none
Windows Server 2012 R2 Cluster Mount Points and Cluster Shared Volumes SQL Server 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• We have an environment as follows:

2 node SQL Server Cluster running SQL Server 2016 instances.  The failover cluster is running on Windows Server 2012 R2.  All storage resides in a Compellant SAN.  We have just about run out of drive letters for new instances and want to move to mount points but I have run into an issue when trying to change the moint point volumes to Cluster Shared Volumes.  

On each node of the cluster, I set up a mount point base drive and assigned it the same drive letter.  Created the moint point volumes and mapped them to the base drive.  Added the disks as disk resources for the cluster. However, I believe, I need to change the disks as a Cluster Shared Volume resource so each node in the cluster can have access to it during a failover.  

In FC Manager, as soon as I changed the moint point from Available Storage to Cluster Shared Volume, it loses the mapping to the base drive.

This is my first time setting up mount points in a cluster, I have looked at so many webites and have't found any resolution.  Any advice will help.
    Thursday, April 11, 2019 2:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

Before we begin to troubleshooting, please help me clarify the following question, I appreciate your effort.

>>but I have run into an issue when trying to change the mount point volumes to Cluster Shared Volumes. 

1. Does this mean the mount point itself or the volume where the mount point is located?

2. What exactly does this issue refer to? Is there any error message?

>>Created the mount point volumes and mapped them to the base drive. 

1. Does basic drive refer to the drive where the mount point is located?

>>In FC Manager, as soon as I changed the moint point from Available Storage to Cluster Shared Volume, it loses the mapping to the base drive.

1. What is the missing mapping to the base drive?

Here is a simulation of your environment based on my own guesses.

1. I create a mount point(called test) and map it to the M disk.

2. Then I added this mount point to the cluster and make it as a cluster disk resource.

3. When I click the mount point again, it poped up the error in the following screenshot.

If I misunderstand, please let me know. If you can describe your operation step by step, then I believe we can do better troubleshooting.

For more information, please visit:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/280297/how-to-configure-volume-mount-points-on-a-microsoft-cluster-server

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askcore/2013/01/14/removing-a-mount-point-disk-from-a-cluster-group/

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 12, 2019 7:35 AM
  • Hello,

My apologies, Base Drive should have been Root Disk or described as the disk that contains the mount points.

>>but I have run into an issue when trying to change the mount point volumes to Cluster Shared Volumes.
    1. I attempted this two ways, first was adding both the root disk and the moint point disk/volume as CSV's.  Then I removed them both as CSV's and added only the moint point disk/volume.
    2. I get the "Location is not available" error message like in your screenshot.

>>In FC Manager, as soon as I changed the moint point from Available Storage to Cluster Shared Volume, it loses the mapping to the base drive.
    After adding the disks as CSV's, I get the error message that you show in your screen shot.  I then looked at the disk in Data Management and the "Mount in the following empty NTFS folder" to the Root Disk is gone. 

Your simulation is precisely what I experienced.

Thank you

Friday, April 12, 2019 3:27 PM
  • I should also note that I used Microsoft Knowledgebase document 280297 and 819546 as reference to setup my Mount Points.

Thank you

Friday, April 12, 2019 3:41 PM
  • You may also want to rely on the experts in the SQL HA forum located at https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=sqldisasterrecovery.  They have been dealing with this issue ever since the advent of CSVs.

tim

Saturday, April 13, 2019 12:29 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

It seems that my test results are the same as yours. Maybe we should ask the experts of the SQL HA forum as Tim said. At least for the moment, it seems a by-designed behavior. If you get any helpful information from the SQL experts, you are welcome to come back and share it with us.

In addition, please help mark the helpful reply as answers. Thank you in advance!

Best Regards,

Daniel

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 15, 2019 6:45 AM
  • Thank you both, I have posted the question to the SQL HA forum.

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 5:55 PM
  • OK, if the previous reply is helpful, please help mark it as an answer.

In addition, You are always welcome to come back and share your results.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 2:12 AM