Windows Reboot Error

Question

• Hello

I am getting following error message "Error code 1115: ERROR_SHUTDOWN_IN_PROGRESS - A system shutdown is in progress." Please tell me thow to rectify it.

Regards
    Puneet Sud

Monday, September 14, 2009 9:08 AM

Answers

• Hi Puneet,

According to the error message (ERROR_SHUTDOWN_IN_PROGRESS), it generally occurs when a shutdown has already been started on the remote server. I suspect that the remote server actually hang during the previous shutdown. Consider the current situation, please let your colleague go to the remote machine and then reboot it locally. After that, try the shutdown.exe command again to see whether it works. Meanwhile, please test whether you can remotely shutdown another computer in the same LAN.

Best Regards,

Wilson Jia

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Monday, September 21, 2009 6:50 AM
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 1:21 AM

All replies

• Hello,

please give some more info about your machine, OS version and patch level, complete event viewer errors. When does this message pop up?
    Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 9:20 AM
  • Hello

My machine has windows 2003 server R2 Enterprise Edition. After login into the server only I can give this information to you regarding the patch level and complete event viewer errors.

Regards
    Puneet Sud
    Monday, September 14, 2009 9:31 AM
  • Hi Puneet,

Do you receive this error everytime when the server reboots?
    Do you receive this error when the server boots into safe mode or clean boot?
    Could you please check whether there is any relevent event log on the server Event Viewer?

To perform a clean boot, please follow the steps here:

a.       Click "Start", go to "Run", and type "msconfig" in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility.

b.      Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray).

c.       Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

d.      Restart your computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the box and click "OK".

Best Regards,
    Wilson Jia

Monday, September 14, 2009 9:50 AM
  • Hello Wilson

I am sending following command from my server to this server since both are in one lan, command is "shutdown -r -f -m following the i.p address"  after giving the command I am getting following message at the command prompt " A system shutdown is in progress. <1115>" on the same server from which I sending the command.

Secondly  After login into the server only I can give this information to you regarding the patch level and complete event viewer errors.

Regards

Puneet Sud

Monday, September 14, 2009 9:58 AM
  • Hello,

so the remote server doesn't reboot? Do you run the command as administrator or normal domain user?
    Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 10:07 AM
  • As an administrator user.

Monday, September 14, 2009 10:35 AM
  • Hi Puneet,

Thank you for swift reply.

According to your description, I understand you can not reboot the server via command from a remote server. If I have misunderstood you, please do not hesitate to let me know.

To toubleshoot this issue, please try the following steps:

1.     Ping the problematic server by computer name. Is it success?

2.     Run “CMD” without quotes as an administrator, Using the command "shutdown -m \\%COMPUTERNAME% -f -r" to shutdown gracefully.

3.     Boot the server into safe mode with network, can you reboot it from a network computer?

4.     Install the Hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919341 , if it’s already been installed, uninstall and reinstall it and try again.

If the problem persists, please collect a mpsreport for our research.

How to collect an MPS report:

1.     Download the proper MPS Report tool from the website below.

Microsoft Product Support Reports

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=CEBF3C7C-7CA5-408F-88B7-F9C79B7306C0&displaylang=en  

2.     Double-click to run it. If the requirement is not met, please follow the wizard to download and install them. After that, click Next, when the "Select the diagnostics you want to run" page appears, select "General"; Internet and Networking; Server Components; click Next.

3.     After collecting all log files, choose "Save the results". Choose a folder to save the <Computername>MPSReports.cab file. Please use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) to upload the file and then give us the download address.

Best Regards,

Wilson Jia

Monday, September 14, 2009 11:04 AM
  • Thanks for giving the process , But I am not accessing the server physically . My server is in America and I am in India so I am accessing my server remotely.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 11:51 AM
  • Hi Puneet,

According to the error message (ERROR_SHUTDOWN_IN_PROGRESS), it generally occurs when a shutdown has already been started on the remote server. I suspect that the remote server actually hang during the previous shutdown. Consider the current situation, please let your colleague go to the remote machine and then reboot it locally. After that, try the shutdown.exe command again to see whether it works. Meanwhile, please test whether you can remotely shutdown another computer in the same LAN.

Best Regards,

Wilson Jia

• Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Monday, September 21, 2009 6:50 AM
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 1:21 AM
  • Hi All,
          I have the same problem as Puneet.I can access the share folders on the remote server but can't reboot it with the command.Who have a valid solution for remoting?

Sunday, November 8, 2009 2:10 PM