none
Windows 8 cannot connect on Sever 2008 R2 Hyper V Manager

Question

• When I open the Hyper-V manager on my Windows 8 Release Preview I can connect to other 2012 Server normally, but if I try to connect to a Windows Server 2008 R2 hyper-v Host I get this error:

"An error occurred while attempting to connect to server...."

"This version of Hyper-V manager cannot be used to manage servers running Hyper-V on Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2"

Any work around?

Saturday, June 02, 2012 1:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• Could you clearly describe your topology?
    By the way, Hyper-V can't be used for both applications.

T.s

SharePoint Vietnam | Blog | Twitter

Saturday, June 02, 2012 1:43 PM
  • This is expected behavior, Andre. There is no workaround other than using Win2008 R2/Win7+RSAT to connect to your down-level hypervisors.

Please read the following: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2012/05/30/the-v2-wmi-namespace-in-hyper-v-on-windows-8.aspx

Ned Pyle [MSFT] | Support Escalation Engineer | Windows Distributed Systems | Charlotte, NC USA

Saturday, June 02, 2012 7:05 PM
  • Does "Win2008 R2/Win7+RSAT" run on Windows 8?
    Friday, August 17, 2012 1:49 PM
  • Since Hyper-V manager in Windows 8 does not support Windows/Hyper-V server 2008 R2... you can use 5nine Manager (http://5nine.com/5nine-manager-for-hyper-v-product.aspx) to manage your Hyper-V server (2008).

It is still in Preview... but it is free and works fine.

I hope it helps.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 9:58 PM
  • This seems completely crazy to me.

So here's my situation, i'm trying to set up a brand new Hyper-V 2008 R2 server in an environment that is all XP and Windows 2003.

So i brought in a laptop which is running the RTM windows 8 (32 bit) , and i find out now i have no way to configure new VMs or virtual disks.

i knew XP and 2003 would be a problem but i am absolutely shocked that you cannot do it from windows 8.

As an IT consultant, Microsoft is basically forcing me to stick with Windows 7 if i want to be able to support environments that are running Hyper-V 2008/2008 R2.

You'd think things would be designed such to encourage people to upgrade.

• Edited by mnri Thursday, August 30, 2012 9:19 PM
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 8:55 PM
  • This seems completely crazy to me.

So here's my situation, i'm trying to set up a brand new Hyper-V 2008 R2 server in an environment that is all XP and Windows 2003.

So i brought in a laptop which is running the RTM windows 8 (32 bit) , and i find out now i have no way to configure new VMs or virtual disks.

i knew XP and 2003 would be a problem but i am absolutely shocked that you cannot do it from windows 8.

As an IT consultant, Microsoft is basically forcing me to stick with Windows 7 if i want to be able to support environments that are running Hyper-V 2008/2008 R2.

I agree.. I just installed Win8 and tried to load my Hyper-V environment only to find out I either need to downgrade my desktop now or upgrade my Hyper-V enviroment. Nice way of forcing upgrades down our throats MS.

Thanks, Andrew

Saturday, September 08, 2012 5:28 PM
  • Or, stick with W7 and work more efficiently.

This seems completely crazy to me.

I agree.. I just installed Win8 and tried to load my Hyper-V environment only to find out I either need to downgrade my desktop now or upgrade my Hyper-V enviroment. Nice way of forcing upgrades down our throats MS.

Thanks, Andrew

Tomás Mason
    Monday, September 17, 2012 11:13 PM
  • Does anyone know when a fix will be released for this issue? I am extremely disappointed in their decision to release 8 without supporting what I would guess is the most critical function to current admins who support Hyper-V environments. Big mistake MS!

While I'm on a roll, I'd prefer you make it a bit easier to exclude the Xbox gui. Serious admins want to be able to get to their tools quickly not sift through glamour.

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 7:33 PM
  • this is complete insanity...

no backwards capability on RSAT tools?

I mean what the heck are you guys thinking over there...I know they got some good stuff out west, but you guys may need to cut back a little...the real world does not find this amusing in the least

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to me and deleting it from your computer. Thank you

• Edited by sbogar Monday, October 08, 2012 2:41 PM
    Monday, October 08, 2012 2:40 PM
  • Since Hyper-V manager in Windows 8 does not support Windows/Hyper-V server 2008 R2... you can use 5nine Manager to manage your Hyper-V server (2008).

I hope it helps.

I would like to note for other people who try this out. The free version does not let you connect to the VMs, only start/stop them.
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 2:14 PM
  • It helps to remember that the guy in charge of S2012 development is the same guy who created Powershell.

Powershell nerds rule!

Since Hyper-V manager in Windows 8 does not support Windows/Hyper-V server 2008 R2... you can use 5nine Manager to manage your Hyper-V server (2008).

I hope it helps.

I would like to note for other people who try this out. The free version does not let you connect to the VMs, only start/stop them.

Tomás Mason
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 8:40 AM
  • SAY WHAT!?  I just simply can't believe that Microsoft is creating such a debacle for themselves, and a MAJOR problem for the IT world.  Did MS really release a new OS that's not backwards compatible?!  What the heck are they thinking???   Are they trying to follow Apple again???   SCREW THAT!!  At what point in reality does it make sense to not let a new OS work with last gen software?  I mean sure - I'd understand if they cut ties with 2003/xp since that's three gens old now, but 2008, and especially R2 - how can these not work together?!  Does Windows 7 have the ability to manage 2012 hyper-vs?  If not, then I guess I need to plan for some major downtime while I upgrade all my IT staff workstations to Windows 8, and all my hyper-v hosts to 2012... does that seem like the right way to do things?

I'm baffled and shocked.  How did this come to pass?  Was the whole IT world left out of testing for windows 8?  I personally HATE the Metro look and interface, so I was avoiding it until now.  </rant>

Saturday, October 27, 2012 7:44 PM
  • I have to agree. The Metro Interface is so un-admin friendly. Microsoft should have considered this when it came to a domain enviroment. I understand the need to push a more "tablet-like" enviroment, but not every company can afford to mass deploy tablets or touch interfaces. If Microsoft intends to compete with Apple in the touch UX, they need to understand that you can't just throw massive changes on users like you have in Windows 8. Change needs to be slow and progressive.. Apple has SLOWLY integrated and merged IOS with Mac OSX's UX and it hasn't completed that merge yet.. MS on the other hand forced it upon us all.. it almost feels like a desperate attempt to catch up with it's competitor.

I am by NO means an Apple FanBoy, I prefer the Windows enviroment over Mac OSX. The key point here is that, if you mean to move away from the "point & click" UX, than it needs to be done at a MUCH slower pace to give users and admins time to adjust. I hate to say it, but Apple got it right in that area.. Microsoft just seems rushed and desperate to survive.

Thanks, Andrew

Saturday, October 27, 2012 8:03 PM
  • Expected behavior by who??? What complete BS!!!  I am absolutely boiling over this.  Windows 8 is being removed from my workstation  as soon as I am done this message.

We will not be upgrading our 30+ servers to Window Server 2012 overnight and if we can't manage our existing servers then what the hell good is Windows 8.  I feel like I am reliving the Windows ME debacle.

What in God's name is MS thinking?  Someone screwed the pooch on this one!!!  Idiots....

• Edited by 2ndRangers Monday, October 29, 2012 2:01 PM
    Monday, October 29, 2012 2:01 PM
  • Hello! We are using vtUtilities to manage both Hyper-V 2008 R2 and Hyper-V 2012 from Windows 8. Fantastic tool!
    • Proposed as answer by Stella Stanford Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:47 PM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:15 PM
  • I will check out vtUtilities, thank you much, m. goldman.  :-)

I guess my next question is...  If WMI and APIs are the reason Microsoft can't release a Hyper V Management tool on Windows 8 and or 7 that functions with  2008R2 and 2012, how come a third party developer can?

Again, this seems to be a fabricated limitation by MS, not a true technical limitation, and a ploy to force an upgrade path. 

I wonder if Steven Sinofsky got the boot because of the well thought out strategy of Windows 8 in the Enterprise, I mean how else are you going to remotely manage your 2012 Server?  It makes complete sense not to be able to utilize your Windows 7 Enterprise box to manage a 2012 server, right?? (rolling my eyes).

• Edited by 2ndRangers Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:50 PM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:42 PM
  • Thanks, just downloaded and the first impression is good. Sad, MS dropped the ball.
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:46 PM
  • This is expected behavior, Andre. There is no workaround other than using Win2008 R2/Win7+RSAT to connect to your down-level hypervisors.

Please read the following: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2012/05/30/the-v2-wmi-namespace-in-hyper-v-on-windows-8.aspx

Ned Pyle [MSFT] | Support Escalation Engineer | Windows Distributed Systems | Charlotte, NC USA

From your link:

What we did was to create a new WMI namespace for Hyper-V.

At the same time we also maintained the old WMI namespace and kept 100% compatibility with the APIs from Windows Server 2008 / Windows Server 2008 R2 – however, this namespace does not have any APIs for new Windows 8 / Windows Server 2012 features.

Selecting to use one WMI namespace or another is as simple as specifying the “root\virtualization” or “root\virtualization\v2” namespace on your WMI query.

So, forward compatibility was planned. Both WMI namespaces are available, just new features are only available using the v2 namespace - this is quite acceptable, and expected. This allows older RSAT versions to have at least some control over newer Hyper-V servers/VMs.

Also from your link:

In order to support all of the new features in Windows 8 / Windows Server 2012 we had to move our management tools to using the new v2 WMI namespace.

This is technically incorrect, and the subtle spin being used in this sentence is inexcusable. This makes it sound as though a business decision (marketing decision?) is really an insurmountable technical limitation.

You already have working code for managing Hyper-V servers using the old namespace. Simply check for the existence of the Hyper-V v2 WMI namespace, and if found, use it instead.

The lack of backward compatibility, after the effort to allow forward compatibility (the harder kind to achieve) has already been put in, reeks of hard-sell tactics.

To reiterate:

Selecting to use one WMI namespace or another is as simple as specifying the “root\virtualization” or “root\virtualization\v2” namespace on your WMI query.
    Why was this Microsoft advice not used by Microsoft coders?

Monday, November 26, 2012 2:32 AM
  • This is pretty idiotic. There was another thread:-

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserver8gen/thread/1c2d0578-cc29-40bb-8bf3-00258759338b/

in which the answer offered to the problem (will there be an RSAT for Server 2012 that runs on Windows 7) was "No. But you can install a Windows 8 box and RSAT for Windows 8". That was a pretty lame answer. But.. if you could do that and manage down-level servers from the Windows 8 platform, maybe something you could do.

But what MS are saying now is that if you have a heterogeneous environment then you must have both Windows 8 and Windows 7 desktops to manage that. So if it takes me some months to upgrade my Windows 2008 R2 servers to Windows 2012, I have to use two desktops (or the equally stupid answer "why not install a VM on your Windows 7 desktop and run Windows 8 in that").

I cannot manage a Windows 2008 Cluster from my Windows 8 desktop. So it's not just Hyper-V that you are prevented from managing... this is so farcical that you would almost believe that it's a ploy by MS to force you to upgrade to the latest... oh... wait.....

Monday, November 26, 2012 8:43 AM
  • I am really getting tired of this Microsoft doesn't work with Microsoft crap. I just loaded Win 8 on my company laptop and getting used to the new interface even though it takes longer to do anything. I start setting up my required management tools and the very first item is Hyper-V manager and BANG!! you cant do that?!?! We will NOT be using this OS on our 500 workstations if we can't use it in our own department. Time to reload Windows 7 and skip Server 2012.
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:39 PM
  • What's worse than not building in the support is the fact that this thread was started in June and the only MS response is "it's expected behavior". Really? Once again, MS will wait for a third party to resolve their lack of caring and just buy them. I hope vtUtilities makes a quick 100 million tomorrow!

Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:51 PM
  • I am really getting tired of this Microsoft doesn't work with Microsoft crap. I just loaded Win 8 on my company laptop and getting used to the new interface even though it takes longer to do anything. I start setting up my required management tools and the very first item is Hyper-V manager and BANG!! you cant do that?!?! We will NOT be using this OS on our 500 workstations if we can't use it in our own department. Time to reload Windows 7 and skip Server 2012.

It is more than just Hyper V Manager, it is the whole RSAT suite of tools.   Yeah, we are tired of it too...
    • Proposed as answer by Texas-IT Friday, January 04, 2013 4:32 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Texas-IT Friday, January 04, 2013 4:32 PM
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:08 PM
  • Hi,

for my understanding:

1. Use Windows 7 for managing 2008 R2 Hyper-V

2. Use Windows 8 for managing 2012 Hyper-V

Is this really the case?

• Proposed as answer by Klaus Hahn Monday, March 04, 2013 2:42 PM
    Monday, March 04, 2013 9:51 AM
  • The short answer is - YES. Astonishingly, that is the case.

The longer answer is that you can use AM7 based RSAT tools to connect to and manage Hyper-V on 2012, but not get access to the newer features such as replication of the VMs. But you can't use Windows 8 to connect to Hyper-V on 2008 at all.

So bizarrely, MS appear to have opted for the approach of "if you want to upgrade some of your servers to 2012 and Hyper-V3 then don;t buy Windows 8". Rather than allowing Windows 8 to connect to both 2012 and 2008.

What would make sense (perhaps only to me) is to allow the current "limited functionality" connect and manage from Windows 7 (ie full function support for 2008/Hyper-V2, and Hyper-V2 support when connecting to 2012/Hyper-V3), they would have full functionality when using Windows 8. That would be a "selling point" for encouraging you to upgrade to Windows 8  since it would mean one platform manages all servers.

But they haven;t and if you want to manage all servers from one platform, you are better of staying on Windows 7 - then using RDP to connect directly to Server 2012 for when you need the new features (like managing replication).

Dumb - I know...

• Proposed as answer by Klaus Hahn Monday, March 04, 2013 2:42 PM
    Monday, March 04, 2013 10:03 AM
  • You got it. Absolutely absurd!
    Monday, March 04, 2013 2:20 PM
  • Wait, what?

That is completely ignorant move by Microsoft!!

Large data centers can take years to migrate all servers and some never can for various reason. So now you just made the case to not upgrade the company to Windows 8!!

There are no technical reasons to not support both old and new environments. Not asking for supporting old NT 4.0 or even 2000/2003 environments. Not supporting one generation older versions is completely stupid and there is ZERO rationale for it.

I will now be letting all my clients know that they should avoid upgrading to a Windows 8 / Server 2012 environment for the time being.

I just can't believe all the wrong moves that are being made on this latest incarnations of the Windows environment.

• Edited by Clintre Wednesday, March 20, 2013 10:14 PM spelling
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 6:21 PM
  • vtUtillities is now payware and is a bit buggy.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 6:29 PM
  • Unfortunately they (MS) have not made it easy to convince clients to upgrade their servers to 2012.  As a MS Partner I can usually find the silver lining somewhere and make some justification for the MS upgrade paths, however this issue has painted me into a corner, where I can really only market Windows 7 as I viable solution for an enterprise environment, ultimately delaying any notion of server upgrades. 

I never push an upgrade to the latest server platform until the first SP, as I am not particularly fond of dealing with release bugs, but at this point I am not suggesting any of my clients upgrade there servers, because it would entail Windows 8 for IT staff, forcing them to have a Windows 7 and 8 workstation available to deal with day to day admin tasks.

I hate to say it but this smells of a revenue booster for MS. 

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 6:41 PM
  • We can't use Server Manager 2012 to connect to Hyper-V 2008 R2 either?

WTF!! .. huge stupidity forcing so.. This is INSANE, first time MSFT Cuts compatibility with the immediate inferior OS ...

I understand win2008r2 doesn't have all the options win2012 does, but, at least, let us use it from a NEWER OS, with the '2012 features' disabled!!

And yes, Win8 Metro is Horrible for admins, so no IT staff is gonna upgrade his desktop to win8, just be able to administer win2012 .. and if we swallow Win8, the we can't connecto to Hyper-V2008r2 either ..... well, a patch must be cooking, or we will talk about Win7mode on Win8 .......

Well, we have Start8.. we are already late for a SP to R2 and/or ServerManager2012 to be able to coexist Hyper-V's .. That's a MUST..!!!!

MCSE 2003

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 12:02 AM
  • My opinion that I actually agree with all above. Can't understand this limitation. Frankly, it makes my daily work with environments more complex now days. Technical description is completely pointless - it is easy to do. I would advise Microsoft to care about reputation wisely. Otherwise - it is a way to loose enterprise also.
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:11 PM
  • Microsoft probably just assumed that if you don't have any Windows 7 computers available to manage Hyper-V 2008 R2, then you probably are also using the latest Server OS.

Either that or they expect you to use MED-V or App-V.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 3:02 PM
  • I don't understand how third party vendors can come up with a way to create a tool to let us manage our Windows servers and Microsoft can't give us those tools.  We already spend so much $$$$, give us some darn tools we can use to manage our servers.  Is that so much to ask? 
    Monday, August 26, 2013 2:43 PM
  • Just ran into this same issue myself and am just as disappointed and shocked as the rest of you. Microsoft is eroding one of their biggest advantages in the enterprise, backwards compatibility. Hopefully the new CEO will turn things in the right direction.
    Monday, September 30, 2013 4:33 PM
  • F$#^ing BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Wednesday, October 09, 2013 3:56 PM
  • This is completely insane. W8 is completely useless to me then. How is this even possible? I can't believe I can't manage my machines with RSAT.

I hope someone got fired for this.

...I can't even....

Sunday, October 27, 2013 6:42 PM
  • I tried out 5nine Manager and it works very well. But as of June 2014 they want $199/year per Hyper-V Host. So in a server room that has 20 Hyper-V host you are talking about $4k/year.  The software was very cool, but not that cool... on to the next software.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 5:06 PM