none
Microsoft Hyper-v vss writer failed state RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

We are *not* using windows backup. Instead we are backing up with R1soft CDP  We get a warning from the r1soft backup porcess that the hyper-v vss writer is in a failed state and vssadmin confirms this.

Writer name: 'Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer'
       Writer Id: {66841cd4-6ded-4f4b-8f17-fd23f8ddc3de}
       Writer Instance Id: {b04f70a5-4a55-4d01-b1e2-1a3b83071be8}
       State: [11] Failed
       Last error: Retryable error

How can we bring the writer back to an operational state ?

Wednesday, September 9, 2009 9:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As David mentioned, seems this issue is cause by r1soft. I recommend that you contact r1soft for more details. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:46 AM

All replies

• Have you tried http://www.r1soft.com/ support?  They may have seen this before and can help.
    David A. Bermingham, Director of Product Management, SteelEye Technology
    • Marked as answer by Vincent HuModerator Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:19 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Larryc2009 Tuesday, September 15, 2009 5:55 PM
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 12:13 AM
  • Hi,

As David mentioned, seems this issue is cause by r1soft. I recommend that you contact r1soft for more details. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:46 AM
  • Yes I did contact r1soft and they take no ownership of this issue. I do not believe it is caused by R1soft. The r1soft backup agent simply reports the state of the hyper-v writer. We have other hyper-v machines backed up with R1soft without this issue.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 5:54 PM
  • So, your lack of reply is telling me you don't know? How do you re-start the hyper-v vss writer to restore it to a running state?
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 8:38 PM
  • Sorry, that is not my area of expertise.  Maybe a call to Microsoft support is in order?
    David A. Bermingham, Director of Product Management, SteelEye Technology
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 8:56 PM