session prior to hibernation this very same tabbed group had adopted the dreaded always on top property.

Somehow the crash corrupted the social.technet cookie- hence the immediate response was to clear all cookies in the Chrome browser cache,- in hindsight there would be a more elegant way of doing it with the Chrome Permissions Icon.

A natural, B flat, C sharp, D compile

• Edited by LaurieSt Tuesday, May 1, 2018 10:53 AM
    Tuesday, May 1, 2018 5:10 AM
  • I hope you downloaded a new copy of CCleaner.  Not too long ago some 2.3 million downloads of it had malware embedded, from the official CCleaner website no less.  

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 1:24 PM
  • Haven't used CCleaner since then...

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 1:31 PM
  • This problem happening for me too under Chrome (Version 65.0.3325.181 (Official Build) (64-bit)).  

Works fine when using Edge.  It just started happening and I have not implemented any new updates to Win 10 Pro in that timeframe, nor Java or other apps that I know of.  I'm sure they don't use js but who knows.  live.com authentication has been a pain for a couple years now, been pretty reliable as of late but last year I do recall waiting many months for a Chrome-related issue similar to this to go away by itself, as clearing cache and all related browser-retained stuff didn't do anything.  

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 1:33 PM
  • This problem has been resolved by changing the browser, just make sure to use internet explorer.

Cheers,

Mahmoud Hanafi

Senior Exchange|Lync Administrator

Blog: Twitter:   LinkedIn:   Facebook:

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 9:07 AM
  • This problem has been resolved by changing the browser, just make sure to use internet explorer.

Cheers,

Mahmoud Hanafi

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Hi

That is a ridiculous reply. The whole point of the thread is specifically regarding non-IE browser issues.

Do you really think that MS causing issues for users of other browsers is answered by claiming the 'SOLUTION' is to use an MS browser.

• Edited by leshay Wednesday, May 2, 2018 10:27 AM
    Wednesday, May 2, 2018 10:16 AM
  • Hello Leshay,

Did you first try to test this before you consider it a ridiculous reply, I have mentioned what I had tested.

Thanks for your kindness ;)

Cheers,

Mahmoud Hanafi

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 11:16 AM
  • Hello Leshay,

Did you first try to test this before you consider it a ridiculous reply, I have mentioned what I had tested.

Cheers,

Mahmoud Hanafi

Hi

Yes, I was forced into using Edge to gain access to this forum while the login issue was plaguing my system.

However, it was not the SOLUTION to the issue, just a temporary work around.

In my case, the issue was solved by using CCleaner utility application and 'clearing' everything except saved passwords. From then on, I have not had any login issues.

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 11:40 AM
  • Hello Leshay,

Cheers,

Mahmoud Hanafi

Q: My car stalls when I go though your tunnel.  What should I do?
    A: We changed how the tunnel works, so you are going to have to use another car when you go through there.

Yeah, that is how stupid your answer is.

ATM, I'm using Chrome's Incognito mode to work around the issue.  But it is ridiculous that this is happening.

Dear MS, Before you make a change to your login system, you should TEST IT on ALL major browsers so that your don't kneecap all of your customers. >:(

I don't mind someone marking a post as "Proposed as answer", but DO NOT mark it as "Answered". If I am the OP, I will decide if a post actually answers my post or not. Thank you.

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 3:49 PM

I don't mind someone marking a post as "Proposed as answer", but DO NOT mark it as "Answered". If I am the OP, I will decide if a post actually answers my post or not. Thank you.

Very good point here in your tagline.  I guess the forum needs to sort Unso9lved vs. Solved and I imagine MS staff get alerted when stuff goes a long time without being solved, or something, so in that sense I can see the logic in closing threads as Answered when they're really not (if the OP has fallen off and not replied for example), but on the other hand it makes for some highly irritating Google searches trying to solve a problem when having to filter through these useless "Answered" threads.  

Quality over Quantity I always say. 

I think to be fair, the comment about use another browser as the solution was probably just a language/communication mishap, I have to hope a senior IT person would not suggest a workaround as a permanent fix.  Though for sure at face value the post did seem that way, but I lean towards it just being miscommunication.  

As for MS - in situations like this no doubt the argument would be something like how FF and Chrome perhaps don't adhere to some obscure W3C/HTML  standard that Edge/IE does, and so the issue is with the 3rd party or some such.  Or vice versa, those browsers are more standards-compliant but since MS authentication is MS's realm, hey if only their browsers work, all the better.  Drive up the Edge adoption numbers a bit.  MS has a long, long history of "guiding" the public to adopt products/solutions via "errors and omossions" that if they drive up enough "customer feedback", result in them saying we have fixed the "bug".  Win10 GWX comes to mind as the most recent example but I've been observing this stuff since the DOS days.  

That said, I'm still pro-MS despite my occasional conspiracy theory rattling.  

• Proposed as answer by viProCon Wednesday, May 2, 2018 5:27 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by viProCon Wednesday, May 2, 2018 5:27 PM
    Wednesday, May 2, 2018 5:25 PM
  • Sorry for that, but you have a silly reply here, I'm not  a Microsoft support engineer, I've just mentioned what happened with me and how this as a workaround get rid this issue at least to me. If you have the best solution you can give a hand, otherwise try to benefit from all other ideas.

Cheers,

Mahmoud Hanafi

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 6:14 PM
  • That's what I believe yes.  Just that it wasn't clear to a couple of others how you meant it upon your first reply.  A minor thing easily overcome with some simple conversation as we have done :)  I'm a happy MS partner, notwithstanding the occasional frustration at their tactics in the market, I still much support their solutions.  
    Wednesday, May 2, 2018 6:40 PM
  • Just try the last update from Firefox, after using the CCleaner as you mentioned before, this is how to get a rid of this issue.

Cheers,

Mahmoud Hanafi

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 6:45 PM
  • Nice to get this conversation with you:), sorry for any misunderstanding.

Cheers,

Mahmoud Hanafi

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 6:50 PM
  • It worked with a new profile, so out of frustration I did in powershell:

rm -r ~\appdata\local\google

And now it's fine.  All my passwords etc are gone though.

I've seen the same problem in IE and Edge.

• Edited by JS2010 Wednesday, May 2, 2018 8:05 PM
    Wednesday, May 2, 2018 8:04 PM
  • No misunderstanding with me, all is good.  Curious how CCleaner is able to clear enough of something so that it works, yet just clearing cache etc. whilst in the browser itself is not sufficient.  Who knows.  I don't have time to test such things, I just go with the workaround until some patch fixes it perhaps months from now ;) 
    Wednesday, May 2, 2018 8:06 PM
  • Sorry for that, but you have a silly reply here, I'm not  a Microsoft support engineer, I've just mentioned what happened with me and how this as a workaround get rid this issue at least to me. If you have the best solution you can give a hand, otherwise try to benefit from all other ideas.

Didn't mean to imply that I thought you were.  However your original statement:

This problem has been resolved by changing the browser, just make sure to use internet explorer.

Implied that the question has been resolved, by you using the word resolved.  Sorry, I get a bit punchy when I feel ppl are trying to close a conversation thread prematurely.  As viProCon stated, it was just a communication error.

No, I don't have a solution as yet.  However, doing a hard reset on my browser or jumping to another one is not in the cards.

I also get annoyed by companies, esp large ones like MS, who make their user base feel like they aren't being listened to.  Double esp when this is quite a big problem with accessing their site due to some security login failure.  I've have yet to see any comment from an MS representative on this thread indicating that they are even aware of the issue.

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 9:54 PM
  • This is still persisting. It's still a massive pain in the behind to have to switch to edge and paste links in every time I need to access support content.

Wiping Chrome settings are a temporary fix until whatever is triggering the issue is re-created on the system. As others have pointed out, switching browser is not a solution it's a workaround - one I'm not particularly happy using.

Whatever change has occurred on either Microsoft's side or Google's Browser there are clear integration issues with authentication now that don't exist on any other sites I frequent with the browser. I had to switch to Edge just to come here and whine...

Thursday, May 3, 2018 11:18 AM
  • Hi Adrian

I'm totally agree with you, and sorry for any misunderstand..

Cheers,

Mahmoud Hanafi

Thursday, May 3, 2018 11:44 AM
  • As stated previously in the thread Paul, you could just open up an incognito window in chrome and login from there.  At least you would not be jumping into another browser. 

Cheers

Thursday, May 3, 2018 2:31 PM
  • I had the same problem since last week. In Chrome settings I cleared the 'Cookies and other site data' and 'Cached images and files'. Reopened the browser and its working fine now.Clear Chrome cache and cookies
    Thursday, May 3, 2018 3:05 PM
  • Hi!

I'll chip in as I found a solution that worked for me. Went into Firefox/Options/Cookies.

Cleared "microsoft.com" and "live.com" cooikes. Now Firefox don't loop on the login anymore.

Brgs,

Thursday, May 3, 2018 3:41 PM
  • I had this error message when using Firefox (my default browser) but not when using Chrome in the same PC. Just clearing all cookies related to "microsoft" would not resolve. Then I closed Firefox an started it in SAFE MODE (hold SHIFT while clicking Firefox's icon). While in safe mode, I went to options/privacy/remove individual cookies. Cleared all cookies related to microsoft and social.technet.

After restarting Firefox in normal mode I was able to login again in social.technet.microsoft.com

Thursday, May 3, 2018 4:31 PM
  • I deleted cookies and files in chrome to fix it, but I had to choose "all time" instead of "last hour".

I didn't lose the passwords.

• Edited by JS2010 Monday, May 7, 2018 12:32 PM
    Friday, May 4, 2018 1:22 PM
  • I want to second JS2010 solution - clearing all Microsoft cookies of Chrome finally made the access to this forum work again:

Top-right 3-dot overflow menu > Settings > Advanced (at the bottom) > Content settings > Cookies > See all cookies and site data > type "microsoft" in the top right search box > remove all displayed cookies > close Chrome > open Chrome again.

Microsoft Edge is always free of this problem.  Only non-Microsoft browsers such as Chrome, Opera have this problem on my computer. 

Hong

Monday, May 7, 2018 12:23 PM
  • Confirmed for me that clearing only cookies (All Time) has worked just now.  Unknown if will still happen again soon but at least it's a temp fix.  Funny enough must be a version difference with Chrome bedc ause those steps above from Hong aren't what show in my Chrome, but as always just hit Ctrl + Shift + Del and that'll bring up the delete screen for browser stuff.  
    Monday, May 7, 2018 3:45 PM
  • Getting the same problem via. Chrome, my default browser.  I cleared all my cookies for the Microsoft domain, visited Microsoft.com, logged-in, then tried to view some other TechNet content & the problem persists.  It works fine via IE, though.

*note: clearing my cookies for both Microsoft.com and live.com does, at least temporarily, resolve the problem.  I'm using the EditThisCookie extension to do so.

My company recently started using Concur with Azure AD authentication.  So when I first attempted to use that, I had to choose between my personal account (this one), my company domain & one other "on Microsoft.com" account that I had to create just to access PowerBI resources.  I suspect one of these is related to the issue.

One of the most frustrating things is this authentication/error situation happens when just trying to READ TechNet content... If I wanted to interact, reply, I get it... I need to log-in.  But to just VIEW the site shouldn't force a user to identify themselves.

• Edited by xyvyx Tuesday, May 8, 2018 2:57 PM added cookie note
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 2:50 PM
  • There may be some other domains you have to clear like live.com.

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 2:56 PM
  • This worked for me.

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 3:16 PM
  • I had to clear cookies for IE and Edge as well.

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 3:18 PM
  • I have same issue using Firefox
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 5:48 PM
  • Confirmed that clearing cookies and cached data (not browsing history) resolved the issue for me.
    Wednesday, May 9, 2018 11:46 AM
  • Did the trick for me, thanks! Was really getting tired of having to open every technet article in incognito.
    Monday, May 14, 2018 5:25 PM
  • Same issue on Opera here, clearing Cookies and site data for both everything from *microsoft* and *live.com resolved it apparently.
    Tuesday, May 15, 2018 7:46 AM
  • Here is a simple fix that worked for me:

Go to Control Panel and click Internet Options and in General tab click Settings under Browsing History. Then click on View Files and do a search for Microsoft (type Microsoft in the search box) and delete all the Microsoft cookies found (Ctrl+A then Del).
    Thursday, June 7, 2018 6:34 PM
  • For me (in Chrome) I logged out of my Microsoft account and then while logged out (I think) I went to the MSDN and cleared the cookies for the page and then I was able to use MSDN. I am not sure of the details but I was able to get around the problem using a combination such as that. I used logon.live.com to log out of my account but I don't know if there is a more direct way. I see that at the top of the search page it has "Sign in" so apparently I am not signed in. When I sign in and do a search it still works.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Monday, September 10, 2018 7:01 PM
  • Thank you very much!!!! 
    Saturday, November 30, 2019 4:26 AM