none
Windows Server Backup | Not a true Image Backup? | Missing VSS Copies RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All-

I'm facing a big problem relating to data loss. I have a situation where I am left only with a Windows Server Backup to restore my data. Second problem is that the farthest back date I have will not work as the data was already corrupt 5/9, data was fine 5/8. 

My understanding of Windows Server Backup was that it creates a backup IMAGE like other software, Acronis, Shadow Protect, etc. If that was the case then I should be able to restore the server to 5/9 and still have my Shadow Copies/Previous Versions of the files to restore from the day before. I've tested and this is how other images work for 3rd party software, they are a exact copy of the server at the time the backup is create. In my case the WSB does not appear to contain these. I know for a fact that the VSS versions were there on 5/9, they went back a good month. Before I give up all hope I'm looking for a definitive answer to whether or not these Previous Versions should be there. I've contemplated contacting Microsoft and paying the $300 just to answer this one question. So I thought I would start here first. I've searched quite a bit and it's hard to find good info on how these backups actually work. 

Any help is very greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, -Dru

Thursday, May 15, 2014 10:35 PM

All replies

• Bump? Are bumps a thing here...
    Friday, May 16, 2014 6:52 PM
  • Hi Dru,

>>My understanding of Windows Server Backup was that it creates a backup IMAGE like other software, Acronis, Shadow Protect, etc.

The Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) creates a point in time image (shadow copy) of one or more volumes. Shadow copies provide both file system consistency and application consistency and can be used for a range of applications ranging from backup and restore programs to data mining.

Volume Shadow Copy Service

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd364794(v=WS.10).aspx

However, Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) does not support creating a shadow copy of a virtual volume and the host volume in the same snapshot set. VSS does support creating snapshots of volumes on a VHD, if backup of the virtual volume is necessary.

How does computer backup work?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/computer-backup-process-3.aspx

If something goes wrong with VSS for Windows Server Backup, the following article can be referred to for troubleshooting.

Troubleshoot VSS issues that occur with Windows Server Backup (WBADMIN) in Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee692290(v=WS.10).aspx

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Monday, May 19, 2014 3:55 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Frank. I'm not actually looking for VSS copies of the backups themselves, but rather the VSS copies that were on the server at the time of the Image Backup.

The server has two physical volumes C and E which on the day of the last Image Backup had VSS copies of the files going back months. When I restore my Image Backup to 5/9 the data is there but the VSS copies are not. I've even used 3rd party software to browse the drives for VSS copies. 

Thanks,

-Dru

Monday, May 19, 2014 4:47 PM