none
DFSR member is waiting for initial replication for replicated folder and is not currently participating in replication

Question

• Hi,

I have created two replication groups to DFS on Windows Server 2008 R2. One is for data collection and the second one is for sending data to site servers.

The data collection replication group is working as it should. Data is replicated from site servers to datacenter correctly.

The problem is with second group which main purpose is to send data to site servers. All the members are on state "this member is waiting for initial replication for replicated folder and is not currently participating in replication".

I have checked that AD-replication is correctly functioning and site servers have the information about the replication group regarding this article

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2008/07/15/five-common-causes-of-waiting-for-the-dfs-replication-service-to-retrieve-replication-settings-from-active-directory.aspx

Yesterday I set on member as primary and then run pollad to couple of the servers and I have now set staging quota to 22,5GB and it's still no news:

dfsradmin Membership Set /RGName:<replication group name> /RFName:<replicated folder name> /MemName:<primary member> /IsPrimary:True

Then Dfsrdiag Pollad /Member:<member name>

Strange is that today morning when I run query for against replication group the primary member was not set anymore (dfsradmin membership list /RgName:<group name> /Attr:MemName,RfName,IsPrimary).

Does anyone have a suggestion how to solve this, do I have to re-create replication group?

And one thing more, the replicated folder has been excluded for testing purposes on Antivirus program settings.

Saturday, May 14, 2011 7:54 AM

Answers

• Hi Sami, 

You may encounter the error message "waiting for initial replication" when no primary member is currently specified on the DFS Replication. This DFS member is waiting for initial replication for replicated share folder Public and is not currently participating in replication. This delay can occur because the member is waiting for the DFS Replication service to retrieve replication settings from Active Directory. After the member detects that it is part of replication group, the member will begin initial replication.  Besides, there is also possiblity that DFS servers cannot contact domain controller which could result in the issue.

1. Please first verify that all the target folder of Public folder is enabled. 

2. Please use Dfsradmin to set the primary member in the situation where there is an existing replication group that is waiting for initial replication and no primary member is specified.

Dfsradmin Membership Set /RGName:<replication group name> /RFName:<replicated folder name> /MemName:<member you want to be primary> /IsPrimary:True

For example, assume that you want NA-DC-01 to be primary member server for the replicated folder DATA in the replication group RG1:

Dfsradmin Membership Set /RGName:RG1 /RFName:DATA /MemName:NA-DC-01 /IsPrimary:True

3. You may also run "Dfsrdiag Pollad" against all the members to force them to pick up this change as soon as possible.

Dfsrdiag Pollad /Member:<member name>

As you have setup primary member server and pollAD setting, one thing you may need to know: AD replication latency will often be a factor in how quickly the change is picked up. "Dfsrdiag Pollad" just tells the DFSR service to check its local DC for configuration changes. But if you ran the Dfsradmin command to set the primary member on a server that is using a different DC (very common in branch office scenarios), you will have to wait for that DC to replicate to the ones being used by the other DFSR members.

4. Afterwards, please re-initial a AD replication and then check in the DFSR event log on the primary member you set. If the DFS share folder successfully initialized replication, you should see a 4002 event followed by a 4112 event on the member that is the designated primary member.

Please note: Primary member server only take function during the initial replication. This is to say, the flag of primary member server will be automatically removed after the initial replication finishes.

5. If the error message still occurs, we need to collect the DFSR debug log (%windir%\debug\Dfsr#####.log) on the primary member for further research.

Note: You may Contact me here.

Hope it helps.

Thanks and Regards
    Scorpio_Milo
    MCTS: Windows Vista | Exchange Server 2007
    MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician
    MCITP: Server & Enterprise Administrator
    Microsoft Infrastructure Consultant
    Enterprise Service: Solution Architect
    Microsoft Storage Team - File Cabinet Blog
    My Blog
    Contact me

Saturday, May 14, 2011 10:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Sami, 

You may encounter the error message "waiting for initial replication" when no primary member is currently specified on the DFS Replication. This DFS member is waiting for initial replication for replicated share folder Public and is not currently participating in replication. This delay can occur because the member is waiting for the DFS Replication service to retrieve replication settings from Active Directory. After the member detects that it is part of replication group, the member will begin initial replication.  Besides, there is also possiblity that DFS servers cannot contact domain controller which could result in the issue.

1. Please first verify that all the target folder of Public folder is enabled. 

2. Please use Dfsradmin to set the primary member in the situation where there is an existing replication group that is waiting for initial replication and no primary member is specified.

Dfsradmin Membership Set /RGName:<replication group name> /RFName:<replicated folder name> /MemName:<member you want to be primary> /IsPrimary:True

For example, assume that you want NA-DC-01 to be primary member server for the replicated folder DATA in the replication group RG1:

Dfsradmin Membership Set /RGName:RG1 /RFName:DATA /MemName:NA-DC-01 /IsPrimary:True

3. You may also run "Dfsrdiag Pollad" against all the members to force them to pick up this change as soon as possible.

Dfsrdiag Pollad /Member:<member name>

As you have setup primary member server and pollAD setting, one thing you may need to know: AD replication latency will often be a factor in how quickly the change is picked up. "Dfsrdiag Pollad" just tells the DFSR service to check its local DC for configuration changes. But if you ran the Dfsradmin command to set the primary member on a server that is using a different DC (very common in branch office scenarios), you will have to wait for that DC to replicate to the ones being used by the other DFSR members.

4. Afterwards, please re-initial a AD replication and then check in the DFSR event log on the primary member you set. If the DFS share folder successfully initialized replication, you should see a 4002 event followed by a 4112 event on the member that is the designated primary member.

Please note: Primary member server only take function during the initial replication. This is to say, the flag of primary member server will be automatically removed after the initial replication finishes.

5. If the error message still occurs, we need to collect the DFSR debug log (%windir%\debug\Dfsr#####.log) on the primary member for further research.

Note: You may Contact me here.

Hope it helps.

Thanks and Regards
    Scorpio_Milo
    MCTS: Windows Vista | Exchange Server 2007
    MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician
    MCITP: Server & Enterprise Administrator
    Microsoft Infrastructure Consultant
    Enterprise Service: Solution Architect
    Microsoft Storage Team - File Cabinet Blog
    My Blog
    Contact me

Saturday, May 14, 2011 10:49 AM
  • Please let us know if there is any progress.
    Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 7:55 AM
  • Adding to this case i am also facing a similar issue where  i am getting the error mentioned below.

In my case it is the DFS-R setup between two 2008 R2 based machines in two different locations,where i plan to do this for 1.44 TB of data

I am getting the below error while fetching the DFs report

"This member is waiting for initial replication for replicated folder <xxxxx foldername>".

I have checked the debug logs & found the below error there.

"

+ [Error:9027(0x2343) InConnection::EstablishSession inconnection.cpp:6172 3384 C A failure was reported by the remote partner]
    + [Error:9027(0x2343) DownstreamTransport::EstablishSession downstreamtransport.cpp:4200 3384 C A failure was reported by the remote partner]
    + [Error:9027(0x2343) DownstreamTransport::EstablishSession downstreamtransport.cpp:4179 3384 C A failure was reported by the remote partner]
    + [Error:9051(0x235b) DownstreamTransport::EstablishSession downstreamtransport.cpp:4179 3384 C The content set is not ready]

the interesting thing is that i have checked the status of primary using the command "Dfsradmin Membership List /RGName:"Replication Group" /attr:MemName,RFName,IsPrimary" yesterday & found there is no primary set .then i have set one server(where we dump data) as the primary using the command given above.

But today i have noticed it is again changed back to as having no primary set.

why this is changing as i believe while setting the dfs initially we mentioned the same server as primary.

eagerly waiting for reply

Thursday, July 12, 2012 9:55 AM