none
New-Volume cmdlet does not create requested size volume. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I don't know if this is the best forum for this as it is powershell, but it is a cluster volume I am creating with 2 VM's in Azure.

When I create a volume for DTC of 500MB, the volume actually gets created as 8GB. I would like to know why and what to do to fix this behavior.

Command I ran:

New-Volume -StoragePoolFriendlyName S2D* -FriendlyName VDiskDBDTC -FileSystem CSVFS_REFS -Size 500MB

Result:

DriveLetter FileSystemLabel FileSystem DriveType HealthStatus OperationalStatus SizeRemaining    Size
    ----------- --------------- ---------- --------- ------------ ----------------- -------------    ----
                VDiskDBDTC      CSVFS      Fixed     Healthy      OK                      7.21 GB 7.94 GB

Also, I tried to create it as 1GB and got the following:

PS C:\windows\system32> New-Volume -StoragePoolFriendlyName S2D* -FriendlyName VDiskDBDTC -FileSystem CSVFS_REFS -Size 1GB

DriveLetter FileSystemLabel FileSystem DriveType HealthStatus OperationalStatus SizeRemaining    Size
    ----------- --------------- ---------- --------- ------------ ----------------- -------------    ----
                VDiskDBDTC      CSVFS      Fixed     Healthy      OK                      7.21 GB 7.94 GB

The other volumes I created, of various sizes in GB, are the correct sizes. The help page for this command states that you can use MB when specifying size, so I don't know why it won't work correctly.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/storage/new-volume?view=win10-ps

I also attempted this through the GUI, and got slightly different, but still incorrect, results. See screenshots below.

The attempt to create a 500MB virtual disk.

What Get-disk showed after the creation:

What the cluster GUI showed. Note the disk number, and the fact that I already have a disk 10. Wonder what problems THAT will cause. Also note that Powershell does not show a disk number. What's up with that?

Perhaps I have made mistakes in this creation. I only hope someone can point them out for me and help me correct the problem.

Thanks,
    Chris

• Edited by Torquin Sunday, February 10, 2019 3:55 PM
    Sunday, February 10, 2019 12:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

This is a quick note to let you know that I am currently performing research on this issue and will get back to you as soon as possible. I appreciate your patience.

If you have any updates during this process, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, February 14, 2019 3:24 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for my delay.

I had tested in my lab, and i encountered the same situation.

I thinkg those space should be use for configuration of storage space. i will do more research for this. i will update what i find.

Best Regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, February 21, 2019 8:40 AM
  • Has anyone figured out what's wrong? Is it a bug?

Thanks,

Chris

Monday, April 15, 2019 7:17 PM
  • Hi 

Can you please share the S2D configuration screen shot as well please?

Regards,
    Bala N

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 3:00 PM
  • I'm not sure what you are asking for. Where would I get this screen shot?

Chris

PS: Can anyone tell me why I am not getting notifications on this thread? I have an alert on it.

• Edited by Torquin Tuesday, May 14, 2019 1:35 PM
    Tuesday, May 14, 2019 1:31 PM
  • Any update on this bug?

Thanks,

Chris

Friday, September 20, 2019 11:12 AM
  • Since you are attempting to perform this operation in Azure, I would suggest you ask Azure support.  Azure handles disks differently than a local installation of Windows.

tim

Friday, September 20, 2019 2:03 PM