none
Register VSS system files on Windows 2003 Enterprise x64

Question

• I have a Windows 2003 Enterprise R2 x64 server with VSS issues. The volume Shadow Copy has a status of "stopping" under services and I can only fix by restarting the server.  When I checked the logs I found the following:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: VSS
    Event ID: 12302
    Description: Volume Shadow Copy Service error: An internal inconsistency was detected in trying to contact shadow copy service writers. Please check to see that the Event Service and Volume Shadow Copy Service are operating properly.

I did a search on the internet and found the article below indicating that the cause is due to VSS system files not being registered.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940032  This article indicated that i need to perform the following tasks

• cd /d %windir%\system32
    • Net stop vss
    • Net stop swprv
    • regsvr32 ole32.dll
    • regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
    • regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
    • vssvc /register
    • regsvr32 /i swprv.dll
    • regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
    • regsvr32 es.dll
    • regsvr32 stdprov.dll
    • regsvr32 vssui.dll
    • regsvr32 msxml.dll
    • regsvr32 msxml3.dll
    • regsvr32 msxml4.dll  (Note The last command may not run successfully.)

Since this is 2003 Enterprise R2 64bit system I have both system32 directory and sysSWOW64 I searched for the files above and found the following results:

ole32.dll     - Listed in system32 and sysSWOW64
    oleaut32.dll  - Listed in system32 and sysSWOW64
    vss_ps.dll    - Listed in system32 and sysSWOW64

swprv.dll     - Listed only in system32
    eventcls.dll  - Listed only in system32
    es.dll       - Listed in system32 and sysSWOW64 
    stdprov.dll   - Listed in system32 and sysSWOW64
    vssui.dll     - Listed only in system32
    msxml.dll     - Listed under SysSWOW64 while Under system32 there is a file called "interop_msxml.dll" 
    msxml3.dll    - Listed in system32 and sysSWOW64
    msxml4.dll    - Not listed in either directory.

Anyone know how I can register VSS System Files under 2003 Enterprise R2 x64?

Thanks....

Thursday, August 26, 2010 2:51 PM

All replies

• Hi there,

When available, use the ones in C:\Windows\system32. Keep in mind to run regsvr32.exe from C:\Windows\system32 in this case, because it'll try to register 64-bit dll's then. If the dll is only available in the syswow64 directory, run regsvr32.exe from c:\windows\system32\syswow64.

Also, check http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282747 for more information.

Regards,

Stefan Hazenbroek

Thursday, August 26, 2010 4:55 PM