Uprading windows server 2012 R2 to 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• I tried several times to upgrade my windows server 2012 R2 to 2016 but I stopped because in step 10 of the upgrade under "choose what to keep" windows only offers my "Nothing" and the option to "Keep personal files and apps" is blanked.

I tried multiple times but no success. BTW, the BuildLabEx value says I am running Windows Server 2012 R2.

I had the same problem when attempting to upgrade to 2019.

Any help ?

Saturday, June 6, 2020 4:34 PM

All replies

• What roles? Better option is to clean install, patch fully, migrate roles over to it.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, June 6, 2020 6:50 PM
  • Hi, 

Try to download Windows Server 2016 & 2019 ISO image from Volume Licensing Service Center website, then perform in-place upgrade through ISO image to check again.

If you want to perform clean installation as Dave's suggestion, we could refer the following link to migrate roll.

Migrating roles and features in Windows Server

Bests, 

" Please note that new questions regarding ‘Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment’ could NOT be posted in this forum anymore. This thread could be followed up until Mar-30th. We will be moving your thread to Microsoft Q&A if the deadline is missed. Register our new platform Microsoft Q&A (Preview)! for new questions or discussion. Check more details on sticky post.

• Proposed as answer by Joy-Qiao Monday, June 22, 2020 9:51 AM
    Monday, June 8, 2020 9:21 AM
  • Hi, 
    Any update?

If any reply is useful for you, please mark it as answer.

Bests, 

" Please note that new questions regarding ‘Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment’ could NOT be posted in this forum anymore. This thread could be followed up until Mar-30th. We will be moving your thread to Microsoft Q&A if the deadline is missed. Register our new platform Microsoft Q&A (Preview)! for new questions or discussion. Check more details on sticky post.

Monday, June 22, 2020 9:51 AM