none
User file redirection problems with PST and MDB files RRS feed

• Question

• The Windows Server 2008 Standard server was set up for user file redirection. The incorrect procedure I followed was after the domain user was created was as follows:
    Copy My document files from the peer to peer directory to the Server user file redirection Document folder. The procedure is OK if there are not
    PST and MDB file. However there were and so that generated the PST and MDB files can not be synchronized. I moved the PST and MDB files out of the Server user file redirection document folder. That made things worst. Now the message is that the PST and MDB files can not be found and I find Windows Server 2008 has created a hidden Recycler folder. For example, one computer had a file d1b.mdb. I moved the d1b.mdb out. (It appeared the file was created by someone for no useful purpose). Now after logout and during synchronizaton, the procedure halts with that message is Windows Server 2008 is looking for d@b.mdb file.
    I tried to move the d1b.mdb back into and then delete it again. That only made things worst. Now I have Windows Server 2008 looking for another file.

I like to know.
    1. Is there any other files that can not be redirected.
    2. What is the correct way to deal with the pst and mdb files to avoid creating the sychronization problems
    3. Now that I have the sychronization problems, how do I get rid of the messages and recycler folder.

Thanks

hardware Dell Poweredge 2950
    Friday, August 28, 2009 4:59 AM

Answers

• What you describe has nothing to do with folder redirection per se - it's with offline files, which are not mandatory (and are fraught with peril - I avoid that 'feature' like the plague).  It's on by default, but you can easily turn it off. Why use offline files on desktops anyway? All users should be accessing files from the server. Laptop users can use offline files, but there are other options (SyncToy, etc) to allow them to take data with them.  I disable offline files via GPO but you can also disable it in the share properties on the server as well.

You can hack offline files to work with these file types, but note that it is officially unsupported to access a PST file across a LAN/WAN anyway (for very good reasons). If you don't have Exchange, look into it  - you could have it hosted externally by any variety of companies.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] ** Do not fold, spindle or mutilate. Fill in the box completely and erase any stray marks. Use only a #2 pencil.
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 1:44 PM

All replies

• What you describe has nothing to do with folder redirection per se - it's with offline files, which are not mandatory (and are fraught with peril - I avoid that 'feature' like the plague).  It's on by default, but you can easily turn it off. Why use offline files on desktops anyway? All users should be accessing files from the server. Laptop users can use offline files, but there are other options (SyncToy, etc) to allow them to take data with them.  I disable offline files via GPO but you can also disable it in the share properties on the server as well.

You can hack offline files to work with these file types, but note that it is officially unsupported to access a PST file across a LAN/WAN anyway (for very good reasons). If you don't have Exchange, look into it  - you could have it hosted externally by any variety of companies.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] ** Do not fold, spindle or mutilate. Fill in the box completely and erase any stray marks. Use only a #2 pencil.
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 1:44 PM
  • The answer posted is one I have to come back to when I get more experience.

The original post Clearing user redirection file synchronization errors was done 8/22. I reposted trying a different forum. Someone did answer the original post so I did clear the errors.

What I was trying to accomlish with the user redirection was the problem that the files users are working on are not being placed on the server folders. I figure with the redirection that the files in my documents would be on the server itself and not on the individual desktop. If a desktop hard drive crashed then the files are still on the server which is backup on tape.

Yes, exchange server is on the do to list. However, I have to get the first server up first.

Thursday, September 10, 2009 11:00 PM
  • I disagree with the moderator that there is an answer here.

The question was not about the merits of using Exchange instead of the pst files. Not everyone has Exchange available. Again whether user should be using server shares is not part of the question. Users are not using the server shares. Therefore the question is about how to deal with the pst without an existing Exchange, how to deal with mdb files, how to deal with users not putting the data files on server shares.

Taking the original questions in order.

1. Is there any other files that can not be redirected.

There is no answer for this question.

2. What is the correct way to deal with the pst and mdb files to avoid creating the sychronization problems

There was discussion about offline files.  I would need further explanation. my understanding is the redirection is to put the contents of My documents, My Favorites, Desktop on the server (I am using Windows XP terms. There are more Windows XP than Windows 7computers). I guess I do not understand the way this is accomplished and where the offline files come in. Seems that what is happening is when a Word document is opened, one is actually opening it on the server.  Then when the user logs off, the Word document is copied back to the computer from the server.  

There was mention of laptop users using offline files. This does not seem to be the same situation. The laptop is normally expect to be disconnected; Whereas here, the computers are normally connected to the server. If the computer can not find the server, the user can work on one's Word document that was copied from the server. After login when the computer can contact the server then the more recent Word file is sent  to the server if the server's copy is older. Whatever the case, the idea seems to be to copy over the user files to the server without the user having to remember to save the files on the server. Therefore when the server is back up each night, the user files are saved to the backup tape.

I just skip #3 because if the answer is disable offline files then there would be no sychronization errors.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 4:57 PM