none
hyper-v server 2008 r2 rc RRS feed

• Question

• 1. Beta Expired (stupid software licenses on free product)
    2. Running DC on VM
    3. Had to stop VMs before upgrade would start
    4. rebooted VMs are stopped
    5. can't get access to the machine because the domain is down.
    6. No the VBS power on script does not work

Anyone know of any solutions to MS latest bungle?

Thursday, July 2, 2009 8:07 AM

Answers

• fixed.

1. The physical machine is running hyper-v server 2008 beta (expired) 2 hour limit then hard shutdown (not server 2008 beta with hyper-v role).

2. The hyper-v server has a virtual machine on it setup as a domain controller and dns, which the hyper-v server authenticates to.

3. A 2nd physical machine is setup to be a nat and hyper-v manager and part of the domain

4. The hyper-v server was shut down because of the 2 hour limit. The 2nd machine could not do anything because the dns was down and the domain was down.

5. I put the dvd's in the hyper-v server to upgrade to the RC. Stated that I had to shutdown the virtual machines. So I shut them down from the 2nd machine.

6. After the reboot the hyper-v server rc came up but the dc's on the virtual machines would not start.

7. the backup controller on an 3rd phyical machine was down. nothing could authenticate. so no way for the 2nd physical machince to use hyper-v manager.

8. wmi commands did not work from the command line on the local hyper-v server, nor does powershell, nor does vbs... all those fancy startup scripts didn't work.

9. Finally got the hyper-v manager to connect by forcing a connection to the server before starting it up and prompting for credentials.

10. hyper-v server virtual machines would not start. eventually found permisions on the snapshots that were missing, or not set right. fixdd them and was good to go. Not sure if they got wiped or changed in the upgrade but the virtual machines were all working fine in the beta before going to the RC.

The bottom line is the permissions deal in hyper-v is a big pain.

and for the smart arses that say its a beta and why are you doing things not supported......GO AWAY... betas are for education and learning where and how problems can be avoided in the future. if you think this is in a production environment your education shows, and I just ignore your posts anyways why not save a tree and keep your comments to your self... I only post to get feedback from someone that might be more intelligent than me and maybe I help someone else that had been doing something similar
    • Marked as answer by JC_3 Monday, July 6, 2009 8:43 PM
    Monday, July 6, 2009 8:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Q: 1. Beta Expired (stupid software licenses on free product)

A: Yes, the beta version will expired no matter it is the free version Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 or the Windows Server 2008 R2. The Beta of R2 was set to expire July 1st. The RC should expire somewhere around March/April next year, which is long after the availability of the final code. This was clearly and loud communicated through different channels.

Q: 2. Running DC on VM

A: I am not clear about your concern, please provide details about your concern. Generally speaking, we recommend that you set your main DC on a physical.

Q: 3. Had to stop VMs before upgrade would start

A: I don’t what’s the meaning of your “upgrade”. If you are meaning you want to perform a system upgrade such as install Windows Server 2008 Service Pack, I think it’s an expected behavior.

Q: 4. rebooted VMs are stopped

A: I am not clear about your concern. I assume that you means the VMs stopped after rebooted. If you encountered this issue, I want to confirm whether you encountered this issue with all the VMs? How did you reboot the VMs? Did you receive any errors?

Q: 5. can't get access to the machine because the domain is down.

A: I don’t think this issue is related to Hyper-V. This issue is more related to Directory Services, please initial a post with the details of your issue and post it in Domain Services related forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Q: 6. No the VBS power on script does not work

A: I am not clear about your concern. Did you mean all the VBScript files doesn’t work in Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 RC?

Best regards,

Vincent Hu

Thursday, July 2, 2009 9:22 AM
  •    I thought that Vincent was very tactful. Do you really mean that you were running your DC in a vm on a beta release? Did you really try to upgrade the host while the vms were running? And this is Microsoft's fault?
    Bill
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 10:33 AM
  • I see the real key in the process as issue #5.

If you could login, then you could resolve the rest.

I am assuming that you do not have the password for the local administrator account of the server?  Once you have this, you should be able to gain access and boot the domain controller VM.

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful)
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 2:36 PM
  • "The RC should expire somewhere around March/April next year, which is long after the availability of the final code. "

I've recently installed Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 RC in a production server, i wasn't aware that this version has an expiration date. In the download page says:
    "Note: This is a pre-release version of Microsoft® Hyper-V™ Server 2008 R2 and not intended to be used in a production environment." It doesn't says anything about an expiration date, that's why i installed on my server.
    Should i only use Hyper-V Server 2008 in production? is the link below the correct version on a production enviroment ?
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=6067CB24-06CC-483A-AF92-B919F699C3A0&displaylang=en

I found here some differences between the HyperV and HyperV R2 release
    http://blogs.technet.com/blogfiles/iftekhar/WindowsLiveWriter/GetVirtualNOWFREEHyperVServer2008R2RC_131B1/image_8.png
    I think HyperV without R2 satisfy my needs, right now i don't need live migration and some of the new features too.
    Should i have to uninstall the HyperV R2RC version, or it's fine running in production ? I'm worried about the expiration date, my plan was using this version and then update to the latest version when it comes, but now i guess i'm going to uninstall the R2RC version and install the HyperV but i'm not sure if the link above is the right version for a production enviroment.
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 11:31 PM
  • The "RC" stands for Release Candidate.

One way to think of this is that an RC is between a Beta and a final release.  However, it is not a final release of the software, that therefore it is not 'finished'.  To prevent folks from running on beta ( pre-release in this case ) software indefinately - it is standard int the software industry for pre-release software to have some type of limits, most frequently, this is some type of expiration.

The "R2" release of Windows Server 2008 (including Hyper-V Server R2) is a new release of Windows Server.  It includes feature enhancements, bug fixes, etc.

You cannot 'uninstall' the R2 RC version - you will need to rebuild the server with the "v1" of Hyper-V (or Server 2008 with the Hyper-V role)

Sunday, July 5, 2009 4:26 PM
  • Hey BrianEh,

I'm having the same issue.  Yes, stupid me.

As far as Item 5 above, can you give more detail/specifics on getting the VM's back to a running state.  The VM are set to Autostart, but don't.  When logging onto the Hyper-V server I'm using hypervservername\administrator, not domain\administrator.  The Hyper-V server is set to the Domain vs. Workgroup.  What commands to get the VM's running again?  powershell, then start-vm vmservername???
    I did shut down both the VM's prior to upgrading from build 7000 to build 7100 R2 RC, upgrade seemed to go as expected. 

Thanks for any response.

Gene
    Monday, July 6, 2009 3:44 PM
  • Couple questions:

1) Are you running Server 2008 with the Hyper-V role or Hyper-V Server (just want to clarify)

2) Are you able to remotely manage the host (either using domain account, or logging onto a remote machine using the local administrator account with the same password as the administrator of the Hyper-V host)?    (sometimes the same account name + password combination will get you through).

3) Gene:  What are the errors that you are getting?
    I am assuming that you did the following; cleanly shut down VMs, perform in-place upgrade of host, attempted to boot VMs. (???)

Monday, July 6, 2009 3:55 PM
  • BrianEh

1) Hyper-V Server only

2)  Can't remotely manage after upgrade from W7 machine using VMM, initially got RPC error.  I got this same RPC error prior to upgrade if I didn't wait for VM's to start completely.   I had the same password match thought, so I changed the password on hypervserver\administratot account to match the domain\administrator password and the RPC error changed to security access error (I'll have to get specific if needed), since I'm not currently near the server.   I'm logging into the W7 PC with domain\administrator and password, should I try localPCname\administrator after making password on the localPCname match the hypervserver password?

3)  I did cleanly shutdown VM's using VMM on W7 PC, prior to update.  Not sure how to start VM's directly on Hyper-V server, since remote VMM won't work.  Any specific input on starting the VM's directly on the Hypervserver.

Hope that make sense.

I really appreciate your quick response.
    Monday, July 6, 2009 4:27 PM
  • First answer for #2 is: yes.
    "should I try localPCname\administrator after making password on the localPCname match the hypervserver password?"

Let me get back with #3.

Monday, July 6, 2009 4:28 PM
  • Sorry for the short answer.
    Here is the crux of the situation.

Hyper-V is managed through WMI ( the Microsoft impolmentation of CIM )
    Hyper-V has a remote management console that uses this interface.  This is currently only available with Vista SP1, or by installing Server 2008.
    ( This is an add-on to the Remote Server Management Tools)

There are also PowerShell interfaces that have been built - but Hyper-V v1 does not include PowerShell.  So they must run remotely, with credentials being passed.

It is this reliance on the remote interface that is causing your issues.

I am trying to find somthing 'simple' to get you moving...

If you are familiar with PowerShell - then you can trip over to CodePlex and download the Hyper-V PowerTools to get some type of management.
    Monday, July 6, 2009 4:52 PM
  • Yes Yes

Please find something simple:)  I can't find anything.

Thanks again
    Monday, July 6, 2009 5:18 PM
  • Had another thought.

I will try this first later tonight
    "should I try localPCname\administrator after making password on the localPCname match the hypervserver\administrator password?"

But, I had another thought if that doesn't work.

Can I just put the Hyper-V server back to a Workgroup setting vs. the domain.  Also set the Windows 7 laptop back to a matching Workgroup both with matching password on the administrator account?  Or may this "Workgroup" approach get me into a bigger mess?

Thanks again for any additional input.

Gene
    Monday, July 6, 2009 6:15 PM
  • I know that I would be trying that configuration right now.  ;-)

Monday, July 6, 2009 6:19 PM
  • fixed.

1. The physical machine is running hyper-v server 2008 beta (expired) 2 hour limit then hard shutdown (not server 2008 beta with hyper-v role).

2. The hyper-v server has a virtual machine on it setup as a domain controller and dns, which the hyper-v server authenticates to.

3. A 2nd physical machine is setup to be a nat and hyper-v manager and part of the domain

4. The hyper-v server was shut down because of the 2 hour limit. The 2nd machine could not do anything because the dns was down and the domain was down.

5. I put the dvd's in the hyper-v server to upgrade to the RC. Stated that I had to shutdown the virtual machines. So I shut them down from the 2nd machine.

6. After the reboot the hyper-v server rc came up but the dc's on the virtual machines would not start.

7. the backup controller on an 3rd phyical machine was down. nothing could authenticate. so no way for the 2nd physical machince to use hyper-v manager.

8. wmi commands did not work from the command line on the local hyper-v server, nor does powershell, nor does vbs... all those fancy startup scripts didn't work.

9. Finally got the hyper-v manager to connect by forcing a connection to the server before starting it up and prompting for credentials.

10. hyper-v server virtual machines would not start. eventually found permisions on the snapshots that were missing, or not set right. fixdd them and was good to go. Not sure if they got wiped or changed in the upgrade but the virtual machines were all working fine in the beta before going to the RC.

The bottom line is the permissions deal in hyper-v is a big pain.

and for the smart arses that say its a beta and why are you doing things not supported......GO AWAY... betas are for education and learning where and how problems can be avoided in the future. if you think this is in a production environment your education shows, and I just ignore your posts anyways why not save a tree and keep your comments to your self... I only post to get feedback from someone that might be more intelligent than me and maybe I help someone else that had been doing something similar
    • Marked as answer by JC_3 Monday, July 6, 2009 8:43 PM
    Monday, July 6, 2009 8:43 PM
  • JCrc,

Can you be more specific about the permissions that you ended up fixing and how since you are lacking GUI for permissions.

Thanks,

Gene Glenn
    Monday, July 6, 2009 10:13 PM
  • BrianEh,

Just wanted to give you an update on the errors I get if I log onto the laptop using the domain\administrator vs. laptop\administrator accounts.  Trying to connect to HVSERVER (Hyper-V Build 7100, R2 RC).  Reminder, both the VM on HVSERVER are not auto starting (after upgrade from Build 7000), so no domain active.  Domain login is obviously "cached".

laptop\administrator
    The error in  Hyper-V Manager is:
    Access denied. Unable to establish communication between "hvserver" and "laptop"

domain\administrator
    You do not have the required permissions to complete this task.  Contact the administrator of the authorization policy for the computer "HVSERVER" 

As Jcrc stated, permissions for Hyper-V are the pits.  I'm hoping Jcrc will share the specifics.

Thanks for any additional input on this topic.

Gene
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 4:48 AM
  • Hi Gene,

You description makes me a little confused.

You mentioned that "so no domain active.  Domain login is obviously "cached"."

Did you add this computer into the domain in your LAN environment? If you have add the computer into some domain, after the upgrade, you should be able to login the computer with the domain account if you can do it before the upgrade.

The following blog may be helpful for you, you can refer to:

http://blogs.technet.com/jhoward/archive/2008/03/28/part-1-hyper-v-remote-management-you-do-not-have-the-requested-permission-to-complete-this-task-contact-the-administrator-of-the-authorization-policy-for-the-computer-computername.aspx

Best regards,

Vincent Hu

Tuesday, July 7, 2009 9:25 AM
  • Got it fixed, the solution was too easy.

The tool that helped me understand the problem is called HVRemote V0.4 by John Howard.

Using HVRemote, I ran the command:

cscript hvremote.wsf  /mode:client /show

It gave me some nice feedback on the current settings, most of it I ignored but one thing stood out.

Additional Configuration may be necessary:

This computer is in a domain.  If the target server is in a workgroup (which it was indirectly, since domain/VM's were off)

you may need to set credentials for the server for Hyper-V Remote 

Management to operate correctly.  this step should not be necessary if

the target server is in the same or trusted domain as this computer.

If necessary, from a *NON* elevated command prompt, enter:

cmdkey /add:ServerComputerName /user:ServerComputerName\administrator /pass

That did it, that all it took.

I was able to get into Hyper-V and Start the VM, I had a few errors starting the VM's but that was cake.

Thanks for the input.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009 1:52 PM
  • Okay - I just came up with an idea for this.  But you still need to be aware of whre your files are stored.

There are a couple issues that can be going on.

Issue #1 - remote connections cannot be authenticated because the domain controller VM is not starting, therefore I am unable to use a remote console to connect to the Hyper-V Server to start the VM in the first place.
    Most likely caused by - rebooting the Hyper-V host, and the VMs were previously stopped, and in the default state of start if they were running at host shutdown (otherwise do nothing).

My crazy idea:  Find the XML config file of the VM in question; in the <host_startup> section, set the <action type> to "2"
    note: the Hyper-V (vmms) service will have to be stopped for you to save this change.
    I believe that Hyper-V Server has Notepad like Server Core does.
    Then reboot the Hyper-V host

Issue #2 - VMs won't start due to permissions following an upgrade.
    First of all - the recommended upgrade process is either:  Delete all snapshots and power off the VMs; or Export your VMs prior to upgrade. (enough of that)

The ACLs can be reset through the command prompt - you just have to know where your snapshot location was

Take a look at this thread:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/c49da8e3-7fc4-4f9e-a330-950ff5b74454/

By default VM configuration files are stored here:  C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V\Virtual Machines
    At the very least, you will find symbolic links that point to the true location of the XML files.
    The name of the VM is a property of the config file that is named with the GUID of the VM.

I hope that gets you pointed in the right direction.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009 4:15 PM
  • On a related note:
    Hyper-V R2 includes PowerShell

the Hyper-V PowerShell cmdlets could be installed and used for VM control:
     http://www.codeplex.com/PSHyperv

These could also be used to create a new configuration pointing to an existing virtual disk.  However, that does not keep your snapshot history.

(just providing the options)
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 4:23 PM