none
Can't shrink a volume with lot's of empty space RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have D: drive that is 200G and about half of it is empty space. I shrinked it to this size from 300G size but cannot shrink it anymore. It has something to do with some unmovable files. I have emptied trash bin and defragmented the drive but these did not help. This drive is on a separate volume that holds only this one drive.

My OS is Windows Server 2012 R2 with Essentials Experience installed and it is a virtual machine.

How can I shrink it more? How to check what unmovable files is blocking the shrinking?

Shadow Copies show me that it uses 8,26G on this drive and free space is over 100G so I guess VSS is not to blame..

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 10:17 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

When you shrink a partition, certain files (for example, the paging file or the shadow copy storage area) cannot be automatically relocated and you cannot decrease the allocated space beyond the point where the unmovable files are located. If the shrink operation fails, check the Application Log for Event 259, which will identify the unmovable file.

If you need to shrink the partition further, move the paging file to another disk, delete the stored shadow copies, shrink the volume, and then move the paging file back to the disk.

For more detailed information, please refer to the articles below:

Shrink a Basic Volume
    http://technet.microsoft.com/zh-cn/library/cc731894.aspx

Move Pagefile to Another Drive Windows
    http://blog.zwiegnet.com/windows-server/move-pagefile-to-another-drive-windows/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Mandy

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:27 AM
  • Hi

I checked the log for the event 259 and found details.

"The last unmovable file appears to be: \System Volume Information\{Bunch-of-characters}{Bunch-of-characters}::$DATA"

What that file is? I also used the fsutil volume querycluster command suggested by the Event Viewer event detail text but did not get anything useful out of it.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:20 PM
  • Hi,

The file is the Internet Explorer temporary files cache. You need to enable the option ‘Show hidden files, folders and drives’ and disable the option ‘Hide protected operating system files’ in Windows Explorer to show "System Volume Information" folder. Give all permission on "System Volume Information" folder to you. Double-click "System Volume Information" then the unmovable file list in the folder.

For more detailed information, please refer to the article below:

Q. I'm trying to shrink an NTFS volume, but the shrink value possible is far less than my free space. What's wrong?
    http://windowsitpro.com/storage/q-im-trying-shrink-ntfs-volume-shrink-value-possible-far-less-my-free-space-whats-wrong

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Mandy

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, April 18, 2014 7:39 AM
  • Have you tried some partition resizing tool? These tools often are designed for one to freely resize the drive partition space as you wish.

So, search one to take chances.

Thursday, April 24, 2014 1:31 AM
  • Hi

Can I just delete this IE temp file in System Volume Information-folder?

Isn't IE temp files usually in AppData folders?? What is the purpose of this IE Temp files cache in System Volume Information folder??
    • Edited by IKFI Thursday, April 24, 2014 8:56 AM
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 8:35 AM
  • Hi

I did not know what the files are in System Volume Information and did not dare to delete any files from there so I went ahead disabled Shadow Copies on that volume and deleted all copies. By this I got the Disk Management Shrink to show me enough space to shrink the volume to desired size.

At first Shrink gave me an error but after while it worked and now I got the volume shrinked.

Thursday, April 24, 2014 10:17 AM
  • Are you sure you’ve deleted all possible files there? Have you tried to show all hidden files or folders to delete some useless ones?

Or have you deleted all possible temp files there?

If all these also cannot change anything, you may try some partition resizing tools that are designed for one to freely shrink or extend the partition space, like GParted, IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free and Paragon Master Partition, etc.

I hope my words can give you some clues.

Always try to back up all your important data in advance.

Monday, April 28, 2014 1:35 AM
  • All possible files from where?

I got the volume shrinked by disabling and deleting Shadow Volume copies.

Monday, April 28, 2014 6:15 AM
  • I have a server WSUS (Windows Update Server) on a Windows Server 2012 R2 with C:\ with 200Gb empty space.

To perform a good shrink:

1. stop services

- wsus service

- SQL Server VSS Writer

- Windows Internal Database VSS Writer

2. shrink

3. restart services

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 3:45 PM