none
Server Cleanup Wizard question RRS feed

• Question

• Nooby question, WSUS 3.0 SP1:
    what happens to the metadata and of course which exactly type of files are deleted, when it is ran the SCW on a WSUS server to purge "Unneded update files" (third option)?
    If You are saying because I don't try by myself, I answer You that I cannot try that in a test lab now, but I am in the need to recover space on a WSUS server that is coming out of space.
    Specifically I would be interested to know if running SCW it is ever deleted metadata information.
    Thanks much in advance.

rjbarlow

P.s. Please do not provide me a link, because I come from reading very much stuff today's afternoon on this topic, for that I wrote "exactly".

• Edited by rjbarlow Tuesday, July 20, 2010 9:49 AM syntax
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 4:49 PM

Answers

• what happens to the metadata and of course which exactly type of files are deleted, when it is ran the SCW on a WSUS server to purge "Unneded update files" (third option)?
    Nothing happens to the metadata (it stays in the database), and the files that are deleted are any files directly associated with an update which has "unneeded update files", generally identified by the update being declined, and not needed by any downstream servers (i.e. there are no clients of downstream servers reporting the update as Needed).
    Specifically I would be interested to know if running SCW it is ever deleted metadata information.
    Absolutely! The first option "Unused updates and update revisions" is expressly designed to delete update metadata for older revisions and for expired updates.
    P.s. Please do not provide me a link, because I come from reading very much stuff today's afternoon on this topic, for that I wrote "exactly".
    Be assured if a link is appropriate, I will provide one! :-)

In this case, the answers to your questions are, in fact, contained in the product documentation.
    See Using the Server Cleanup Wizard in the WSUS Operations Guide

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 1:55 AM

All replies

• what happens to the metadata and of course which exactly type of files are deleted, when it is ran the SCW on a WSUS server to purge "Unneded update files" (third option)?
    Nothing happens to the metadata (it stays in the database), and the files that are deleted are any files directly associated with an update which has "unneeded update files", generally identified by the update being declined, and not needed by any downstream servers (i.e. there are no clients of downstream servers reporting the update as Needed).
    Absolutely! The first option "Unused updates and update revisions" is expressly designed to delete update metadata for older revisions and for expired updates.
    Be assured if a link is appropriate, I will provide one! :-)

In this case, the answers to your questions are, in fact, contained in the product documentation.
    See Using the Server Cleanup Wizard in the WSUS Operations Guide

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 1:55 AM
  • Thanks much Lawrence.

rjbarlow

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:00 PM