none
Geo Cluster failover SQL cluster

Question

• A general question on a SQL multi-site failover cluster.  Failing over to node on secondary site which has connection only to the SAN at the secondary site.  SAN has data replicated from primary site.  At failover the SAN disk at secondary site have to be presented to the node as while in active replication the disks are not seen or are seen in read only mode by the cluster node.

Does anyone have information on how to ensure the disks are presented to the cluster node at the secondary site before cluster becomes active at that site.  We are trying to develop an automated process but need to ensure disks are available to cluster node so SQL fails over and runs as expected.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 3:04 AM

Answers

• Usually you need an add-on software solution for your array replication in order to automate the process.  What are you using for your array replication?  Have you talked to your storage vendor yet?  Cluster MVP John Toner from EMC maintains an excellent blog on geographically dispersed clusters and I also write about it in my blog, Clustering for Mere Mortals.  Here is a step-by-step article I wrote on configuring SQL Server Multisite clusters.
    David A. Bermingham, MVP Senior Technical Evangelist, SIOS Technology Corp
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 6:56 PM

All replies

• Usually you need an add-on software solution for your array replication in order to automate the process.  What are you using for your array replication?  Have you talked to your storage vendor yet?  Cluster MVP John Toner from EMC maintains an excellent blog on geographically dispersed clusters and I also write about it in my blog, Clustering for Mere Mortals.  Here is a step-by-step article I wrote on configuring SQL Server Multisite clusters.
    David A. Bermingham, MVP Senior Technical Evangelist, SIOS Technology Corp
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 6:56 PM
  • Thanks. I have confirmed with our Storage team the SAN to SAN replication and presenting of disks to node at secondary site.  All resolved.
    Wednesday, June 08, 2011 6:18 AM