none
Update DISM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i installed a new Windows ADK for Windows 10 on my WDS server 2012 R2. The last version is 10.1.14393
    but when i run dism.exe i see old version:

C:\Windows\system32>dism /?

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 6.3.9600.17031

and this is a reason why i can't update drivers for boot.wim:

PS C:\> Dism /image:c:\mount /Add-Driver /Driver:C:\Users\aleks\Desktop\PROWinx64\PRO1000\Winx64\NDIS62\*.inf

Version: 6.3.9600.17031

Error: 50

To service this Windows image requires the latest version of the DISM. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=293395
     to find the latest version of DISM,
    and http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=293394 to learn how to install the latest version of DISM from the ADK on you
    r computer.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log
    Monday, August 8, 2016 5:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The environment PATH for PowerShell was looking at the old DISM toolkit and importing the old modules.You could change it by this:

At PS admin prompt

PS C:\Windows\system32> $env:path = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\amd64\DISM"

PS C:\Windows\system32> import-module "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\amd64\DISM"

PS C:\Windows\system32> dism /?

Version: 10.0.14393.0

tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 6:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The environment PATH for PowerShell was looking at the old DISM toolkit and importing the old modules.You could change it by this:

At PS admin prompt

PS C:\Windows\system32> $env:path = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\amd64\DISM"

PS C:\Windows\system32> import-module "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\amd64\DISM"

PS C:\Windows\system32> dism /?

Version: 10.0.14393.0

tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 6:10 AM
  • Thank you Cartman.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2016 9:26 AM
  • I want to second this issue, and the fix posted by Cartman Shen works.

However what I noticed is it is a temporary fix, it doesn't forever tie WDS to the updated DISM. If I open a new instance of Powershell at a later date, DISM has reverted back to the 6.3.9600.1703 version. Is there a more permanent solution?

Friday, July 14, 2017 12:58 PM
  • Hello,

I have the same problem!

its a temporary fix

Monday, September 18, 2017 2:47 PM
  • Here's what I did to solve the problem, and it's working so far.

The issue is the version mismatch of dism.exe - which is 10.x in the ADK and 6.x from Server 2012r2.

What's happening is the PATH environment variable on the server has "%SystemRoot%\system32" at the very front, so that's where it looks for dism.exe first, and it finds version 6.3.9600.17031

I solved the problem by sticking the path to dism.exe in the ADK at the front of the PATH environment on the server, like so:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\amd64\DISM;%SystemRoot%\system32;etc,etc

Now when you open a PowerShell or cmd.exe prompt, and run dism.exe /? I get version 10.0.16299.15 from the ADK instead of the old one from the server.

I scheduled updates to be applied to my workstation deployment image last night and it succeeded, where it had been failing. Also, the temporary servicing folders disappeared when it was done, where they had been failing to dismount.

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 2:39 PM
  • We tried the environment path change but still reverted back to old DISM. Anyone had luck getting it to point to the New DISM version permanently?

ecb

Thursday, November 16, 2017 3:52 PM
  • Thank you so much. This worked perfectly. Added these lines to the beginning of the script code and it worded great.
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 6:45 PM
  • Could you please explain in more details?
    Monday, January 15, 2018 10:52 AM
  • Better option is to change the directory on command prompt to C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\amd64\DISM and then run dism.exe from there. it will work.

Mark answer if useful.

Sourabh Kanoongo

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 4:12 PM
  • Go to System Properties - Environment Variables, select Path and click Edit then Edit text. Add C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\amd64\DISM; to the front of the variable value.
    • Proposed as answer by Yoann3411 Wednesday, March 27, 2019 9:04 AM
    Thursday, May 10, 2018 9:18 PM
  • My understanding is that DISM is backward compatible. Any reason we can't just replace the older version in system32\ with the one in ADK\deployment tools? Save the hassle of having to do any of the above and removes the risk that at some point you may possible load the old version. 

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 11:10 AM
  • Persistent solution.

Emphasizing on "...to the FRONT of the variable value".

Sunday, November 10, 2019 10:40 PM