none
Proxy ARP with Windows 2008 Server

Question

• Hello,

Context is the following : I'm running Hyper-V on a Windows 2008 server that has one physical ethernet interface connected to my hosting service provider's network switch. That switch is configured with port security and will shutdown the port if more than one mac address is used on it (hence I cannot do any kind of bridging). I have several public IP addresses that I am allowed to use. 

I've configured Hyper-V with a private virtual network in order not to trigger the port security measures, but would now like to give Internet access to my VM's. What I'd like to do is Proxy ARP (as described here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_ARP). Is there a way to do this with Windows 2008 Server ? I've had a look in RRAS but couldn't find anything. Some firewalls (ISA server, Winroute...) seem to do it but they won't run in a x64 environment. 

I also know about NAT but can't use it as it breaks some of the protocols I plan to use on the VM's applications.

Thanks for your help.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 6:12 PM

All replies

• ISA and RRAS NAT will do NAT for outgoing request or else you need to use public IP on all VM's.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 5:39 PM
  • Your solution ignores the fact that ISA does not run on a 64 bit server..
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:32 PM
  •   Then why not install ISA server in a vm (If you really want ISA rather than RRAS/NAT) ? It is not a good idea to route through the parent partition anyway.

The host/parent partition does not need to have a public IP. The public IP can be given to the public interface of the router vm. The other vms can run on a private virtual network and route through the ISA vm.

Bill
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 12:48 AM