none
Validation Errors in Windows Server 2008 Cluster (EventIDs 7024, 1090)

Question

• Hello,

Having the following problem creating a new cluster in Windows Server 2008.  Both nodes are Windows Server 2008 Enterprise with shared storage currently presented to both.  Both the Multipath I/O and Failover Cluster features are installed.

When I attempt to add either node1 or node2 to validate, I get the following error:
    "An error occurred get [sic] the cluster node state for 'node1.fqdn.com'. Access is Denied."

I am logged in as a Domain Administrator account, which is also a local admin on both nodes.  Both RPC and the Remote Registry service are set to automatic and started... The Cluster service is set to automatic, but is not started.  When I attempt to start the cluster service I get the following errors:
    [EventID 7024] "The Cluster Service service terminiated with service-specific error 2 (0x2)."
    [EventID 1090] "The Cluster Service cannot be started on this node because a registry operation failed with error '2'."

If I skip validation and attempt to create the cluster, I get the following error:
    "You do not have administrative privileges on the server node1.fqdn.com"

I have tried doing this from both nodes and I still get the same errors.  I'm not seeing any failure audits during this time either, only the errors I've posted above.  Any idea what I'm missing here?

Thursday, July 02, 2009 6:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Chuck,

I've just resolved this issue. These were brand new servers with absolutely no previous cluster on them. Your last reply, regarding checking into the Remote Registry service and the account that now runs it pointed me in direction of the SecurePipeServers\winreg key, which controls remote registry access. I found that the winreg key was restricted to only Administrators (f) and Backup Operators (r), but was missing LOCAL SERVICE. Once I added LOCAL SERVICE with read permissions, it got passed the initial validation checks without any errors.

Thanks for all the replies. -Anthony

Tuesday, July 07, 2009 5:23 PM

All replies

• I have ran into this on both physical servers, as well as VM's:

if this is physical hosts, make sure that the clocks are synchronized to the domain controllers

if these are VM's disable the clock sync between physical and VM, and ensure the VM's are sync'ed to the domain controller(s)

let me know if this sorts out your problem
    rgds,
    edwin.
    Friday, July 03, 2009 8:42 AM
  • Hey Edwin,

These are physical hosts and I have verified that all clocks are correctly synched with the DCs.  Still getting the same errors.  Any other ideas?

-Anthony
    Monday, July 06, 2009 12:24 PM
  • All netowrks working ?
    Remote registry service started on both ?

and/or stop firewall, to see if it makes a difference

rgds,
    Edwin.
    Monday, July 06, 2009 12:52 PM
  • Edwin,

The networks are all working fine.. DNS and WINS are all up and working, so it's not a name resolution problem.  I can UNC into and out of any other servers so I don't think it's an SMB issue either.  I've turned off IPv6 and shutdown the firewall services on both nodes too.  Both the remote registry and RPC services are set to automatic and started.  I've rebooted a few times to see if it might free up the issue, however, no such luck as of yet.

I'm thinking I've covered all my bases here, I just can't figure out what's going on.. The Event Viewer only shows errors when I try to start the Cluster Service... When I try to add the nodes either for validation or to create the cluster, no error or warning events are being logged.

EDIT: HELPMSG comes back to show that 0x2 = "The system cannot find the file specified", though I don't see any indication of where or what file it's looking for.

Thanks,
    Anthony
    Monday, July 06, 2009 12:57 PM
  • Anyone have any other ideas?? 
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 1:16 AM
  • Verify the logon information is for Local Service on the Remote Registry service and not Local System on all nodes in the cluster.
    Chuck Timon Senior, Support Escalation Engineer (SEE) Microsoft Corporation
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 3:01 PM
  • Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the reply.  I just verified this and the Remote Registry service is running as the Local Serivice.

-Anthony
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 3:09 PM
  • At anytime, have you created a cluster and then for some reason Destroyed it and are now trying to create it again?  Did you ever test to see if you can create single node cluster using just one node and then adding the second later?  Have you ever had a cluster created and then Evicted one of the nodes?
    Chuck Timon Senior, Support Escalation Engineer (SEE) Microsoft Corporation
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 4:53 PM
  • Hi Chuck,

I've just resolved this issue. These were brand new servers with absolutely no previous cluster on them. Your last reply, regarding checking into the Remote Registry service and the account that now runs it pointed me in direction of the SecurePipeServers\winreg key, which controls remote registry access. I found that the winreg key was restricted to only Administrators (f) and Backup Operators (r), but was missing LOCAL SERVICE. Once I added LOCAL SERVICE with read permissions, it got passed the initial validation checks without any errors.

Thanks for all the replies. -Anthony

Tuesday, July 07, 2009 5:23 PM
  • Thats exactly what happened to me there was a cluster before and then destroyed and now i getting the error 'Acces is denied'
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:53 PM
  • I'm having problem starting clussvc on my windows 2008 ee. I had 3 nodes in cluster. I can use two of them now but not the third one. It  was part of the cluster then I disbled the service. However when I tried to used cluster again the service won't start.

Fails with following event logs.
    - The Cluster Service service terminated with service-specific error 2 (0x2).
    - The Cluster Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 3 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 240000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

I uninstall and install clussvc.
    I unjoined and joined the domain
    I renamed box.

Nothing works.

Monday, August 03, 2009 6:15 PM
  • I started with new install of Windows 2008. I removed the old box from domain and added new one. Installed "Failover cluster" feature but still same issue. The cluster service won't start and would fail with same event logs.

7024 - The Cluster Service service terminated with service-specific error 2 (0x2).
    1090 - The Cluster Service service terminated unexpectedly.

I used the same domain. Is that the problem.
    Tuesday, August 04, 2009 2:53 PM
  • If I try to add the new machine to existing cluster or create a new cluster with the node, it says

"The computer <name.domain.local> is joined to a cluster."

Does this mean, it is part of a cluster already. Do I need to cleanup AD.
    Tuesday, August 04, 2009 3:02 PM
  • You should probably start a new thread to get some additional assistance!
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 10:43 AM
  • Dear Anthony,

It seems I'am also facing a similar problem as you were facing. So, I would like to resolve the problem as you have resolved. However, I don't know how to add the "Local Service" account with "Read" permissions in the "winreg" key.

So, kindly inform me how to add the Local Serivice account.

Waiting for your reply.

Warm Regards,
    Madan
    Friday, September 04, 2009 1:15 PM
  • Start > Run > Type regedit

Navigate to the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurePipeServers\winreg

Right-click on the winreg key, click Security and add the Local Service account.  It should be there by default unless someone removed it.
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 12:43 AM
  • Anybody get a solid answer to this question. I did have a previous cluster but i cleaned all remnants of it up, including AD. I get the vague 1090 error and i checked all the items stated above and still nothing.i have no cluster at this point just, enabled the the failover cluster reature and my cluster service won't start so obviously i can't create a cluster

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 7:34 PM
  • I too want to know if anyone got a definitive answer that resolves this problem? I'm having the same "OpenService 'RemoteRegistry' failed" error being returned whenever I attempt to 'Validate a Configuration' or to 'Create a Cluster'.  I DID have a previous cluster defined that has been destroyed.  All systems are W2K3R2Ent 64-bit running in VMWare Workstation 6.6.5.  I've tried all of the things previously mentioned in this thread and still get the failure message.

Please help!

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 5:43 PM
  • Looping myself.

Thanks

Friday, October 12, 2012 12:09 PM