Files On Demand fails to retrieve a file RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to access SharePoint library files with OneDrive Files On Demand.

Almost everything seems to be working well, but on day one I already found an exception, and I am wondering if Files On Demand is the right tool for me.

What works: After right click on a file + free space, I can double click on it, open it with (almost) any application or open it with a Python script, and the file will be immediately downloaded as expected.

What doesn't work: I have an old tool I made in VB6 (based on this) that I still use to create thumbnails from CAD files. If I feed a file that has not been synced to that tool nothing happens. If I first open the file, read a byte, close it, then feed it to the old tool, then it works.

So I do have a workaround, but I wonder if the failure that I found on day one of testing Files On Demand will be the first of a long list of failures and I should stay away from it.

This is the code that I used as a work around (I added the first two lines so that the 3rd line works):

with open(file_name) as f:
        f.read(1)
    subprocess.call('ExtractImage.exe {}'.format(file_name))

Tuesday, June 9, 2020 11:18 PM

All replies

• Hi Stefano Menci,

The file that has not been synced is still in the cloud, it does not store in local disk. Until it is being read or used, then one drive starts to download it. 

In the code, even it only read 1 b, the file will auto-download into local. might be the old tool only accept local files and does not support cloud file. 

Best Regards,

Baker Kong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click  here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, June 10, 2020 4:57 AM
  • Well... the whole point of Files On Demand should be that a file is downloaded "when required", not "almost always, unless you use a tool that's incompatible, and by the way, there is no documentation about what's incompatible".

So my question is: when am i supposed to expect Files On Demand failures like this one? 

Thursday, June 11, 2020 11:56 AM
  • Hi Stefano Menci,

There is no such documentation about what's incompatible and we cannot change the behavior as it depends on the inside logic of the product. You could submit the feedback on uservoice.

Best Regards,

Baker Kong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click  here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, June 15, 2020 7:00 AM