none
Converting column from int to big int in SQL Server 2016 (Always On) RRS feed

• Question

• I have several database tables that are running out of integer values on multiple columns and need to convert them to big int. These columns are comprised of primary non-clustered keys and other columns are part of the clustered and non-clustered indexes. 

These are very large tables with like 1.5 to 1.8 billions rows for at least 2 of these tables and multiple columns in each table that need to be converted. 

I would like to keep the application online as much as possible during the process and would like to know if there would be a way to leverage Always On to do this to minimize downtime. 

I know there is Alter Table Alter Column Online in 2016 but you have drop the constraints and indexes so that impacts the user's experience. 

Thank you

Sue

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 2:35 AM

Answers

• Hi OutThere,

Please check if below link could help you. Changing Data Types on Large Tables: The INT to BIGINT Conundrum

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by OutThere Thursday, November 14, 2019 2:02 PM
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 8:26 AM

All replies