none
Starting Partition Offset in Windows Server Loghorn

Question

• I observed that the partition starting offset in build 5728 is sector 128 (0x80) instead of the previous sector 63 (0x3F). According to KB article Q923332, in Vista, the default starting offset will generally be sector 2048 (0x800).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923332

Could someone provide an accurate picture.

Thanks,

Niraj

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 8:52 PM

Answers

• I received the following answer from one of our developers:

For Vista we now align all partitions by default. A registry key controls the default values, which are based on disk size. The key is HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VDS\Alignment. An admin can change these defaults. You can also use values different from the defaults by using diskpart to create a partition. The ‘create partition’ command has had an alignment parameter since W2K3 SP1, but prior to Vista, only the first partition on the disk could be aligned. With Vista, all partitions, including Extended partitions are aligned.

This alignment can increase your IO speed, sometimes by as much as 100%.

Thursday, December 07, 2006 9:00 PM

All replies

• I received the following answer from one of our developers:

For Vista we now align all partitions by default. A registry key controls the default values, which are based on disk size. The key is HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VDS\Alignment. An admin can change these defaults. You can also use values different from the defaults by using diskpart to create a partition. The ‘create partition’ command has had an alignment parameter since W2K3 SP1, but prior to Vista, only the first partition on the disk could be aligned. With Vista, all partitions, including Extended partitions are aligned.

Thursday, December 07, 2006 9:00 PM
  • Hi Jill,

So, can we ignore the cylinder boundary and stick to this alignment values? Alignment is applicable both for starting sector and size or only to size?

Thanks

Ramesh

Friday, December 29, 2006 3:43 AM
  • Is this true for the system drive as it is partitioned before the registry key you mention is created?

Josh

Jill Zoeller MSFT wrote:

I received the following answer from one of our developers:

Friday, June 15, 2007 12:52 AM
  • Monday, September 08, 2008 7:26 AM