none
Issue with SessionManager and bootexecute

Question

• I have a Windows 2003 Server in a remote location that seems to ignore the bootexecute settings. I run a chkdsk /f on the boot partition. It informs me the partition can be scanned upon reboot as expected. It never runs chkdsk upon reboot. I've confirmed the chkdsk command is in the registry as expected. I have not been able to find out why the setting is ignored at startup.
    My real goal is to resize the partitions using a utility that runs at startup. The utility also uses the bootexecute registry key.
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 11:44 PM

Answers

• Dave,
     The problem has been resolved. It appears that bootececute has a problem with long path or file names. In the earlier postings I noted how part of the bootexecute path was in shortname syntax but not the whole path. I used the boot logging capability of the process manager which confirmed this was the issue. I changed the bootexecute entry string to the short pathname equivalent and the partition tool ran immediately. I feel brain dead for not going with my original suspicion of that path!
    Thanks for the assist!

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 12:48 AM

All replies

• I'd start with downloading and running the disk manufacturer's tools. You can also try running from the recovery console but be advised that chkdsk will attempt to repair the file system possibly at the expense of the files themselves.

After backup you can run;
    chkdsk /r
    from the recovery console command line. (/r implies /f and /p)

To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2003 Setup CD-Rom. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen. Press F10 or R to repair a Windows 2003 installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The Recovery Console then prompts you for the administrator password.  If you do not have the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot, and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated, you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive root, %windir% or %systemroot%

Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 3:04 PM
  • I'm not actually having file system problems. The issue is that the programs that are in the bootexcute registry key never execute. I was using chkdsk as a test to verify that the programs specified in the key are being called and they are not.

The key is as follows: C:\PROGRA~1\Paragon Software\Partition Manager 10.0 Server\bluescrn\bluescrn.exe
    I thought it strange part of the path contains a shortname path syntax but it works as specified on other servers.

I have a server that has two dynamic disk that need to be resized. The program used to perform the operation should be called at boot to convert the disk back to simple partitions which I have done before with no problem. The server is far away and I want to perfom the operation without travelling to the location in question.

Sunday, October 18, 2009 8:07 PM
  • Its possible that the two commands that don't seem to run are for the same reason, but it is also just as likely they don't run for different reasons.

I'd double check that BootExecute is type REG_MULTI_SZ
    found at
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL\Session Manager

I'd ask about the bluescrn.exe here.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107
    Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 8:42 PM
  • I've looked at the forums and it was suggested I boot from CD and that negates the idea of doing it remotely. I have not found any method to log what happens when bootexecute is called. Since I cannot get chkdsk to run with or without the partition software I think the problem is with the server itself.
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 9:10 PM
  • You might be right but I would not try to trouble shoot the two problems collectively, you'll go insane. :)  I'd work out the chkdsk issue then move on to the next.

Sunday, October 18, 2009 9:14 PM
  • I agree. The question is how. I have not found any information on how to effectively debug or log the session manager operations.
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 10:25 PM
  • After you schedulle chkdsk to run and then from the command line;

fsutil dirty query C:

to see the dirty bit is set and again after restart to check the status of bit.

If the dirty bit is set when the computer restarts, chkdsk runs to verify the consistency of the volume. When Autochk runs against a volume at boot time it records its output to a file called Bootex.log in the root of the volume being checked. The Winlogon service then moves the contents of each Bootex.log file to the Application Event log. One event log message for each volume checked is recorded. So alos check the application event log.

Sunday, October 18, 2009 10:38 PM
  • I set the bit to dirty for the C: partition and it did run chkdsk. No problems were detected and I did not expect to find any. I guess I'll just have to visit the box in person. Thanks for the help.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 12:05 AM
  • Glad to hear BootExecute is now working. You might try the boot logging feature of Process Monitor to see what's going on with your app.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Monday, October 19, 2009 1:08 AM
  • Dave,
     The problem has been resolved. It appears that bootececute has a problem with long path or file names. In the earlier postings I noted how part of the bootexecute path was in shortname syntax but not the whole path. I used the boot logging capability of the process manager which confirmed this was the issue. I changed the bootexecute entry string to the short pathname equivalent and the partition tool ran immediately. I feel brain dead for not going with my original suspicion of that path!
    Thanks for the assist!

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 12:48 AM
  • You're welcome. That's great to hear it is resolved. Thanks for letting us know.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:08 AM