none
Single VPN, multi site, multi DC, resolves multiple IP for domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

Not sure this is possible, but here goes.

I have a multiple site domain

Remote users create a VPN into thier most local site

VPN client uses most local AD DNS server

When connecting to resorces via \\domain.name I see massive delays, and am assuming this is because the DNS server is throwing back IP addresses of all DCs accross all sites, and the VPN connection only allows remote PC to access most local subnet.

Is there a way to have DNS respond with only the most local addresses, or am I trying to invent something that should be achieved with a better VPN connection?

Cheers

Preston

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 3:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting here.

In regard to your issue of making DNS server respond the most closest local IP address of dc, the method I can find so far is to delete unwanted A RR( same as parent folder) in your DNS server. I have test it in my environment, it worked successfully.

Then you can use ‘nslookup domain name’ to check the reply, which will only contain the IP address of DNS server you wanted.

But delecting these record may cause some unexpected problem during AD domain service( so far I haven’t experience these problems in my environment) . So it’s not suggested that you take this action if not strongly needed.

Test result:

Before deleting unwanted A RR:

After deleting unwanted A RR:

Hope my answer will help you. Thanks!

Best Regards,

Sunny Qi

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

• Proposed as answer by Sunny Qi 2020 Friday, July 17, 2020 10:46 AM
    Thursday, July 9, 2020 10:50 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

If any further assistance we could do, please let us know.

Best Regards,

Sunny

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Monday, July 13, 2020 6:34 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Sunny Qi

Wednesday, July 15, 2020 9:35 AM