none
Server 2003 MFT Errors on RAID and external drive

Question

• Hi all,  I am receiving disk MFT errors from a client's 2003 server.  I also have it set to backup to an external drive that is new, and now that drive has errors, and some of the time, just closing Internet Explorer causes memory errors. 

I am thinking that this has a common cause: bad memory.  Any other ideas?  I have run chkdsk /R several times.  I cannot even properly log in without starting explorer.exe from task manager several times.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:56 AM

Answers

• MFT error related to NTFS file system but not operation system.

Try chkdsk x: /f (x is the drive letter) and let it check disk after reboot.

Backup important files is recommanded as if check disk cannot help, we may need to rebuild system.

Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Friday, March 18, 2011 9:10 AM

All replies

• Hi wosully,

I would like to suggest that you refer to this KB to have a check of MFT zone.

How to locate and correct disk space problems on NTFS volumes
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814594

Hope it helps.

Scorpio

TechNet Software Assurance Managed Newsgroup | MCTS: Windows Vista | Exchange Server 2007 MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician | Server & Enterprise Administrator | Solution Architect
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 7:15 AM
  • MFT error related to NTFS file system but not operation system.

Try chkdsk x: /f (x is the drive letter) and let it check disk after reboot.

Backup important files is recommanded as if check disk cannot help, we may need to rebuild system.

Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Friday, March 18, 2011 9:10 AM
  • How are things going? Please let us know if there is any progress.
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 9:10 AM