none
SCCM Standalone - OSD boots into USB instead of HDD in the middle of the TS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have been working on a SCCM Standalone media for our Windows 10 OSD. There is a link Here which lists the various challenges i have managed to overcome with the help of Jason Sandys thus far. At the moment I am encountering a strange behaviour when it comes to the OSD. I have created a new thread for this as the original thread no longer is relevant in terms of the type of the query. I will be happy to use the original TS if this one breaks any house rules.

The standalone solution I have now works end to end as expected on a virtual machine however when it comes to a physical machine, I am running into a strange behaviour where in after configuring the HP BIOS (secure boot etc.) in WinPE, during the subsequent reboot, instead of booting into the staged Winpe from the HDD to continue with the TS, it once again boots from the Standalone media USB and starts the build process all over again.

The overall steps of my Standalone TS are as below:

1. Trigger the autorun TS exe from the running Windows 7 OS USB drive

2. Enter the password to start the TS

3. Select the only standalone TS presented

4. Disable bitlocker

5. Reboot (to boot image assigned to this TS)

6. Convert BIOS to UEFI (if it is not already UEFI)

7. Restart computer (to boot image assigned to this TS)

8. Partition disk

9. Configure HP BIOS **** This is where it configures secure boot, bios password etc. Everything seems to be working as expected up until this stage

10. At this stage the computer should reboot into the staged WinPE however it boots from the inserted USB starting the process all over again from step 2 above.

I have verified that the BIOS is latest, boot order is correct. Below are some of the screenshots which might help identify the problem:

Below is the smsts.log excerpt which shows the command which reboots the machine into WinPE

Below is the BIOS settings exported from HP Bios utility at this stage (run from USB booted winpe)

Post image

Below is the C drive  content screenshot taken from the USB booted WinPE. The sources folder contains the staged boot.wim.

if you notice below, i also run the bcdedit command which shows the error output. This is where I believe the problem is as you can see it can not read the BCD store (which in reality should contain an entry for the HDD WinPE boot.). How do I fix this?

Below is the diskpart screenshot at this stage:

Monday, August 19, 2019 9:43 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Have you enabled secure boot? If yes, try disabling it and check again.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Please remembers to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 19, 2019 10:58 AM
  • Thanks Ray. I disabled secureboot still i get the same error while running bcdedit command "The boot configuration data store could not be opened. the system can not find the file specified"

The BCD entry that enables it to boot into HDD WinPE would have been added by the "Restart in WinPE" (using the boot image assigned to the task sequence) TS step right?

Why is the bcdstore gone missing?

Thanks

Monday, August 19, 2019 11:55 AM
  • After reordering the TS steps I have deduced that it's not BIOS utility (which configures secureboot etc.) that was causing the problem of booting into USB midstream, instead the Format and Partition Disk step that could be causing it (again I am not 100% sure). 

Below is the snapshot of the TS. The task sequence now boots into WinPE, enables only UEFI (which involves temp partitioning etc.), reboots,Enables TPM2.0, reboot, partition UEFI for OS deployment, and reboot (this is where now it boots into USB all over again). This proves that it's not anything BIOS utility specific instead is caused at the Format and partition disk(UEFI step). The next step which is the reboot into TS boot wim (winPE) appears to be failing to stage the boot image. Even bcdedit.exe returns 1  (smsts snippet appended below). This makes me think if something is not right at the partitioning stage. The right hand side of the screenshot shows the partition layout (I had to add HP_Tools partition to keep TPM upgrade utility happy).

Could you let me know if I am doing anything wrong in the partition process shown above? Is there something to be set as "Active" for the subsequent TS steps to "see" it as available staging location?

Below is the smsts snippet at the diskpart stage:

Any help/suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks Steve

Thursday, August 29, 2019 9:47 AM